Supernatural Science Fiction posted February 23, 2022 Chapters:  ...102 103 -104- 105... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

The Unexpected Guests

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. If you notice typos or mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & I hope you enjoy!
In an exclusive Novella set in the world of the Breedline—a secret species of humans who are born with the power to shift into wolves—Shana Congrove tells the story of a young boy, Joseph Parker who—grieving over his mother’s death at the hands of his abusive father—finds his world turned upside down. While his father awaits sentencing, Joseph is placed into the system, going from one foster family to another. And just when things couldn’t get any worse, an evil entity invades his body, introducing itself as the Shadow.

Twenty-one years later, as this mysterious demonic spirit continues to inhabit Joseph’s body, it manipulates his mind, luring him toward something dark and sinister… something that is beyond his control. 
    
Carrie Randall—a substance abuse counselor who is unsuccessful at dating and cursed with a boss from hell—comes face-to-face with death when two men approach her in a dark alley. In the midst of her assault, something resembling a werewolf, comes to her rescue in the nick of time. As she tries to process everything—unsure if what she witnessed was real or fantasy—her world suddenly collides with a handsome stranger as though they were somehow brought together by fate.  

Despite her past relationships, Carrie finds herself spellbound, falling for Joseph Parker—a handsome, yet mysterious journalist who works for an esteemed newspaper in Berkeley, California. But when Carrie discovers his terrifying secrets, she begins to fear for her life.   

Now Carrie is forced to make the hardest decision of her life. Will she turn her back on Joseph or stay and help him fight the demon who desires her soul? 
             
Previously. . .

“Somehow the demon chose to leave my body and enter yours for a reason.”

“But why?”    
                            
“I don’t know, Carrie. But I do know we cannot do this alone. We’re going to need help.”

“You really think my Uncle Frank and his partner will believe us?”

“Yes,” he said softly, then glanced down at his phone, realizing time was getting away from them. “Now go ahead and get dressed while I start a pot of coffee. I have a feeling we’re going to need it. And stop worrying.” He leaned in and kissed her forehead. “We’ll figure this out.”

“It won’t take me long to get ready,” said Carrie. “Then I’ll drive you to your apartment so you can pick up a few things, like something other than what you had on yesterday.”

He glanced down at his boxers, recalling the clothes he’d been wearing. Then, he chuckled. “Yeah, a pair of jogging shorts and an old t-shirt isn’t exactly proper party attire. Plus, I don’t want to make a bad impression when I meet your uncle.”

“I think that ship has already sailed, buster,” said Carrie, arching a brow. “I don’t think he’s going to be too focused on your fashion.”

“Let’s just pray he leaves his handcuffs behind, and instead, brings an open mind.”

She sighed. “Me too.”   
      
Without another word, Carrie went into the bathroom. As soon as she shut the door behind her, Joseph slipped on the only clothes he had, and headed for the kitchen. As he was about to reach into the cabinet where Carrie stored the coffee, there was a knock at the door. He stood there for a moment, wondering if he should answer it. He waited, hoping Carrie’s roommate had returned from Ryan’s while they were sleeping and would take care of it. But when the knock persisted, his wishful thinking took a nosedive.

I guess it’s up to me, he thought, staring at the coffeepot in desperation. Before he went for the door, he pointed at the coffee maker and muttered, “I’ll be back for you later.” 

Continued. . .
 
When Joseph unlatched the lock and opened the door, he was greeted by two men. The taller one with a short-trimmed haircut was dressed in a tailored fit jacket, a navy button-down shirt, and a matching striped tie. The other guy sported a James Dean hairdo and wore a brown leather jacket, jeans, and a pair of worn-out cowboy boots. They both looked to be in their late forties or early fifties, and by the look on their faces, it was evident they were shocked to see him. Probably because they weren’t expecting a guy to answer the door to Carrie and Jessica’s apartment, he thought.

“Hi.” Joseph shot them a tentative smile. “Can I help you?”  

The taller guy narrowed his eyes and took a step forward. “Who are you?”

Suddenly, Joseph felt his adrenaline spike. “Uh…” His Adam's apple bobbed as he swallowed. “I’m Joseph. Carrie’s boyfriend.” 

“Joseph Parker?” asked the other guy, his nostrils flaring.

“Y-Yeah,” Joseph nervously replied, nodding. “H-How did you know my—”

The guy with the James Dean look pushed his way inside. “Mr. Parker,” he said, reaching inside his leather jacket. “Don’t move.” When he brought his hand back, he held a gun in his grasp.

Joseph froze. “W-What?”

As Carrie rushed into the room, she saw her Uncle Frank and his partner, Detective Manuel Sanchez, detaining Joseph in a pair of handcuffs.

Frank held up a halting hand. “Stay back, Carrie.”

 “Please, Uncle Frank,” she pleaded. “Don’t hurt him.”

Uncle Frank? Joseph feverishly thought. Shit!

“We’re not going to hurt him, sweetheart,” Frank murmured. “But you have to understand. Joseph is not the person you think he is. He’s very dangerous.”

“No…” Carrie helplessly shook her head. “It’s not his fault.”

Jessica and Ryan, oblivious to the current situation, walked through the open doorway with their arms full of bags of groceries.

“Carrie are you—” Jessica stopped in her tracks with her mouth agape when she saw Joseph with his hands cuffed behind his back and Manuel holding him at gunpoint.

“Guys,” Frank called out, motioning toward Jessica and Ryan. “I need you two to move out of the way.”

Jessica instantly dropped the bags to the floor and looked at Carrie with bewilderment stamped all over her face. “What the hell is going on?”

Ryan quickly set his bags down and looped his arm around Jessica. “Come on, honey.” He pulled her aside. “Let’s get out of their way.”

Everything seemed to move in slow motion as Carrie stood there, watching the events surrounding her unfold into a nightmare. Then, a voice deep within her subconscious spoke to her. “Kill them, Carrie. Kill them all.”   
        

Frank reached into his jacket for his phone. As soon as he searched through his contacts, he initiated a call. “Tim,” he began, “this is Detective Perkins. We’ve got Mr. Parker in our custody. As for now, he’s not resisting. We’re at my niece’s apartment building on 1477 Fillmore Street. Carrie’s apartment is on the second floor. Number 26B.”

As Frank continued the phone call, Joseph looked to the other man who had the gun. “Please, listen to me.” Joseph’s voice sounded desperate. “Before you haul me off, there’s something Carrie and I need to tell you in private.” He averted his eyes, looking between Jessica and Ryan, then focused back to Manuel. “I’m begging you…” His expression was pleading. “This is urgent.”

“We know more than you think, Mr. Parker,” said Manuel. “If you cooperate with us, we’ll do everything we can to help you. There’s a special group of people on their way. And hopefully they can figure out how to get rid of your problem.”

“What group of people?” Jessica interjected. “This is my apartment too, and I have the right to know what’s going on?”

“Jessica…” Ryan tugged her closer. “I think we should stay out of this.”

Jessica huffed, pulled away from Ryan, and crossed her arms. Then, her eyes wandered in Carrie’s direction. The second she caught sight of her best friend’s face, she immediately placed a hand over her mouth and gasped. Carrie’s sun-kissed complexion was deathly pale, and the whites of her eyes were nothing but ominous black orbs.  
     
Unaware of Carrie’s newfound appearance, Joseph kept his eyes trained on Manuel. “What sort of problem are you referring to?”

“You know…” said Manuel, trying not to say too much in front of Jessica and Ryan. “Your Shadow problem.”

Joseph’s eyes rounded and his jaw nearly hit the floor. He couldn’t believe it. How could they possibly know?

Before Joseph managed to get another word out, a group of large men barged through the open doorway. Instantly, all eyes were on them. Jessica quickly latched onto Ryan’s arm when she saw a guy with a black, short-trimmed Mohawk, wearing a pair of dark rimmed sunglasses who towered to the height of at least six-seven or more. His intimidating stature alone was frightening, not to mention his bulging, muscular arms. He had a word tattooed on his neck, but she couldn’t make out what it said.

As he moved in closer, Ryan peered up at the guy like he recognized him. And by the expression on the guy’s face, he looked surprised to see Ryan.  
  
Jessica instantly averted her eyes from the scary Mohawked guy when two more strangers entered. They were remarkably handsome and looked identical, except one had a scar on the left side of his temple. Their long, blonde hair made her think of musicians from an 80s rock band. Behind them, another guy came inside with a black satchel strapped over his shoulder. He had a menacing look about him, but not as much as the Mohawked guy.

Then, two more guys appeared. Both had ink black, shoulder length hair. One had olive skin and dark set eyes. By his prominent features, he looked European. The other guy had a palish complexion with a distinguished aura about him. His eyes were an odd color. They had to be contact lenses, Jessica thought. No one really had purple eyes.

When the group of hulking men crowded into the apartment, a tall, blonde-headed woman stepped inside and moved next to the guy with purple eyes. She squared her shoulders and focused on Joseph with a narrowed stare. Although the woman had a petite frame, she gave off the vibe that she could take care of herself. Her facial expression was nothing but stone cold. The woman reeked of confidence and perseverance. Then, she lifted her chin and deeply inhaled, her nostrils flaring as she sniffed the air. Jessica nervously watched as the woman shifted her attention away from Joseph and focused her eyes on Carrie with a baleful glare.

The instant she tore her gaze away from Carrie, she looked to the men, who were obviously part of her crew, and said, “It’s no longer possessing Joseph.” She pointed toward Carrie. “The Shadow’s in the girl.”

The Shadow? Jessica thought. What the hell did she mean by that? 

"Who the hell are you people?" demanded Jessica, her eyes roaming over all the unfamiliar faces. "And what the hell is going on here?"

Ignoring Jessica's outburst, Frank frantically looked back and forth from Carrie to Jena, until finally, his eyes feasted upon his niece in stunned disbelief. "Oh God..." His voice trembled. "C-Carrie..."

As the blonde-headed woman started forward, her eyes locked on Carrie, the guy with the satchel raised a halting hand. “Jena, wait..." His firm tone stopped her in her tracks. “Let’s try our plan first.”
 
With her lips drawn in a thin line, Jena nodded an understanding, then sternly said, "You've got one shot at this, Tim." Her voice sounded ready for lethal force if needed. "You better pray it works."

"If Tim's plan doesn't work," said one of the guys who looked like an 80s rocker, "I'll use my powers."

"No, Jem..." blurted Frank, his eyes pleading with the blond, long-haired rocker. "You'll kill her. Please... Carrie is like a daughter to me."

The long-haired guy, who Frank addressed as Jem, looked at him grimly. "I'm sorry, Frank. But we may have no choice. We have to stop the demon."

The man with the satchel slipped it off his shoulders and reached inside. The moment he brought his hand out, he held what looked to be a tranquilizer gun in his grasp.

"Everyone ready?" asked Tim, knowing he had one shot at this. And if the tranquilizer wasn't enough to sedate the evil entity possessing Carrie, they would have to resort to using Jem's deadly powers.

After a fleeting moment, Tim received affirmative nods within his group.    
 
To be continued. . .                     
 

 



Book of the Month contest entry


NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

Carrie Randall - She is Detective Frank Perkin's niece. She works as a substance abuse counselor in Berkeley, California. She has a love interest in Joseph Parker.

Joseph Parker (a.k.a. Joseph Harris) - He works at the San Francisco Chronicle as a freelance journalist. At age five, an evil entity invaded his body after his father murdered his mother. While his father was sent to prison for his crime, Joseph was placed into several foster families until finally forced into a mental institute after diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychopathic behavior. As time passed and with the evil entity's guidance, Joseph was later released into society.

The Shadow - An evil entity who has possessed Joseph Parker. Its main purpose is to gain access to souls by using its host to kill, consuming human flesh.

Jena McCain - She is an inspiring artist with the ability to speak with the dead. Jena was attacked and bitten by an age-old creature and cursed with a lust for human blood. Now that she is to become the creature and hunt humans, instead of killing innocent people, she will only hunt evil.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Jessica - Carrie's best friend and roommate.

Ryan - Jessica's boyfriend.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.