War and History Fiction posted February 21, 2022 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Giselle is summoned by the Emperor himself.

A chapter in the book Rise from the Fall

Summons

by Rinshikai

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.



Background
Colton Arverni is an auxiliary soldier in service to the Empire. When an aspiring new commander jeopardizes the northern frontier, Colton's life is changed forever.

Iona

Why did I agree to this? My regular armor would have sufficed. This chainmail and plates hug my body, and the leather shielding on my arms reminds me of a pig wearing the finary of a noble. I'm supposed to look like an Imperial officer, but all I see is me?" the sword, shield, and helm complete the charade.

Across from me, Giselle's stoic expression matches her new look. A steel crown protects her head while a heavy cloak drapes over her shoulders. Its mane is held aloof by a rope. A pauldron of a boar's head guards her shoulder with a feral stare.

These three months have not been good for any of us. We share this carpentum, a veil of purple hiding us from prying eyes. Hahaku rides outside, forging a path through the crowded streets. Uncomfortable seats, the crowds, if it wasn't for the pay, I swear I would never have done this. The reserved woman I had come to know is distracted. A torc holds her focus, hiding the storm of emotions.

News of Runa's capture spread like wildfire. Every day, more refugees would flood the city. In response, the northern frontier grew unstable, and the Empire swelled the Legio X Equestris ranks. The promise of a swift victory echoed for weeks. Then nothing. No word had reached the capital since. It was as if the Legion had just disappeared. The fear of not knowing made this situation truly terrifying.

In response, The Emperor himself had summoned Giselle. Though I doubt she could provide anything his men couldn't. "Do you have any idea what's going on?" I ask, only for her to ignore me. She places the torc next to her with a heavy sigh, trying to rub away the migraine forming in her thoughts.

"No, but I fear the worst." Again, she plays with the torc, but I take it from her out of annoyance. With my point made, she fixes herself. "The Jarls' messages are a mixed bag." The voices outside become a tide of chanting. "Some claim it's Berserker raids, and others say a new revolt is on the horizon."

"And you?"

"I don't know, Iona." The shadows of the crowds creep through the window like tendrils from a great beast. Only to be consumed by our guards' imposing form. They show their anger by throwing things at us. However, their barrage does little. And like cowards, they run the moment they are spotted.

We pass under an arch, its menacing size deterring our would-be assailants. The click of massive gears, followed by a thunderous boom, tells us we have arrived. I put my helmet on, shoulder my shield, and tie my sword to my belt. "Let's go," I reach for the door.

She stops me.
"Iona, I want you to reconsider-"
 
"No."
 
She shakes her head in frustration, tightening her grip on my arm. "See, reason, we both know I can give them a better life." She tries to pull at my heartstrings. But it falls on deaf ears. "And I have to do what is best for our people."
 
"So do I." I echo the last words she said to my brother. That day hits us both, and we slide back into our seats. I cross my arms, my mind racing but not going anywhere. You're doing this for the money, Iona, don't get bogged down by the politics. It's not your concern.
 
Hunching forward, Giselle looks at her feet. "I didn't know what they were going do." She starts her half-hearted apology. "I thought they would exile your people to the frontier, giving you a chance." She looks at me. "I swear I never intended for."
 
"Just stop." I don't care what she intended, and I won't allow her to divide my family again. The Empire butchered us like cattle, and her soldiers tried to claim me as a prize. I still taste that soldier's blood and hear his gurgling cries from ripping his throat out. Then, because I was so feisty, they turned me into an act for their amusement. I would have ended it if Luna hadn't been there.             

Helping her out of the carpentum, I'm taken aback at what lies before me. Compared to the rest of the city, we might as well be in another world. Lush trees dance to the melody of twin streams hugging a granite road. All being tended to by slaves draped in silk. Soldiers glint in their polished armor in perfect lines, unmoving and expressionless, watchful of threats. However, all this pales in comparison to our destination. At the end of the road, stairs lead to an imposing sight. Crimson banners hang from marble walls, while great pillars hold a mosaic telling the Empire's origins, the Imperial Palace.

Hahaku dismounts with a thump, handing the reins to one of the guards. Like me, he is dumbfounded. I doubt many of our people would ever get to marvel at this sight. He signals everyone to get into formation. We create a diamond around Giselle, shielding her from threats. As we march to the Palace, our steps echo like tower bells. It's an eerie feeling.

Two heavy doors are pushed open, moaning their deep wails. Once inside, we are led through a hall, and everywhere we look, something is happening. Slaves, soldiers, and lords congregate, barely noticing us as we pass them. In hushed tones, worry pales their features. "It's this way." Our guide says, his steps long and frantic.

Standing before us is yet another door, a cross beam barring entry to all but the desired. The sentries bang on the door in unison, and the rattling of chains sends the beam skyward. "Remember where you are." One of them warns under his helm. We enter, and it's nothing like I expected.

The room is lit by the sun shining through an open roof held aloft by several pillars. At the room's center, a round table is divided into four quarters, seating a dozen individuals and outlining a floor map. Five of these, I assume, are the heads of the five great families due to the lavish Imperial attire each of them is wearing. While the other four must be for ambassadors from other nations. Though, the years have grayed his edges. The Emperor is still imposing. Like a god towering over the world, he looks down upon his Empire. "The scouts have not sent word for weeks." He points to the most northern point on the map. When our presence becomes known, all eyes fall upon us. "Ambassador Giselle, good you're here, please," he gestures for her to join them. "Take a seat."

As Giselle sits, another woman stands. Gold jingling like wind chimes off her lovely frame. It's unheard of for women to be even allowed to sit here; however, her purple dress marks her royal blood. "All I'm asking for, brother, is one Legion. No more than what Lord Titus was given." That voice is strong yet alluring. I quickly throw those thoughts away, grateful my helmet hides my face.

"Surely your allies in the Divine Union can provide support, Lady Orianna." The aged Lord Titus scolds her. "We cut off the head of that snake almost twenty years ago. And they have been eating each other ever since," his cold demeanor whitening her knuckles.

Those hazel pools dart to the Emperor, who sides with Lord Titus. "These raids may be small now, but they'll see us as weak if we don't stomp them out." She leans over the table. "If they rally, we won't be able to hold them back," pointing to the southern border. "If that happens, you all know where they'll attack," her gaze burning into each of them. She has a strong spirit; I'll give her that.

The Emperor locks eyes with her and then gestures for her to sit. "Please, sister." She returns to her seat. Rubbing his temples, he joins her, a heavy sigh escaping his lips. Duty weighing him down, he looks to those gathered. "My sister does bring up a valid point. We cannot look weak to the Steppes." A smile creeps across Lady Orianna's face. "However," he looks to Giselle. "I won't commit troops without cause. Giselle, what news do the Jarls send."

She stands, hiding something under her cloak. "I am afraid I am as much in the dark as you, Emperor Octavian." She holds a parchment, "There are rumors of Berserkers raiding on the frontier." Hushed words start echoing across the room. "But I can assure you it's being taken care of as we speak."

While her words reassure those gathered, hooves thunder behind me, and my heart is ready to leap from my throat. "Let me in," a panicked voice roars, banging on the door with heavy hands. The rattling chains rise, and a madman rushes in. Caked in blood and dirt, he collapses on the floor. Through panicked breath. "I bring news from the north!"




Character List:
Iona: POV character
Giselle: Northern Queen
Lord Titus: Head of one of the Five great families (Northern Province)
Emperor Octavian: Current Emperor
Lady Orianna: Octavian's sister
Hahaku: Friends of Iona and Mercenary captain

This is a rewrite of chapter twelve, divided into two parts. I ask reviewers to provide a minimum of one thing they liked and disliked. If you see errors or something that should be fixed, please don't hesitate to point it out. I can't improve otherwise.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Rinshikai All rights reserved.
Rinshikai has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.