Biographical Non-Fiction posted February 19, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Day I'll Never Forget

My Driver's Licence

by Cass Carlton


My friend Betty had an Avon round. But no car.
I had a car, but no licence.
So we helped each other out by me driving her around to her customers and thus gaining valuable experience behind the wheel.
One day I came into (almost) contact with a large truck. He pulled up quite scared, but I leaned out of my window and called cheekily "Nearly got ya".
He waved at me with evident relief, but Betty said "You're ready."
So I booked my third driving test and in due course presented myself at the local Police station.

Betty sat with my two sons while I went out with the policeman in my beautiful blue and white FB Holden sedan.
We went down the main street just as school came out, so I was very aware of the speed limits during that time of day.
There was a three point turn out of someone's narrow gate. Nailed it.

Then, I had to stop on a hill and using the handbrake, start off again. The young policeman said I'd get more than one try if I needed it. The car stalled and I quite forgot my audience as I growled "Oh come on Esmerelda" which evinced an amused chuckle from the policeman.
"Is that her name?" he asked a grin all over his face. "Yes," I confessed, blushing furiously.
The manouvre went faultlessly and we drove back to the station.
I parked exactly as I had learned to do and sat looking at him hopefully. "Well, how was that?" He smiled at me and said "You've done pretty well, so I'll pass you."

My face lit up like a tree with lights as I said to him,
"This is the closest you've ever come to being hugged. Thank you so much" He smiled again as I leapt out of the car and raced in to where Betty sat with my two little boys.
I stood in the doorway of the Police station with all sorts of people looking on, threw my arms wide open and yelled TA DA!!
Betty's face immediately broke into a huge smile, while the lady behind the counter and the man she was serving gave a little patter of applause.

My sons were rapt. Mum had her licence at last.
I lost no time at all in getting the piece of paper that said I was no longer a "learner driver,"but a fully fledged "denizen of the roads".

Betty's Avon round was lucrative and she soon bought herself a nifty little Mazda.
Esmerelda became a school taxi and my bolt for freedom any time I chose. Lunch at the local spots became a regular thing, plus sewing classes on Wednesdays and later my avenue to higher learning with Monday nights at night school doing Matriculation English.
But that's another story.


















Best Day Ever contest entry


This a true story from 1974. Getting my driver's licence was one of the most joyous occasions in my life. It was truly a Red Letter Day.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Cass Carlton All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Cass Carlton has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.