Spiritual Non-Fiction posted February 18, 2022 Chapters:  ...21 22 -23- 24... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Amarna Letters From Jerusalem

A chapter in the book Sea Of Galilee

Sea Of Galilee #23

by Brett Matthew West


Measuring approximately 8 inches tall and 3.5 inches wide, Amarna Letter EA286 is titled "A Throne Granted, Not Inherited." This correspondence was written by Abdi-Heba, the ruler of Jerusalem of the mid-1330sBC. At the time of his rule, Jerusalem was thought to have had a population of about 1,500 citizens, and been a small highlands stronghold that lacked large buildings as well as fortifications.

Multiple bands of Habirus attacked Jerusalem forcing Abdi-Heba to plead with the Pharoah for an army from Egypt to defend the city. As a result of this letter, Abdi-Heba was charged with conspiracy. Later, Abdi-Heba reconciled with the Habirus and became a loyal supporter of them.

Other Amarna Letters Abdi-Heba wrote to Egypt were titled "EA285 The Soldier-Ruler of Jerusalem," "EA287 A Very Serious Crime," "EA288 Benign Neglect," "EA289 A Reckoning Demanded," and "EA290 Three Against One."

Because of their dialect, the Amarna Letters from Jerusalem (written Urusalim) have attracted substantial attention. Their scribal culture is of a vastly high quality compared to the other Amarna Letters from Canaanite cities. So are their syntax, cuneiform signs, and orthography.

The Amarna Letters from Jerusalem hold unique interest because:

-they come from Jerusalem before King David banished the Canaanites (Jebusites) and made the city his capital (2 Samuel 5)

-they provide evidence Jerusalem was occupied in the Late Bronze Age era for which there is very little archaeological evidence otherwise because most of Ancient Jerusalem is under the Temple Mount and can not be excavated

-they demonstrate a sophisticated scribal system existed in Jerusalem during the Late Bronze Age

The Amarna Letters provide a detailed view of Canaan prior to the Hebrews move into the area. The Israelites were helped in their endeavors by the stalemate between the Egyptian and Hittite Empires, and the intrusion of the Sea Peoples. This led to a weakening in the Eastern Mediterranean. The Sea Peoples are believed to have come from Asia Minor, the Aegean region, islands of the Mediterranean, and Southern Europe at the end of the Late Bronze Age.

Abdi-Heba's Amarna Letters were written after the Habirus took control of Shechem before the city became a principle center of Hebrew worship and the first capital of Israel. The Habirus' presence in Canaan may have been significant and long term.

The Habirus were known as SA, GAZ, Habirus, Hapiri, Apiru, and Apiri. The biggest, still unanswered question remains were they the Ancient Hebrews? The Habirus were viewed in the Amarna Letters with violence, law breaking, upheaval, destruction, and sedition. To be Habiru in an Egyptian court placed them as a traitor and subjected them to death.

Sources:

Bible
bibleodyssey.org
israel-a-history-of.com
cojs.org (Center for Judicial Studies)

Next Time: Sea Of Galilee #24: Was Yahweh Nothing More Than A Canaanite City




quack!quack!quack!, by supergold, selected to complement my posting.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by supergold at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.