Supernatural Science Fiction posted February 14, 2022 Chapters:  ...101 102 -103- 104... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

His Burden to Carry

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. If you catch typos or mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & happy Valentine's Day! Hope you enjoy.
Previously. . .
The minute Stewart got into his car and drove off, Frank turned toward Manuel with a grim expression marring his face.

“I know what you’re thinking, partner,” said Manuel. “I’m sure it’s not your niece.” He placed a hand over his shoulder. “I mean, there’s no telling how many other Carries are in the city.”

Frank sighed. “God, I hope you’re right. And right about now, I could kick my own ass for not asking Carrie more about this new boyfriend of hers. For crying-out-loud, what was I thinking? I should’ve at least got the guy’s name.”

“Don’t beat yourself up, partner. We’ll meet this guy soon enough. Then, we’re definitely going to do a thorough background check on him.” He gestured toward Drakon’s Hummer. “Come on. Let’s go fill in the others.”

Two hours later, they ordered Chinese takeout. When their food was delivered, the two detectives remained in their vehicle, keeping a lookout for Joseph, and ate as if it were their last meal.

As Frank finished the last of his Kung Pao Chicken, he turned to Manuel. “I’m not waiting till noon for Carrie’s party. I have a gut feeling something’s not right, and before you ask, it doesn’t have anything to do with the takeout.”

Manuel checked his watch, then looked to the passenger side at his partner. “It’s four in the morning. You think it’s a good idea to wake her at this hour?”

“We’ll head over to her apartment close to nine,” said Frank. “She should be up by then.”

“Sure thing, buddy.” Manuel reached over and patted Frank’s shoulder. “If it gives you peace of mind, then that’s what we’ll do.”   
 
Continued. . .
The next morning, as Joseph came awake, he suddenly felt uneasy. Remembering what had transpired with Carrie, he quickly pushed himself upright and nervously searched her side of the bed. A sense of relief settled over him the moment he saw her lying beside him, eyes closed, sleeping peacefully. He took a deep breath and continued to watch her. Although he was lying next to Carrie, he felt an emptiness in him. No voice inside his head, demanding him to kill. It was… just himself. Finally, there was silence. He reveled in the heavenly peace and quiet. Now, for the first time in so long, he was in control of his own body. The Shadow was gone.

But of course, he stressed, now Carrie is cursed. He thought about what she had undergone, taking on the evil entity that had possessed him for so many years. He’d always wanted his freedom, but not at the risk of losing Carrie. She didn’t deserve this. The Shadow was his burden. His burden to carry, and his alone.

Then, another panic set in. Shit! What time was it? As he went to grab his phone off the nightstand, realization hit him. He’d taken a few days off work, so it didn’t matter how late it was. Still, he unlocked his phone and saw he had six missed calls, two text messages, and three voice messages. They were all from his coworker, Stewart. And two of the voice messages was sent at one o’clock this morning. 

Carrie woke up with a moan. “Joseph?”

At the sound of Carrie’s voice, he averted his eyes from his phone and looked to her in concern. “I’m right here, sweetheart.” He placed a hand over hers. “How do you feel?”

“Okay, I guess.” She flashed him a weary smile. “And if you’re wondering if I’m hearing voices,” she bluntly stated, “I’m not.”

“We’re going to get through this, Carrie.” He squeezed her hand. “I promise.”

She silently nodded. “How long have you been awake?”

“Not long.” He focused back on his phone.

“How about some coffee?”

When there was no reply, she scooted higher on her pillow and said, “Is something wrong?”

“It’s nothing, really. Well, I don’t think anyway.” As he looked at her, his blue eyes expressed a hint of worry. “Just some missed calls.”

“From whom?”

“Apparently, one of my coworkers has been trying to get ahold of me. And he seems pretty persistent.”

“Did he leave a message?”

“Yah.” He nodded. “Quite a few. The last two were at one o’clock this morning.”

“Sounds urgent. Maybe you should see what’s so important.”

“I agree,” said Joseph, opening his voicemail to the first message. He put it on speaker and hit play. 

“Hey Joseph. Thought I’d give you a heads up. Some guy came by the Chronicle looking for you this morning. He said he had some information on a story you’ve been working on. He left his name and number. I sent a screenshot of it to you. But…” There was a pause, followed by a sigh. “This guy, well… not sure if he’s legit. His name is Drakon Hexus. He looks like a freakin’ hitman. If I had to take a guess, the guy stood at least six-seven or more. He has a short-trimmed Mohawk and a tattoo on his neck. Anyway, call me when you get a chance.”

Joseph turned toward Carrie and shrugged. “Wonder what that’s all about. I have no idea who this Drakon guy is.”

“By your coworkers’ description,” said Carrie, “the guy sounds scary.”

“Yah.” His brows drew together. “I guess I should listen to the rest of Stewart’s messages.”

As soon as Joseph opened the next message, he raised the volume.
“Hey, it’s Stewart again. I’ve been trying to reach you all day. It’s nearly one in the morning and I’m at your apartment, but I guess you’re not at home. I’m starting to worry about you, buddy. Call or text me. Just let me know you’re all right.”  

Then, Joseph played the last message. “Listen, man.” Stewart’s voice sounded nervous. “I don’t know what’s going on, but as I was leaving your apartment, two homicide detectives from the San Francisco PD stopped me. They were asking if I knew where you were. Apparently, they want to ask you some questions. They wouldn’t tell me what it’s about, but they sounded serious. Said something about it being classified. When they questioned why I was here, I told them I was concerned since I hadn’t heard from you all day and you hadn’t returned my calls. I also mentioned that Drakon guy who stopped by the Chronicle looking for you this morning. Come to find out, that guy is an investigator, working with those two detectives. One of them left me his card. Anyway, I’ll send you a screenshot of it. Maybe you should give ‘em a call. And hey…” There was a brief pause. “If you’re in some kind of trouble, you can trust me. I mean, if you’re in a jam, maybe I can help. Later, buddy.”

As soon as the message ended, Carrie said, “Joseph…” She nervously swallowed. “Can I see that screenshot Stewart sent you?”

“Sure.” He nodded and proceeded to check his text messages. When he found the two Stewart had sent, he handed his phone to Carrie. “Maybe you’ll recognize the name of that detective since your uncle works for the San Francisco PD.”

The second Carrie saw the name written on the business card, her eyes rounded. “I don’t believe it.”

“What is it?”

“That detective is my uncle’s partner.” She tore her eyes away from the phone and focused them on Joseph, looking completely stunned. “That means they’re searching for you.”

Joseph shook his head. “But I don’t understand. What do they want with me?”

“Maybe they found something,” she said, sitting the phone next to Joseph. “Like fingerprints. Maybe camera footage, or something that leads you to the crime scene.”

“You mean, Veronica’s murder?”

Shivers crept up the back of her neck. “Yes.”

He reached out, trying to soothe her. “It’s okay, Carrie. Everything is going to be okay.”

“But…” Her eyes were desperate as she searched over his face. “How can you be so sure? And my uncle and his partner are both coming to my birthday party this afternoon. What are we going to do?”

“Maybe we should go to them for help. Since he’s your uncle, and he and your aunt practically raised you, I’m sure he’ll want to help.”

“How are we supposed to explain all this?” She let out a deep breath. “I can’t expect my Uncle Frank to believe we’re dealing with a demon. He’ll think we’ve both gone mad.”

“What other choice do we have?”

Before she could say anything, he held up his hand. “Give it a chance, Carrie. Besides, your uncle knows you. It’s not like you’ve said or done anything out of the ordinary before. He’ll listen to what you have to say. You’re his family.”

Carrie put her head down and murmured, “Something out of the ordinary did happen to me.”

Joseph cocked an eyebrow at her. “What do you mean?”

She lifted her chin and blinked tears. “It was a long time ago. When my parents died, something strange happened. It sounds crazy. Maybe I am crazy. When I told my aunt and uncle, they took me to a child psychologist. I was just five at the time, so they thought it was just my imagination. The psychologist chalked it up as a way of dealing with the death of my parents. But now, I’m not so sure.”

He reached out and wiped at her tears. “Whatever it is, you know you can tell me. And I won’t think you’re crazy.”

“Joseph…” She exhaled a deep breath. “I saw an angel. Her name was Lailah and she saved me. If it wasn’t for her, I would have died in that car accident along with my parents.”

Joseph blinked as if her words had surprised him. “I believe you, Carrie.”

“Y-You do?”

He smiled. “Of course, I do.”

More tears clouded her eyes, but she wouldn’t allow them to fall. “Thank you, Joseph.”

“Did she speak to you?” asked Joseph. “The angel, that is.”

Carrie nodded. “I remember asking her if I could go to heaven to be with my parents, but Lailah said God needed me here for an important task.”

“And she didn’t say what it was?”

“I asked, of course,” said Carrie, her lips curving into a half-smile. “At age five, I was full of questions. But she didn’t know.”

“Maybe this has something to do with the Shadow.”

Carrie shrugged. “What do you mean?”

“Somehow the demon chose to leave my body and enter yours for a reason.”

“But why?”     
                           
“I don’t know, Carrie. But I do know we cannot do this alone. We’re going to need help.”

“You really think my Uncle Frank and his partner will believe us?”

“Yes,” he said softly, then glanced down at his phone, realizing time was starting to get away from them. “Now go ahead and get dressed while I start a pot of coffee. I have a feeling we’re going to need it. And stop worrying.” He leaned in and kissed her forehead. “We’ll figure this out.”

“It won’t take me long to get ready,” said Carrie. “Then I’ll drive you to your apartment so you can pick up a few things, like something other than what you had on yesterday.”

He glanced down at his boxers, recalling the clothes he’d been wearing. Then, he chuckled. “Yeah, a pair of jogging shorts and an old t-shirt isn’t exactly proper party attire. Plus, I don’t want to make a bad impression when I meet your uncle.”

“I think that ship has already sailed, buster,” said Carrie, arching a brow. “I don’t think he’s going to be too focused on your fashion.”

“Let’s just pray he leaves his handcuffs behind, and instead, brings an open mind.”

She sighed. “Me too.”    
     
Without another word, Carrie went into the bathroom. As soon as she shut the door behind her, Joseph slipped on the only clothes he had, and headed for the kitchen. As he was about to reach into the cabinet where Carrie stored the coffee, there was a knock at the door. He stood there for a moment, wondering if he should answer it. He waited, hoping Carrie’s roommate had returned from Ryan’s while they were sleeping and would take care of it. But when the knock persisted, his wishful thinking took a nosedive.

I guess it’s up to me, he thought, staring at the coffeepot in desperation. Before he went for the door, he pointed at the coffee maker and muttered, “I’ll be back for you later.” 
 
To be continued. . .    
 
 

 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference to the book description and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers.

In an exclusive Novella set in the world of the Breedline-a secret species of humans who are born with the power to shift into wolves-Shana Congrove tells the story of a young boy, Joseph who-grieving over his mother's death at the hands of his abusive father-finds his world turned upside down. While his father awaits sentencing, Joseph is placed into the system, going from one foster family to another. And just when things couldn't get any worse, an evil entity invades his body, introducing itself as the Shadow.
Twenty-one years later, as this mysterious demonic spirit continues to inhabit Joseph's body, it manipulates his mind, luring him toward something dark and sinister... something that is beyond his control.
Carrie Randall-a substance abuse counselor who is cursed with a boss from hell and unsuccessful at dating-comes face-to-face with death when two men approach her in a dark alley. In the midst of her assault, something resembling a werewolf, comes to her rescue in the nick of time. As she tries to process everything-unsure if what she witnessed was real or fantasy-her world suddenly collides with a handsome stranger as though they were somehow brought together by fate.
Despite her past relationships, Carrie finds herself spellbound, falling for Joseph Parker-a handsome, yet mysterious journalist who works for an esteemed newspaper in Berkeley, California. But when Carrie discovers the terrifying secrets he's been keeping, she begins to fear for her life.
Now, Carrie is forced to make the hardest decision of her life. Will she turn her back on Joseph or stay and help him fight the demon, who desires her soul?

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

Carrie Randall - She is Detective Frank Perkin's niece. She works as a substance abuse counselor in Berkeley, California. She has a love interest in Joseph Parker.

Joseph Parker (a.k.a. Joseph Harris) - He works at the San Francisco Chronicle as a freelance journalist. At age five, an evil entity invaded his body after his father murdered his mother. While his father was sent to prison for his crime, Joseph was placed into several foster families until finally forced into a mental institute after diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychopathic behavior. As time passed and with the evil entity's guidance, Joseph was later released into society.

The Shadow - An evil entity who has possessed Joseph Parker. Its main purpose is to gain access to souls by using its host to kill, consuming human flesh.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.