Mystery and Crime Fiction posted February 4, 2022 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The noose begins to tighten

A chapter in the book Vanished

Vanished - Chap 14

by Begin Again


Tango raised the styrofoam cup to his mouth and took a long swallow of the steamy brew. It was instant, but it was all he could grab on the fly at 4 a.m. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes and spoke to his boss through the Bluetooth device in his ear.
 
"Whose piece of junk am I driving?" After Garth slipped from the bedroom, he'd alerted the entire team. Tango's orders were to surround the old train depot by using vehicles other than their own. "You could have at least given me Hank's Mercedes."
 
Garth's vehicle hit a rut, and he was rocked back and forth. "Quit your complaining, Tango. Poppa's riding on the side of a neighbor's tractor. And did I mention the neighbor didn't exactly appreciate us pounding on his door?" Garth pulled over to the side of the road. He could see the dark outline of the depot ahead. "I'm almost there. Are we set to go?"
 
"Yes, everyone's in position. Just give the word."
 
"Let me get inside. I'm not sure what's happening to Diego or who might be waiting for me. If they know me at all, they know I didn't come alone."
 
"Right, boss. I am with you every step."
 
 
Garth had driven past the depot, checking out the back before making a return trip and pulling into the deserted parking lot. He didn't see any vehicles or signs of life hidden, but the property was a perfect haven for not being seen.
 
"Tango, I don't see anyone. How about you or the team?"
 
"Nothing from anyone. It's some kind of trap, but what?"
 
"I'm going to circle the building. See what I can see through the windows. Who's close to the other side?"
 
"That would be Poppa. Do you want him to cover the other side?"
 
"Yeah. We do not know what to expect, so take it slow and easy. If anyone is here, they know I'm on the ground."
 
"Got you covered, boss. Poppa's moving in."
 
Garth could see loose floorboards on the porch in the dim moonlight and discarded beer and pop cans scattered across the flooring, perfect signals to alert anyone of his approach. It seemed staged, so he ignored the first window and moved further along the side of the building. A torn, soiled curtain hung across the next window, but he could see through a narrow slot at the bottom if he stooped.

From this advantage point, he could not see any signs of Diego or anyone else. But what he saw caught his full attention.
 
"Tango, there's a spring-gun on a tripod aimed at the front door. There must be a trigger wire somewhere."
 
"Any signs of Diego or anyone else?"
 
Poppa cut in. "Diego is tied and bound in a chair near the back wall. It looks like he took a terrible beating. I can't tell if he's still breathing or not. It looks as if he is in pretty bad shape."
 
"We use the windows, not the doors. The back one's probably rigged somewhere too. Poppa, get one of the smaller guys to get inside. Tango, find the front door wire and trip it if you can, but make sure everyone is clear."
 
"I can see across the room, Garth. You're clear to smash and crash." Poppa chuckled. "Don't break anything or Allie will have our necks."
 
"Okay, let's get this done. On the count of three. One. Two. Three." The first sound was the shotgun blast, followed by glass breaking, wood splintering, and two men crashing to the floor. Garth tumbled and rolled before grabbing an office chair for cover. Armed with his Glock, he checked his teammate across the room and then raced to Diego.
 
"Diego, it's Garth. Can you hear me?" He felt for a pulse and listened to see if he was breathing.
 
The sheriff's eyes fluttered open and then closed. He'd suffered a vicious beating and needed serious medical attention. Garth snapped into his radio, "We need an ambulance, stat."
 
"It was already on standby, boss. Should pull in any second." Sirens wailed in the distance as they approached the depot.
 
  **************

A hint of daylight brushed with a rosy glow, peeked over the hilltops in the distance. An anxious Garth followed the ambulance down the twisted back roads as it raced toward Hayden's hospital. He pounded his fist against the steering wheel, angry because his friend had suffered violently because of someone's vengeance for him.
 
"Why?" Garth screamed, "Bastards! I'll find you whoever you are, and when I do, you're going to pay."
 
In his anger and traveling an unfamiliar road, Garth realized he'd lost sight of the ambulance. Racing to catch up, he maneuvered through several snaked curves. As he rounded another one, his vehicle swerved and slammed into the side of a cargo truck blocking the road. The front of the car crumbled, the airbags exploded, and Garth's head slammed against the door as a tree branch shot through his side window, pinning him between the seat and the limb.
 
Within seconds, the rear door opened, and the butt end of a gun introduced itself to the side of Garth's head. He succumbed to the darkness.
 
  ***************

Liz tapped lightly on the door to Allie's bedroom. She'd heard Garth leave very early in the morning, so she wasn't sure Allie was still here or if she'd gone with him.
 
"Allie." She opened the door and stuck her head inside. "Allie."
 
"Be right out. I'm throwing some water on my face. I look a fright." Allie shuffled from the bathroom, rubbing her hands together. "Have you seen Garth?"
 
"Not really, but I did hear him leave quite early this morning. It was still dark outside, and he seemed in a hurry. I figured you'd be the one to know what was happen—" Liz paused and stared at her friend. "Oh, Allie, you didn't do anything foolish last night, did you?" She grabbed Allie's hand. "Where's your ring? Please tell me you didn't give it back."
 
"I know I was being stupid last night. Of course, I never intended to give him the ring back."
 
"Okay, then where is it, Allie? Why isn't it on your hand?" Liz headed toward the bathroom. "If you left it on the sink, let me tell you that's a quick way to have it go down the drain." Liz returned from the bathroom and stood in the doorway. "It's not in there."
 
"Okay, I was stupid, and I took it off." Allie walked toward the nightstand. "He was sleeping, and I thought we would talk in the morning. I left it right here." Allie looked on the nightstand and then got on her knees, running her hand under the table and around it. "Oh, my God, it's not here." 
 
Liz rounded the bed and lifted the nightstand from its place. "It's got to be there, Allie. Pick up that book and the lamp. Maybe he knocked it off when he got out of bed."
 
The two women searched the area, not realizing the ring had rolled across the floor and nestled against the furthest bedpost. Allie burst into tears and rushed out of the room, through the kitchen and outside, barrelling full speed into Tango.
 
"Whoa, girl. The speed limits are not that fast around these places."
 
"Tango, where's Garth? I need to talk to him."
 
"I'd sure like to help, but that's why I was coming down here. We finished with the crime scene—"
 
"Crime scene! What crime scene?" Allie grabbed Tango's shirt. "Why didn't he come back with you? Is he hurt?"
 
"No, he's fine, or at least he was the last time I saw him. Diego was in critical condition, and Garth followed the ambulance to the hospital. I thought he'd be back here by now."
 
Allie jammed her hand into Tango's chest. "Give me your phone. I'll call him."
 
"Don't bother. I've been calling him for the last thirty minutes. It goes straight to voice mail. I even called the hospital to ask about Diego and asked to speak with Garth. They said they hadn't seen him."
 
Poppa raced through the garden entrance. The look on his face spoke volumes. "My friend Joe was driving the ambulance. He got worried when they arrived at the hospital without Garth. He gave me a call to make sure he was okay."
 
"It's all my fault. He's probably sitting on the side of the road angry and confused." Allie handed Tango his phone. "I've got to go find him. Tell me where you last saw him."
 
"Chasing an ambulance down a back road." Tango shook his head. "I'm confused. Why would any of this be your fault?"
 
"I hate to be the burden of more bad news, but I got a call from the safe house." Poppa took a deep breath and blew it out before he continued, "Our Lady in White is Isabel Sanchez, Miquel's sister."
 
Faith and Annie had joined the group, and she gasped at Poppa's remark. "Miguel? The man responsible for endangering my little girl's life."
 
Annie challenged her mother. "He did not, Mommy. He saved me. He kept that big guy from hurting me."
 
"Well, wherever that woman is, she had better stay away from Annie. She's not welcomed here."
 
"But she's the one who warned Sebastian and me about someone wanting to hurt Garth. She was trying to help and ended up getting herself hurt."
 
Tango shrugged. "Annie's right. She's fighting for her life because she was trying to expose their plan. And now Garth is missing."
 
Poppa cleared his throat. "It might not be my place to speak, Tango, but I think we better pull the team into action. We need to talk to Angel, Isabela, or whoever she is. Maybe send someone to talk to Miguel and see how he works into this story." Poppa turned to Liz. "And Sam, I mean Sandra Peters is living with Sofia Sanchez?"
 
Dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, Allie raced through the door, yelling, "Tango, let's go. We've got to find Garth."
 
"Allie, I think you better stop and listen to what happened tonight. Someone set a trap for Garth and meant to kill him."
 
Tango's phone rang as he was about to tell Allie what had happened. "Hello"
 
"Tango, it's Sam. We've got trouble. My informant just told me that Garth has been abducted. Are you at the ranch?"
 
"What? When?" Tango yelled, "We're at Sweet Haven."
 
"I'm on my way. You need to circle the wagons on this one, my friend. It's bad!"

 



Recognized


Garth Woodman, FBI Agent, and Allie's love interest
Alyssa Shelton, Investigative Journalist, and Liz's best friend
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley, widow, owner of Sweet Haven, and twin sister to Faith
Faith Cranston-Newton, recovering cancer patient and mother to Annie
Annie Cranston-Newton, Faith's precocious young daughter
Sebastian, a St. Bernard and Annie's sidekick
Mary Hunter, Liz and Faith's deceased mother, and Annie's grandmother
Hank and Emmy Armato, retired detectives and current Private Investigators
Tango and Poppa, Garth's top FBI Agents
Sheriff Diego Ortiz, Napa Valley's law enforcement
Cassidy Rotello, a rescued victim of a solved drug crime and friend
Michael Lansing, neighbor to Sweet Haven Winery (Liz's home)
Darryl Pennington, Long time Estate Forman at Sweet Haven Estates
Miguel Sanchez, the former vineyard supervisor, currently residing in jail
Mason Caldwell, recently deceased drug and crime boss in Napa Valley
Father Tobias, a priest, recently assigned to Hayden's notorious church
Barrett O'Brien, an eager newly hired employee at Sweet Haven Estates
MJ Cichella, Writer and Director, and honored guest for Napa Valley's first film festival
Sandra Pepper, a well-to-do woman new in town, aka Samantha FBI
Angel - a ghost, a mysterious woman, or the Legend?
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.