Mystery and Crime Fiction posted February 1, 2022 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Allie is Uncertain...

A chapter in the book Vanished

Vanished - Chap 13

by Begin Again


Snuggled inside a cozy blanket, Allie tucked her legs to her chest and leaned against the oversized pillows on the lounge. The trees surrounding the rose garden blocked most of the moon's light. Garth's proposal tonight had her weary head spinning.
 
"Kind of late to be sitting out here in the dark, isn't it?" Liz approached, carrying two cups of hot chocolate. "I thought you'd be snuggled up with your cowboy." She handed the drink to Allie. "Is something wrong?"
 
"You know me too well, Liz."
 
"Well enough to know Garth's proposal caught you off guard. Though I don't know why, because it's obvious to everyone else how much he loves you."
 
Allie's smile was tempered with uncertainty. "I know he loves me. He's the perfect man, and I adore everything he stands for." Allie closed her eyes before she continued, "Liz, I love him, but I'm afraid."
 
"Afraid? Of what? He'd do anything in the world for you, Allie, including putting his own life on the line to save you and your sister. You can't be questioning his love, can you?"
 
A tear glistened in the corner of Allie's eye. "Of course not! My fear lies within myself. I can't imagine not spending the rest of my life with Garth, but there are many unanswered questions."
 
"Allie, quit trying to overthink it. If you love him, grab the brass ring and hold on to it for dear life. Sometimes, that's the only chance you get."
 
"It's not that I doubt how much I love him. It's much more than that, and I'm not sure love will be enough to compensate for all the rest."
 
"Compensate?" Liz raised her voice as she grabbed Allie's hand. "We're not talking about some corporate merger or seizing the opportunity for a world-class story; we're talking about a man and woman who want to share the rest of their lives together."
 
"We went for a walk this afternoon. Garth couldn't stop talking about Hank and Emmy settling into their new home, starting a new chapter in their lives. That's what he wants for us, too. He even laughed and talked about our own kids running around like Annie and Sebastian."
 
"Sounds like a man looking for a strong future with the woman he loves."
 
"I know, but I'm not sure it's how I would see our future."
 
"What? Don't you want kids? So discuss it with him. I am sure Garth would listen to all your feelings."
 
"He also brought up Katherine. I could still hear all the love he felt for her. I'm not sure I can compete with a ghost. What if I can't give him what he needs?"
 
"You are being ridiculous, Allie. Look what the two of you have been through together. Neither of you even thought of leaving the other's side, now did you?"
 
"No, but Katherine was his first love."
 
"Yes, she was, but he didn't love her enough to stay. Instead, he went off to war and left her to find a life without him, which she did with Will. When Will was murdered, and Katherine developed cancer, he cared for her throughout her illness. I know she held a special place in his heart, but Allie, he didn't ask Katherine to marry him. He did what he could for her until she passed, like a friend, not a lover. Their time had passed."
 
"It's not just Katherine. This will sound horrible, but I don't believe I'm ready to be planted in Napa Valley like the grapevines, bearing fruit until I wither in the ground."

"Oh, Allie, I love you with all my heart. Marriage should bring new growth to both of you, and you should thrive off each other's love, not wither away."
 
"I'm just not sure, Liz."
 
"Think about what you are saying, Allie, because you might not get a second chance with a man like Garth." Liz leaned over and hugged her friend. "I'll leave you to your thoughts, dear. Don't break his heart unless you are positive it's what you want."
 
Tears streamed down Allie's face. "I want it all, my career, success, and Garth."
 
"If you want it in that order, your decision is already made." Liz stood and started toward the house but stopped to offer Allie one last thought. "I'd give my last breath to have Jack standing here right now. There can be nothing before the man you marry. Good night, Allie." She left, leaving Allie to search for her own decisions.
 
******************

As dawn approached, Allie tip-toed down the hallway and quietly opened the bedroom door. Buried beneath the covers, Garth's breathing was slow and even. She stepped to the side of the bed and took a long breath. She almost wished he would wake and gently pull her into his arms, reassuring her all was right in the world.
 
But, unfortunately, it was not, and until she was absolutely sure she could enter this marriage without hesitation, she couldn't say yes. Allie slipped the beautiful ring from her finger and laid it on the book he'd been reading. She'd explain in the morning and hope he'd understand.
 
For now, her eyes were heavy with sleep, so she curled up on the chaise lounge so as not to wake him. She immediately drifted into a restless sleep.
 
 
Lost in a pleasant dream, Garth struggled to open his eyes. Like so many nights in the past, his phone ring plundered his slumber, and he wrestled with waking. Fumbling in the dark for his cell phone, Garth knocked the book off the nightstand. Unaware of Allie's action, he didn't know her ring tumbled to the floor and disappeared behind the headboard.
 
He lifted himself to one elbow and answered the phone, speaking softly, not wanting to wake Allie. "Woodman speaking."
 
"Garth, I'm sorry—"
 
"Diego, what's wrong?" He shifted to a sitting position, tossing his legs off the bed and placing his feet on the floor. He could hear a muffled voice and what sounded like shuffling. "Diego."
A stranger responded to Garth's call to the sheriff. "Your friend can not speak at the moment. If you want him to live, Senor Woodman, you will meet me behind the old train depot outside of town in thirty minutes. Come alone. We have people watching the winery. A double-cross will leave both of you dead."
 
As Garth slipped on his jeans and grabbed a t-shirt from the chair, he picked up his boots, his jacket and checked for his gun. He saw Allie asleep on the chaise lounge. He wanted to kiss her, but he knew she'd demand to come with him if she woke. It was safer this way. He blew a kiss and closed the door behind him.

 



Recognized


Garth Woodman, FBI Agent, and Allie's love interest
Alyssa Shelton, Investigative Journalist, and Liz's best friend
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley, widow, owner of Sweet Haven, and twin sister to Faith
Faith Cranston-Newton, recovering cancer patient and mother to Annie
Annie Cranston-Newton, Faith's precocious young daughter
Sebastian, a St. Bernard and Annie's sidekick
Mary Hunter, Liz and Faith's deceased mother, and Annie's grandmother
Hank and Emmy Armato, retired detectives and current Private Investigators
Tango and Poppa, Garth's top FBI Agents
Sheriff Diego Ortiz, Napa Valley's law enforcement
Cassidy Rotello, a rescued victim of a solved drug crime and friend
Michael Lansing, neighbor to Sweet Haven Winery (Liz's home)
Darryl Pennington, Long time Estate Forman at Sweet Haven Estates
Miguel Sanchez, the former vineyard supervisor, currently residing in jail
Mason Caldwell, recently deceased drug and crime boss in Napa Valley
Father Tobias, a priest, recently assigned to Hayden's notorious church
Barrett O'Brien, an eager newly hired employee at Sweet Haven Estates
MJ Cichella, Writer and Director, and honored guest for Napa Valley's first film festival
Sandra Pepper, a well-to-do woman new in town, aka Samantha FBI
Angel - a ghost, a mysterious woman, or the Legend?
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.