Supernatural Science Fiction posted January 24, 2022 Chapters:  ...98 99 -100- 101... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Fearless/Part Two

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. If you catch typos or mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & I hope you enjoy!
In an exclusive Novella set in the world of the Breedline—a secret species of humans who are born with the power to shift into wolves—Shana Congrove tells the story of a young boy, Joseph who—grieving over his mother’s death at the hands of his abusive father—finds his world turned upside down. While his father awaits sentencing, Joseph is placed into the system, going from one foster family to another. And just when things couldn’t get any worse, an evil entity invades his body, introducing itself as the Shadow.

Twenty-one years later, as this mysterious demonic spirit continues to inhabit Joseph’s body, it manipulates his mind, luring him toward something dark and sinister… something that is beyond his control.   
  
Carrie Randall—a substance abuse counselor who is cursed with a boss from hell and unsuccessful at dating—comes face-to-face with death when two men approach her in a dark alley. In the midst of her assault, something resembling a werewolf, comes to her rescue in the nick of time. As she tries to process everything—unsure if what she witnessed was real or fantasy—her world suddenly collides with a handsome stranger as though they were somehow brought together by fate. 
 
Despite her past relationships, Carrie finds herself spellbound, falling for Joseph Parker—a handsome, yet mysterious journalist who works for an esteemed newspaper in Berkeley, California. But when Carrie discovers the terrifying secrets he’s been keeping, she begins to fear for her life.   

Now, Carrie is forced to make the hardest decision of her life. Will she turn her back on Joseph or stay and help him fight the demon, who desires her soul?              
 
Continued. . .
As Joseph sat there, gazing into Carrie’s eyes, taking in all of her, his first thought was to put his clothes back on and leave. It wasn’t fair to her. He was putting her in danger just by being here. But his eyes just stayed on her face. God, she was so beautiful. The expression in her mesmerizing brown eyes held a lonely yearning as he stared into them, as if she was searching for something. How could someone like her want someone like me? She deserved better. Someone normal. But he couldn’t bear the thought of living without her. It was selfish thinking on his part.

“Will you please tell me what happened?” asked Carrie, breaking the silence as she looked up at the bandage over his forehead.

He shrugged a shoulder. “It’s kind of stupid, really.”

“So, tell me, anyway.”

Okay, here goes nothing. He grimaced. “I was hit by a car.”

“What…” Shocked, she reached for his hand. “My God, Joseph. Are you okay?”

“Actually, it was a truck,” he said, correcting himself. “And don’t worry.” He faked a smile. “I’m fine.”

“You didn’t…” she paused, staring at him with a concerned look in her eyes, “…intentionally mean for that to happen, did you?”

Joseph kept his eyes on hers, feeling trapped in her gaze as though she knew the truth already. Finally, he nodded, his eyes conveying a look of regret.

“Why Joseph?” She tightened her hand over his. “What were you thinking?”

“It was the only way I could keep you safe. I thought if I died, so would the Shadow.”

“Promise me,” she said, her tone persistent, “you’ll never do something like that again.”

“I promise,” he said with sincerity. “Besides, it won’t let me harm myself.”

“What do you mean?”

“Carrie, there’s no way any normal person would have walked away from that accident, much less with just a few cuts and bruises. I should be dead.”

“Are you saying that thing inside you somehow kept you from dying?”

“I don’t know.” He shook his head. “But how else would you explain it?”   
 
There was a knock across the room. Their eyes shot toward the bedroom door.

“Yeah,” Carrie called out.

“It’s me, Jessica. Are you all right, Carrie?”

“I-I’m fine.”

“I heard about your boss,” said Jessica. “That really sucks. Veronica was a shitty person, but—”

“I’m okay, Jess,” Carrie cut in. “Really.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah, I’m sure. I just want to be alone for a bit.”

“Okay.” There was an awkward moment of silence. “Well… Let me know if you want to talk, or just need some company.”

“I will.”

“I’ll be at Ryan’s if you need anything. I’ll call later to check on you.”

“Thanks Jess.”

“No problem, girl. You want me to go ahead and cancel the party?”

“Nah,” said Carrie. “Let’s keep it as planned. Besides, having friends and family around will lift my spirits.”

“Okay, then. We’ll talk later.”

As soon as Jessica’s footsteps disappeared into the distance, Joseph said, “Maybe you should have told her about me.”

“I’ll mention it to her later,” said Carrie. “I’m sure she’ll be thrilled to know you’re here, and that you’re coming to my birthday party tomorrow.”

“Really?”

Carrie nodded. “Jessica and Ryan have been rooting for us to get back together.”

Joseph cracked a smile. “In truth, so have I.”

“You have?”

He dipped his head, keeping his eyes focused on her face. “I missed you like crazy, Carrie. When I’m away from you, I find it hard to focus. I can’t eat. I can’t sleep. Hell, I can barely breath.”

“Me too,” she said, her voice trembling.

He intertwined his fingers with hers and lightly squeezed. “Carrie, how are we going to do this? I shouldn’t be here. I mean, what if I—”

“It’s worth the risk,” she interjected. “You’re worth the risk, Joseph.”

“I couldn’t live with myself if something happened to you. I’m afraid the Shadow will hurt you, and I won’t be able to stop it.”

“Is it…” She paused, swallowing hard, “…telling you to hurt me now?”

He shook his head. “It’s strange, but I haven’t heard it speak to me since I got here.”

She looked at him surprised. “Does this thing… I mean, the Shadow, speak to you every day?”

“Yes. And he’s never been this quiet.”

“The Shadow is a… he?”  

“I guess.” He shrugged. “The voice sounds like a male.”

“Well, maybe he’s just giving us some privacy.” She laughed a little. “This may sound weird, but you do realize we’re having a casual conversation, talking about a demon, while sitting on my bed completely naked, right?”

“Yeah, I do.” His face flushed. “And I swear, I’m having the hardest time keeping my eyes from wandering.”

“I wouldn’t mind if your eyes wandered,” said Carrie.

Joseph took an unsteady breath and muttered, “Y-You wouldn’t?”

She shook her head, staring at his mouth. “Would you like to kiss me, Joseph?”

Her breath caught as he lifted his hand to her mouth and gently trailed his thumb over her bottom lip. The moment he bent low and kissed her, she felt a warm sensation bloom throughout her body. Her heart pounded, and her skin prickled with goosebumps as his fingers slowly moved down her neck and then to her collarbone. And they didn’t stop there. They kept going, softly tracing a path between her breasts.

“Is this, okay?” he asked, keeping his voice low.

“Yes,” she answered in a breathy tone.

Her body flushed as thoughts invaded her memory, thinking what it felt like to have his weight pressing down on her. Although this time, she wanted more. She wanted to feel his warm hands all over her, caressing, touching. And the heat of his bare skin, atop hers, making love to her.

As though Joseph could read her thoughts, knowing what she wanted and prepared to deliver, he said, “I want you, Carrie.” His hand went to her neck, and he slightly tilted her head back. He stared at her with such intensity, it brought tears to her eyes. “And I’m never letting you go.”

“Good, because I’m all yours,” she whispered back.

Handling her as if she were a delicate piece of glass, he carefully guided her back against the bed. As soon as she settled onto the satin sheets, he moved between her legs. On impulse, her hands went to his shoulders. When she pulled him down, his pulse raced, and his heart nearly leapt from his chest. As their bodies came together, an arc of sexual tension exploded between them. God, she felt so good. Too good. Her warm breasts pressing against his chest ignited him further. He had to close his eyes. The skin-on-skin contact was almost more than he could bear. But this time, when his lips came down on hers, a raw passion radiated between them, leaving them breathless.

As they ascended the heights of passion, holding on to each other, Joseph knew without a doubt it was fate that had brought them together. He was hers, and she was his. And that was something he’d only dreamt of having … something he’d prayed for... something he’d die for.

An hour later, after their love making and drifting into a deep slumber, Carrie suddenly came awake with her bladder screaming in protest. She sat up in bed and looked down to see Joseph soundly sleeping next to her. The moon shining through the cracked blinds cast a glow over his handsome face. She smiled, noticing how content and peaceful he looked. If she hadn’t already known, she would have never guessed this loving, yet tortured man… a man she dearly loved… a man she could spend the rest of her life with… was possessed by something so evil. 

Before she eased out of bed, she glanced back at Joseph and mentally said a silent prayer. Please God… If you can hear me, please free Joseph from this demonic entity who has plagued his body for so long. He’s a good man who doesn’t deserve this. He’s suffered so much. She released a deep breath and whispered, “Amen.”

Carrie slipped out of bed, careful not to wake Joseph, and made her way into the bathroom. Quietly, she closed the door and switched on the light. After using the restroom, she went to the sink to wash her hands. At the same time, she reached for the soap and glanced up into the mirror. What she saw made her eyes go wide and her mouth open with a gasp. She tried to look away, tried to pull herself from the unholy image staring back at her. It was… She was… hideous… demonic.

“Oh, God.” She instantly clamped her hand over her mouth to stifle her scream.

“Hello, Carrie,” a sinister voice whispered inside her head.      
 
To be continued. . .            
       

 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

Carrie Randall - She is Detective Frank Perkin's niece. She works as a substance abuse counselor in Berkeley, California. She has a love interest in Joseph Parker.

Joseph Parker (a.k.a. Joseph Harris) - He works at the San Francisco Chronicle as a freelance journalist. At age five, an evil entity invaded his body after his father murdered his mother. While his father was sent to prison for his crime, Joseph was placed into several foster families until finally forced into a mental institute after diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychopathic behavior. As time passed and with the evil entity's guidance, Joseph was later released into society.

The Shadow - An evil entity who has possessed Joseph Parker. Its main purpose is to gain access to souls by using its host to kill, consuming human flesh.

Jessica - Carrie's roommate and best friend.

Ryan - Jessica's boyfriend.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.