War and History Fiction posted January 23, 2022 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Iona helps Colton in her own way.

A chapter in the book Rise from the Fall

Duels and Families

by Rinshikai


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Colton Arverni is an auxiliary soldier in service to the Empire. When an aspiring new commander jeopardizes the northern frontier, Colton's life is changed forever.

Colton

She walks away, throwing her coat off. Stretching those toned arms, she turns to me, assuming the position. Without warning, she strikes, my panicked step saving me from a blow to the face. As if she was dancing, she grabs my collar, and her elbow robs the air from my lungs. I find myself winded on my back. She looks at me with a smile, gesturing to get up.

I stand, readying my defenses, blocking the blows she throws at me. Giselle's words still claw at the back of my mind, and I can't focus. My Aunts fist lands square in my jaw, the taste of iron filling my mouth. Managing not to fall, I try to counter her. Each time I strike, she evades it, landing a blow of her own, sending wave after wave of pain across my body. My knee hits the ground, and I'm fighting to catch my breath.

Get up; a voice echoes in my mind. Anger numbing my pain, I stand. Raising my arms, we start trading blows. Now that I'm focused, the openings begin to reveal themselves. For a brief moment, I see it, she goes for my ribs, but I counter. Hitting her instead. She stumbles back, wiping her nose. She looks at me, nodding in approval.

We continue, matching blow for blow. Crimson spatters dye the sand, while sweat coats us like the second skin. I needed this, I don't know how, but Iona always finds a way to help me deal with things. I see another opening, and I go for it. However, in the blink of an eye, she knocks me flat.

Lying there, my moment of pride turns to humility. I was so sure I had her. Surprisingly I hadn't seen the audience we had drawn. Several of the estate's workers had stopped and were watching us, whispers and coins passing between them. Sitting up, I look around, seeing a familiar redhead watching from a window. When those beautiful emeralds meet mine, she turns away, climbing back inside.

A fist hits my shoulder, and Iona offers to help me up. Accepting her hand, she leads me away from prying eyes. We enter a tarped-off area with a well. As usual, she pours a full bucket over her head, throwing her hair out of her eyes. Relishing in the embrace, she fills cups, offering me one.

Without hesitation, I chug it down, only to choke. A few taps to the chest, and I can breathe again. I sit down, joined by Iona, who rests her head on my shoulder. She tenderly wraps her arm around mine, and our fingers intertwine. Not a word passes between us. My anger has stopped, and the pain is now a gentle numbness. I'm at peace. Safety, compassion, no matter how bad things have gotten, she's always been there for me.

"Luna told me what happened." She caresses my wounded hand. "I am proud of you." Giving me a genuine smile. She stands up, fetching water. Through her soaking wet shirt, I see the scars decorating her back. Floggings, fights, they're all a reminder of what she endured. It's both inspirational and terrifying. She kept going no matter what was thrown at her.

I'm drenched with water. "What was that for?" I stand, taking my shirt off, darkening the sand at my feet. I try to be mad, but I feel refreshed by the cool waters.

"Better?"

"Yeah." I sit back down, embracing the warmth of the morning. I look at the sun and quickly shield my eyes. Remembering one of the many times Enid and I had run away. My guts twist, and I'm being pulled back to those days. However, Iona's words do help me cope with it.

"You're worried about Enid's sight, aren't you?" I nod," "We can't change the past, Colton." Resting her head on my shoulder, "When I thought I'd lost the two of you in the purge, I was ready to die." Her words are filled with sorrow. "But I had a reason to keep going when I learned you were alive." Hope starts to resonate in her voice. "I'm here now, and I will never abandon either of you."

"I wish I had your strength."

She laughs, "Colton, you endured so much to keep Enid safe." Our eyes lock, and the warrior becomes the parent. "You are strong." Her words give me strength. "It's something you and your father have in common."

I can't remember either of them. Every time I try, the purge is all I can see. I can remember a man's voice, "'Protect your sister; she needs you.'" And a woman with bright hair. When I learned Hahaku was looking for us. We ran to him for safety. But Giselle's armed guards would always bring us back. I know now they couldn't provide for us. However, we were always welcome in their home. If Servious wasn't there for us, I don't think we would have survived.

"Come on," she gestures to me to follow. We return to the yard, preventing one of the slaves from stealing her coat. Draping it over her shoulders, we head out. This early in the morning, the streets lack their usual clutter. Sentry's steps echo on the paved ground while carts destined for the market heave and creek under the weight of their goods.

We follow the caravan into the next district, helping one of the carts down the uneven streets. The stench of rot floods my nose, and the citrus water threatens to come back up. I see a forgotten soul in an alley. Their memories feeding the rats. In the shadows, a figure emerges, a black clock hiding his features. He crouches next to the dead child, gently picking him up. As he walks away, he glances back at me, a wooden mask where his face should be. Without a word, he disappears back into the shadows.

A hand taps me, bringing me back. "Let's go, Colton," Iona leads me east. I know where we're going, and I have to prepare. My heart is like a war drum: every thud, a fist to my chest. My breath is short and frantic as dread envelops me. One look of reassurance from Iona, and I start to take longer breaths. The pain disappears into the shadows, but I can't help but feel eyes watching us, sending a shiver down my spine.




Character list
Colton: Main POV Character
Iona: Colton's aunt

This is a rewrite of chapter ten, divided into two parts. I ask reviewers to provide a minimum of one thing they liked and disliked. If you see errors or something that should be fixed, please don't hesitate to point it out. I can't improve otherwise.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Rinshikai All rights reserved.
Rinshikai has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.