General Poetry posted January 21, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
My father

My Dad

by royowen

My Dad ...

My dad was such a stoic man
yet brave he was, with courage ran.
In early days he read life's code,
but with discomfort's flag he strode.

His father died when he was young,
so in the work force he was flung.
He joined the army as a boy
in Dunkirk town felt little joy.

His hands held magic, with great skill
could mould a mountain from a hill.
He worked so hard, he plied his trade,
but did not reap what gems he made

He was too young the day he died,
and suffering was his final ride.
A kind and gentle man was he
life's many puzzles helped me see.

R.Owen 23/07/2021




Recognized


Dad was only 67 when he died, although mum and dad were divorced, dad loved her till the day he died. I can not remember mum saying a kind word about him, consequently, as a boy I believed her.

He remarried, and that marriage never worked either. But I discovered dad was not the man she said he was, he was a gentle man, others had a high opinion of him. He worked a lot of the time, seven days a week, eventually he had a massive stroke and died mercifully six months later. He was disabled from the neck down, I asked God to heal him or take him, he died shortly after.

He was a Dunkirk veteran, and a highly skilled tradesman, He loved ANZAC day, spending the day with his WW2 ex-veterans, I ran him to the march, and pick he and friend up later. a little worse for wear.

We were drinking buddies, I stopped drinking as a Christian, but went to the pub with him drinking soft drink, no fun for him. I miss him today. RIP dad.

Exodus 20:12 (The first commandment with promise)
Honour your father and mother, that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

Thanks for reading. R.Owen.
A late photo of my dad.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. royowen All rights reserved.
royowen has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.