Supernatural Science Fiction posted January 17, 2022 Chapters:  ...97 98 -99- 100... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Demon Hunting

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. Sorry it's short. If you catch typos or mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & I hope you enjoy!
In an exclusive Novella set in the world of the Breedline—a secret species of humans who are born with the power to shift into wolves—Shana Congrove tells the story of a young boy, Joseph who—grieving over his mother’s death at the hands of his abusive father—finds his world turned upside down. While his father awaits sentencing, Joseph is placed into the system, going from one foster family to another. And just when things couldn’t get any worse, an evil entity invades his body, introducing itself as the Shadow.

Twenty-one years later, as this mysterious demonic spirit continues to inhabit Joseph’s body, it manipulates his mind, luring him toward something dark and sinister… something that is beyond his control.    
  
Carrie Randall—a substance abuse counselor who is cursed with a boss from hell and unsuccessful at dating—comes face-to-face with death when two men approach her in a dark alley. In the midst of her assault, something resembling a werewolf, comes to her rescue in the nick of time. As she tries to process everything—unsure if what she witnessed was real or fantasy—her world suddenly collides with a handsome stranger as though they were somehow brought together by fate.  

Despite her past relationships, Carrie finds herself spellbound, falling for Joseph Parker—a handsome, yet mysterious journalist who works for an esteemed newspaper in Berkeley, California. But when Carrie discovers the terrifying secrets he’s been keeping, she begins to fear for her life.   

Now, Carrie is forced to make the hardest decision of her life. Will she turn her back on Joseph or stay and help him fight the demon, who desires her soul?               
 
Continued. . .

As soon as Manuel pulled into the apartment complex where Joseph lived, he immediately noticed Drakon’s black Hummer H3 at the far end of the parking lot. Although the windows were tinted, he could still make-out two dark figures in front, and two passengers in the back.  
 
“Looks like Drakon brought back-up,” Manuel pointed out, glancing at his partner who was sitting shotgun.

“Good thing,” said Frank. “Considering what we’re up against, we may need it.”

Manuel snorted. “Oh, we’re definitely going to need it.”

The driver’s door to the Hummer opened when Manuel hit the brakes and put the gear in park. When the two detectives exited their unmarked car, Drakon ducked out from behind the wheel of the H3, towering to the height of six-foot-seven, sporting a short-trimmed Mohawk and a pair of dark sunglasses. His expression was unreadable, hidden behind his Ray-Bans, but his presence read loud and clear. He had the aura of a trained assassin who could kill a man with his bare hands. 

Tim Ross—the council head of the Breedline Covenant—stepped out from the passenger’s side with a black satchel strapped over his shoulder, and a note of seriousness stamped all over his face. Then, Roman Kincaid and Jem Chamberlain emerged from the back, and they too, wore the same momentous look on their faces.

When the four men gathered near Manuel and Frank, Tim spoke out first, keeping his voice low, “Do you happen to know the type of vehicle Joseph drives?”

“His therapist, Dr. Katie Mendoza,” Manuel began, “says he drives a two-door, black, Jeep Cherokee. She said it looked like an older model. Maybe a year 2000 make.”

“You mean like that one,” said Drakon, pointing to the far end of the parking lot.

When everyone turned to look, they noticed a vehicle matching Manuel’s description.  
 
“Well, it looks like we’re finally getting somewhere,” said Manuel, looking between Tim and Drakon. “Now that we know he’s here, how do you propose we go about this?”

“There’s no easy way to do this,” said Tim. “We’re prepared to tranquilize Joseph if need be.”

Manuel crossed his arms, his expression one of concern. “You think it’ll be strong enough to sedate whatever the hell that thing is inside of him?”

Tim nodded and Roman said, “I sure as hell hope so. We’ve got enough to tranquilize a ten-thousand-pound elephant.”

“Are you sure that’s safe?” asked Frank. “I mean, won’t that kill him?”

Tim shrugged. “What else would you suggest we do, Detective? This demon is killing innocent people. I know Joseph is a victim himself, but we’ve got to do whatever it takes to put an end to all this.”

Jem clapped a hand over Frank’s shoulder. “Tim’s right, Detective. And don’t worry. We’re not planning on killing Joseph if it’s not necessary. Besides, if we can get him tranquilized, and keep him sedated, it might give us enough time to figure out how to release him from this evil entity. We’ve still got Sebastian Crow researching this particular type of demon. With his background in demonology, myths, and legends, he might discover a way to destroy the Shadow.”

“And if Sebastian doesn’t succeed,” Roman blurted, “we can always hire a priest.”

Drakon smirked at Roman. “If only it was that easy, buddy.”
   
“What about Jena?” asked Manuel, his eyes focusing on Tim. “Even if you manage to sedate Joseph and get him to the Covenant, won’t she sense evil and attack him?”

“Jena is still in Manhattan with Lenny,” Tim replied. “Since her blood is the cure for the vampire virus, she promised to heal the rest of his species who are infected.”

“How in the world is Jena going to accomplish such a task?” Frank queried. “I mean, she’s only one person and there must be several infected vampires.”

“Helen has teamed up with Dr. Carl Eaves,” explained Tim. “They managed to create a vaccine for the virus, using a minimal amount of Jena’s blood. They’re pretty positive it will be successful.”

“What if this doesn’t work?” asked Manuel, focusing back on their main objective. “With Jena out of town, how are we going to stop this damn…” He shook his head, appearing frustrated, “…Shadow demon, or whatever the hell you call it?”

“That’s why we brought this guy,” Roman chimed in, jamming a thumb in Jem’s direction. “If things get dicey, Jem can use those wicked hands of his and turn it to ash.”

“That will be our last resort,” Tim pointed out. “We won’t kill Joseph if we don’t have to. And that’s if the demon can be destroyed. There’s a possibility Jem’s powers may not even be strong enough.”

“Let’s get a move on, guys,” Drakon interjected. “Time is ticking.”

When they located Joseph’s apartment, they patiently waited outside the door several knocks later. Finally, Drakon said, “Okay, guys. I’m running thin on patience here.” He pointedly looked between the two detectives. “It’s obvious he’s ignoring us or he’s not even in there. Either way, I’m kicking in the door.”

“Go ahead,” said Manuel, nodding at Drakon. 

With one forceful thrust, Drakon managed to break open the door, nearly ripping it off the hinges. It didn’t take long for them to search the place and find it empty. Joseph was MIA.

“Dammit,” Manuel gritted out. “He’s either on foot or he took a Uber.” 

“Wherever he is,” said Tim, “it’s looks like he’s planning on coming back. Unless he’s replacing his entire wardrobe. Nothing seems to be missing from the bedroom closet or dresser drawers.”

“His toothbrush is still here,” said Roman, his voice echoing from the bathroom.

“And his laptop,” Drakon added. “Surely he wouldn’t leave that behind. When I went to visit the Chronicle this morning, asking to speak with Joseph, one of his coworkers told me he’d just called in, saying something about being out of the office on a supposedly…,” Drakon did finger quotations, “…work assignment.”

“Did the guy mention when Joseph would be back?” asked Manuel.

Drakon shook his head. “I asked, but the guy said he didn’t know. Even if he did, I doubt he’d tell me.”

“I have to admit,” said Manuel, arching a brow, “you look a bit intimidating, Drakon.”

“You’re probably right.” Drakon nodded in agreement. “It might have been a better idea to send someone besides me. Come to think, the guy did look a little nervous when he saw me walking in.” He lightly chuckled, then mockingly said, “You don’t think it had anything to do with my hair, do you?”

Manuel laughed. “That’s just the tip of the ice burg. Your presence alone is enough to scare the boogey man.”

Drakon pointedly looked in Tim’s direction. “So…” He shrugged. “What now?”

“We have no other choice but to wait for him to return,” said Tim.

“Frank and I will keep a look-out,” said Manuel.

“You’re not doing it alone,” said Drakon. “Roman and I will stick around as backup.”

“Thanks guys,” said Frank. “If Joseph doesn’t show up by tomorrow afternoon, my partner and I will have to slip out for a couple of hours. We’ve got a very important birthday party to go to. You think you’ll be all right without us?”

“I’m sure we can handle it, Detective,” said Drakon. “Whose birthday?”

“My niece, Carrie,” Frank replied.

“Before we leave,” said Manuel, changing the subject, “what the hell are we going to do about that?” He gestured to the door. “By the looks of it, Joseph will surely realize someone broke in.”

“Don’t worry,” said Drakon. “I’ll take care of it.”

“All right, guys.” Tim sighed. “Let’s get this done.”
 
To be continued. . .  
 
 

 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species and bonded to Cassie Chamberlain.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and the council head of the California Covenant.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil.

ADALWOLF - A species that has the power to shift from their human form into a beautiful creature, twice the size, resembling half man and half wolf. Born with super-strength, they can move from one place to another in supernatural speed. Their eyes take on the appearance of two shimmering diamonds. With the power to regenerate their own cells, an Adalwolf will stop aging at thirty. The moon has no power over them, and they are immune to silver. They can bond with any species.

Joseph Parker (a.k.a. Joseph Harris) - He works at the San Francisco Chronicle as a freelance journalist. At age five, an evil entity invaded his body after his father murdered his mother. While his father was sent to prison for his crime, Joseph was placed into several foster families until finally forced into a mental institute after diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychopathic behavior. As time passed and with the evil entity's guidance, Joseph was later released into society.

The Shadow - An evil entity who has possessed Joseph Parker. Its main purpose is to gain access to souls by using its host to kill, consuming human flesh.

Dr. Helen Carrington - She is a Breedline species and a physician at the California Bates Hospital for both Breedlines and humans. She later bonds to Alexander Crest.

Dr. Carl Eaves - He is a Breedline and Chief Surgeon at the Bates Hospital.

Jena McCain - She is an inspiring artist with the ability to speak with the dead. Jena was attacked and bitten by an age-old creature and cursed with a lust for human blood. Now that she is to become the creature and hunt humans, instead of killing innocent people, she will only hunt evil.

Lenny - He is a hybrid. A peaceful vampire that only feeds off the blood of animals.

Sebastian Crow - He is a half-breed and Eve's bonded mate. He has the power to summon a portal.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.