Supernatural Science Fiction posted January 10, 2022 Chapters:  ...96 97 -98- 99... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Fearless/Part One

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. If you catch typos or mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & I hope you enjoy!
In an exclusive Novella set in the world of the Breedline—a secret species of humans who are born with the power to shift into wolves—Shana Congrove tells the story of a young boy, Joseph who—grieving over his mother’s death at the hands of his abusive father—finds his world turned upside down. While his father awaits sentencing, Joseph is placed into the system, going from one foster family to another. And just when things couldn’t get any worse, an evil entity invades his body, introducing itself as the Shadow.

Twenty-one years later, as this mysterious demonic spirit continues to inhabit Joseph’s body, it manipulates his mind, luring him toward something dark and sinister… something that is beyond his control.   
   
Carrie Randall—a substance abuse counselor who is cursed with a boss from hell and unsuccessful at dating—comes face-to-face with death when two men approach her in a dark alley. In the midst of her assault, something resembling a werewolf, comes to her rescue in the nick of time. As she tries to process everything—unsure if what she witnessed was real or fantasy—her world suddenly collides with a handsome stranger as though they were somehow brought together by fate.  

Despite her past relationships, Carrie finds herself spellbound, falling for Joseph Parker—a handsome, yet mysterious journalist who works for an esteemed newspaper in Berkeley, California. But when Carrie discovers the terrifying secrets he’s been keeping, she begins to fear for her life.   

Now, Carrie is forced to make the hardest decision of her life. Will she turn her back on Joseph or stay and help him fight the demon, who desires her soul?               
 
Continued. . .

Carrie sat at the kitchen table, staring down at her phone, her mind whirling in all directions. Exhaling a deep breath, she cradled her face into the palms of her hands. She wanted to cry, to scream, to break things. She couldn’t believe her boss was dead, murdered by the man she loved. But in truth, it wasn’t Joseph who was responsible for the heinous act. It was the evil entity—the Shadow—possessing his body.

Sure, Veronica deserved her share of karma for all the shitty things she’d said and done, but dear God, not death. Now Joseph blamed himself. And he was willing to end his own life to protect the innocent. To protect her.

She had to find a way to help Joseph, to stop him… to stop the Shadow… from killing again. There must be a way, she feverishly thought.  

The sound of a light knock coming from the back sliding glass door brought her head up. Her eyes widened in alarm, realizing she’d forgot to lock it. She’d left it open, leaving the screen in its place, savoring the morning air after a refreshing rain.

As she slowly rose, her shoulders tensed, and her heart pounded in anticipation. She cautiously crept toward the door, and the moment she caught sight of the person standing behind the screen, her heart nearly melted. She instantly released the breath she hadn’t realized she’d been holding and softly murmured, “Joseph…”

He was soaked to the bone, hair falling to his shoulders in a wet, tangled mess, staring back at her with an expression of defeat edged into every groove of his handsome face. Dark shadows casted a haunted look in his sapphire eyes that told her he hadn’t slept in days. Then, Carrie became concerned when she noticed the bandage over his forehead. Although, in retrospect, she should be terrified. Any woman in her right mind would be scared out of her mind. Afterall, the thing possessing the man she loved had wanted to kill her. Still wanted to kill her. But all she wanted to do was throw open the barrier that separated them and wrap her arms around him. She wanted nothing more than to tell him everything was going to be okay. If only it were true.

“Are you okay?” she asked, staring at his bandaged forehead. “What happened?”

“I’m fine. It was just an accident.”

As she reached up to slide open the screen door, he held up a halting hand. “Wait…” he abruptly said. “If you open that door,” he paused, swallowing hard, “I can’t promise I won’t hurt you, Carrie. I can’t control the Shadow anymore.”

“You won’t hurt me,” she said reassuringly. “You’ve had enough chances to already. I trust you, Joseph.”

“But how—” Confusion closed his mouth. “How can you trust me after everything that’s happened? I’ve…” He swallowed back tears, “…killed people.”

“You’re not a killer, Joseph. It’s the monster inside you.”

“That’s not entirely true, Carrie. It wasn’t just the Shadow who chose to kill my father. I wanted him dead. And I would have killed you too.”

“It doesn’t matter now,” she said as tears formed in her eyes. “I forgive you, Joseph. God will forgive you, too.”

He shook his head. “I’m not so sure about that.”

“You didn’t ask for this. And you surely don’t deserve the life you’ve been dealt.”
     
“I don’t know what to do,” he said in a trembling voice. “I don’t know how to stop it.”

“We’ll figure this out.” She slid open the screen and extended her hand. “There has to be a way to stop it.”

When he took hold of her hand, she guided him inside, sensing his uneasiness. As they made their way past the kitchen and into the living room, she stopped and turned toward him. Tilting her head back, she stared into his tortured gaze and murmured, “Kiss me, Joseph.”

He went rigid, her request creating an unsettling feeling in the pit of his gut.  

“Don’t worry,” she whispered. “I’m not afraid of you. I’m not afraid of the Shadow.”

He shook his head. “But—”

She placed a finger to his lips. “Just kiss me.”

He closed the short distance between them, dipping low, and hesitated only for a moment before he gently pressed his mouth against hers. His lips were soft as suede, lingering, trembling.

She reached up, grabbed onto his shoulders, and tugged him closer. As their kiss deepened, and their tongues explored, she felt lost in him. After a few moments, she withdrew from their embrace and whipped her strap shirt over her head. The second she started to undo her bra, he reached out and took hold of her hand. “Carrie…” He visibly swallowed. “Are you sure?”

“Please…” Her eyes pleaded. “Make love to me.”

Infusing himself with courage, he nodded and gently tugged at her hand. “Let’s take this to your bedroom.”  

As soon as they made it upstairs and into her room, he asked, “Where’s your roommate?”

“Jessica’s at work,” she replied, gazing up into his blue eyes. “We’ve got the entire day to ourselves. And probably the night, that is…” she paused, gauging his reaction, “…if you want to stay over.”

“I’ll stay as long as you’ll have me.”

In an endeavor to continue what she started downstairs, she kicked her tennis shoes free and stripped out of her jeans. As she took off her bra and her panties, a yearning within him instantly stirred. “Oh, god, Carrie…” His breath hitched as he took in the curves of her petite frame, nearly rendering him speechless. “You’re beautiful.”

His words brought a flush to her face. “Your turn,” she said, slightly smiling as she sat on the edge of the mattress, waiting for Joseph to join her.

A moment later, the bed dipped as he sat down beside her, his clothes removed and his heart hammering. “I love you, Carrie.” As he spoke, his voice changed. It was so deep; his words sounded a bit distorted. “You’re everything to me.”

When she turned to meet his gaze, two soulless orbs stared back at her. There was a spellbinding quality to them, an alluring persuasion she couldn’t look away from, even though she knew it wasn’t just Joseph that was present. It was the Shadow too. And for some strange reason, she didn’t care. She wouldn’t allow herself to be afraid. Not this time. 

“I love you, too, Joseph.”
 
To be continued. . .
 
            
 
   

      
    
 
 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

Carrie Randall - She is Detective Frank Perkin's niece. She works as a substance abuse counselor in Berkeley, California. She has a love interest in Joseph Parker.

Joseph Parker (a.k.a. Joseph Harris) - He works at the San Francisco Chronicle as a freelance journalist. At age five, an evil entity invaded his body after his father murdered his mother. While his father was sent to prison for his crime, Joseph was placed into several foster families until finally forced into a mental institute after diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychopathic behavior. As time passed and with the evil entity's guidance, Joseph was later released into society.

The Shadow - An evil entity who has possessed Joseph Parker. Its main purpose is to gain access to souls by using its host to kill, consuming human flesh.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.