Supernatural Science Fiction posted January 4, 2022 Chapters:  ...95 96 -97- 98... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Crime Scene/Part Two

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. If you catch typos or mistakes, please let me know. Happy New Year! Stay safe & I hope you enjoy.
Previously. . .

The two detectives turned when they heard approaching footsteps. When they noticed a police officer heading in their direction in a hurried pace, their expressions grew serious.

“Detective’s,” said the officer, “we just got a call in. A male in his early-to-mid-twenties was struck by a vehicle. It’s near the park and going by the call, it sounds pretty bad. Officers’ Channing and Taylor were the first responders on the scene. An ambulance is on the way.”

“Do we have an ID on the victim?” asked Manuel.

“Yes sir,” said the officer. “Joseph Parker. We have a witness at the scene. Apparently, the victim was crossing the street when he was hit. He was jogging, I believe.” 

Instantly, the hairs on Manuel’s neck stood on end. He traded glances with Frank, his throat dry and grainy, noticing the same look of bewilderment stamped all over his partner’s face, then said, “Well, shit. That’s our guy. Let’s go, partner.”
  
Continued . . .

As two male paramedics hustled from the back of an ambulance and rushed over with a gurney, a guy wearing a ball cap muttered, “H-He just came out of nowhere. I hit the brakes…” He continued to ramble, pointing at a body sprawled out on the side of the road, “…but it was too late.”

A police officer came forward, motioning to the guy to stand back. “Please sir.” He held up a halting hand. “Step aside and let the EMTs do their job.”

The guy gave the officer a look of understanding and moved back while the paramedics began checking the victim, whose breathing appeared to be shallow.  

Joseph tasted blood. Not just any blood, he realized, but his blood. And the scent of it made his stomach churn. Suddenly, the world around him dimmed and began to spin, moving in slow circles, as though he was a lonely passenger on an endless carousel. Although his vision didn’t seem to be working, he could hear voices trading back and forth, speaking in urgent tones.

“He’s got a pulse,” a medic called out, “but his blood pressure is sixty over forty and falling.”

“Quick,” said another medic, looking out of a pair of glasses with Coke-bottle lenses, “let’s get him on the gurney.” 
 
When Joseph felt his body being lifted, everything went utterly silent. Then, his lungs began to burn painfully. His heart stuttered, and his breath came in gulping gasps, desperate for air. But no matter how hard he fought, he drifted further into the darkness. He could barely register the voice above him say, “He’s losing consciousness.”

It wasn’t until now, Joseph knew that death loomed near. He was finally ready to surrender himself to eternal emptiness, to the all-consuming nothingness.   

Then, out of nowhere, snapshots of images flashed inside his head. They were like forgotten memories forged from his subconscious. It was as if he was a bystander, watching everything play out through someone else’s eyes. He stood before Veronica, their faces mere inches apart, their breaths merging.

Her eyes expressed uneasiness as his feral gaze bored into her, blazing with what looked to be hunger. His chest heaved, and his handsome face began to shift into something unnatural… something hideous. The color from his face drained, turning as pale as a corpse. Black spider-webbed veins appeared on his ghostly skin like a mask of demonic horror. When he spoke, his voice was sinister, evil. “I can smell your rotten soul.”

“Joseph, please…” She scrambled back, tripping over her stiletto heels as he inched closer, his eyes as black as a crow’s and his teeth as sharp as needles. “Please—” Her words were cut off when he gripped her by the throat, paralyzing her with fear. She opened her mouth to scream but only a gasp managed to escape her lips.

“Did you really think I’d let you die so easily, Joseph?” the Shadow whispered inside Joseph’s mind. “Remember…” His voice grew deeper, more demanding. “I’m in control now.”

“He’s coming back around,” said the first medic, snapping Joseph back to reality. 

As if woken from a nightmarish dream, his lids flew open, and his mouth parted with a gasp. At that moment, his faculties had returned, remembering what the Shadow had made him do. Oh god… he feverishly thought. It’s true. I killed her. I killed Veronica.

“Hang on, Mr. Parker,” said the medic, looking down at Joseph with concern brimming in his magnified eyes. “You’re in good hands. We’ll get you to the Bates Hospital as soon as we can.”

“Hospital?” Joseph groaned, slightly raising his head. “No…” He tried to push himself up, but something kept him confined. “No hospital.”

“You need to relax, sir,” said the other medic, using a soothing voice. “You’ve been in an accident. I think it’s best to get you checked out.”

For a moment, Joseph wasn’t sure where he was or what had happened. He remembered talking on the phone with Carrie about her boss being murdered, then shortly after, telling her good-bye and next he’d took off sprinting. After that, everything seemed like a blur. Now he was strapped to a gurney, fixing to be hauled off to the hospital, and he felt like he’d been hit over the head with a baseball bat.

He put a hand over his pounding forehead, noticing there was a bandage. “W-What happened?” he croaked out.

Then a man wearing a ball cap, looking distraught, suddenly appeared in Joseph’s field of vision. “Hey man… Are you okay?” he asked, strolling alongside the paramedics as they wheeled him to the ambulance. “You ran out in front of me. I tried to stop.” He stared at Joseph apologetically. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to hit you.”

Joseph studied the guy’s face, recalling the same panicked expression behind the wheel of a white Ford pickup, right before it struck his body, and everything faded into darkness.

“It’s not your fault,” said Joseph, his voice raspy. “I’m okay, I think.” He looked down at himself, scanning over his torso and then to his legs. Other than two skinned knees, scrapped elbows, and the aching in his head, he seemed to be fine.

“Are you sure?” asked the guy, his brows arching high on his forehead. “I mean… Don’t you think you should see a doctor or something?”

“I’m sure,” said Joseph, averting his eyes from the guy who’d accidently hit him with his truck and looked to the medic who was at the foot of the gurney. “Please…” He shook his head. “I’ll be fine. I don’t want to go to the hospital.”

The gurney came to an abrupt stop. “You’ll have to sign a refusal of care form before we can release you,” said the medic who was facing him. “But I highly recommend you see your regular physician for that head injury. There’s a possibility you could have a concussion.”

Joseph dipped his head. “I understand.”

Moments later, after Joseph signed the form and the ambulance drove away, two police officers had Joseph and the driver of the vehicle stay behind and sign an incident report.

“By the way,” said the driver, extending his hand to Joseph, “my name is Jared Hunter.”

“Nice to meet you, Jared.” Joseph took hold of his hand. “I’m Joseph Parker.”

“Well, Joseph,” said Jared, shrugging. “Would you like a ride?”

“Mmmm…” the Shadow smacked his lips. “I’m starving. Accept his offer.”

“Nah.” Joseph waved it off. “I’ll be okay to walk.”

“You sure?” Jared pointed to the bandage on Joseph’s head. “That looks pretty painful. At least let me drive you home.”

Joseph considered. He was a bit woozy, and his legs felt weak. Finally, he nodded and said, “Thanks. I’d appreciate it.”

Jared smiled. “Great. Where we headed?”

“Not far. My apartment building is just a few miles from the park’s entrance.”

“Hillside Village.” Jared beamed. “My sister lives there.”

“Excellent…” spouted the Shadow, alarming Joseph. “Two for the price of one.”

“On second thought,” said Joseph. “Would you mind dropping me off at my girlfriend’s place?”

Jared nodded. “No problem.”

By the time Detectives’ Manuel Sanchez and Frank Perkins arrived, the white Ford pickup had already gone, driving away with Joseph Parker.

Realizing the ambulance had already left, and the only thing at the scene was a single police cruiser, Manuel turned to his partner with defeat etched into the grooves of his face. “Dammit…” He grumbled, gripping the steering wheel until his knuckles shown white. “We must have missed the ambulance.”

"Relax partner," said Frank, reaching for the door. "At least Officer Taylor is still here. I'm sure he knows what hospital Mr. Parker is being transported to."

Manuel nodded, trying to be patient. As he exited the vehicle and headed toward the police cruiser, Officer Taylor meet them half-way.

He tipped his hat. "What can I do for you, Detectives?"

Frank raised an inquisitive brow. "Would you happen to know what hospital the victim was being transported to?"

"Damnedest thing," said the officer, shaking his head. "Mr. Parker refused to go to the hospital, saying he didn't need to see a doctor. Hell, the way things were looking, I didn't think the guy was going to make it. Then, he miraculously opened his eyes like nothing ever happened. If you ask me, he's one lucky bastard. I mean, who walks away from getting hit by a truck with just a few scrapes and bruises?"

Manuel groaned. "So, where the hell did he go?"

"Gets even crazier," said the officer, lightly chuckling. "He caught a ride with the fella who hit him."

"You've got to be kidding me," said Manuel, rolling his eyes. "What's the name of the driver?"

"Jared Hunter," the officer replied. "Nice guy, too."

"Did either Mr. Hunter or Mr. Parker happen to mention where they were headed?" asked Manuel.

"Sorry, Detective. Mr. Parker didn't say, but I did overhear him ask if he could be dropped off at his girlfriend's place."

Manuel blew out a deep breath. "You didn't happen to hear where that was, did you?"

Officer Taylor shook his head. "I'm sure you'll be able to catch up with him at his apartment building." He handed Manuel the incident report. "Mr. Parker lives at Hillside Village. It's just a few miles from here."

"Yeah," said Manuel, his eyes searching over the report, locating Joseph's apartment number. "I know exactly where it's at."      

To be continued. . .
      
  
           
 

 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Carrie Randall - She is Detective Frank Perkin's niece. She works as a substance abuse counselor in Berkeley, California. She has a love interest in Joseph Parker.

Joseph Parker (a.k.a. Joseph Harris) - He works at the San Francisco Chronicle as a freelance journalist. At age five, an evil entity invaded his body after his father murdered his mother. While his father was sent to prison for his crime, Joseph was placed into several foster families until finally forced into a mental institute after diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychopathic behavior. As time passed and with the evil entity's guidance, Joseph was later released into society.

The Shadow - An evil entity who has possessed Joseph Parker. Its main purpose is to gain access to souls by using its host to kill, consuming human flesh.

Veronica Hernandez - Carrie's boss.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.