General Non-Fiction posted January 3, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A favourite childhood memory

A journey back in time

by Joanne Gill-Maddick



Back in the day when I was a young girl, I loved to go berry-picking with my parents. One day in particular I was picking Partridgeberries with them. I recall my dad leading me to an excellent spot, a memory that is still so vivid in my mind's eye.

The sweet scent of luscious berries filled the air.  I recall kneeling down by a big old oak stump and all around it were beautiful wine coloured berries.  Almost as if someone had thrown them there they were so plentiful.

I picked and picked until I filled two buckets. I was so proud of the berries I picked. Somewhere along the way I hooked my bag of berries into a twig tearing a hole in my bag.  I lost most of them. I could track my berries right back to where I lost them. They had left a trail.

My parents thought it was rather amusing I managed to walk to the road without realizing I had been losing my berries the whole way. They wondered why I didn't feel my bag getting lighter.

It was only after I returned to the road, that I realized most of my berries were gone. I was so sad having lost them.
However; in the end I laughed at myself for not realizing I had lost my berries.

All in all I still enjoyed a wonderful day in the great outdoors, picking berries and enjoying a picnic lunch. Along with a precious memory that is etched in my mind forever, a beautiful moment in time shared with Mom and Dad.

It still makes me smile when I think of it. My parents are both deceased now. They both shared the same love for berry-picking. Even in old age when my dad's legs failed him and he could no longer pick berries himself. He still took my Mom because he knew how much she loved it.

He would park at the side of the road in the car and wait patiently for her to pick berries. He was an angel on earth and I was so proud to be his daughter.



~ Family Story ~ (true) writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
READ ALL RULES!!!
No vulgar words, sexual terms, murder, or profanity allowed--no warnings
MUST be about a HUMAN family/told from any POV
Minimum of 340 and maximum of 360 words
No writing on the ONE picture that's allowed /No animation with picture or music
One color of font only

Recognized


My parents often reminisced about our berry-picking adventure and how I lost my berries. It always brought smiles and made a great conversation piece.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Joanne Gill-Maddick All rights reserved.
Joanne Gill-Maddick has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.