Supernatural Science Fiction posted December 20, 2021 Chapters:  ...93 94 -95- 96... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

A Killer

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. If you catch typos or mistakes, please let me know. Sorry so short. Maybe more next round. Stay safe & I hope you enjoy!
In an exclusive Novella set in the world of the Breedline—a secret species of humans who are born with the power to shift into wolves—Shana Congrove tells the story of a young boy, Joseph Parker who—grieving over his mother’s death at the hands of his abusive father—finds his world turned upside down. While his father awaits sentencing, Joseph is placed into the system, going from one foster family to another. And just when things couldn’t get any worse, an evil entity invades his body, introducing itself as the Shadow.

Twenty-one years later, as this mysterious demonic spirit continues to inhabit Joseph’s body, it manipulates his mind, luring him toward something dark and sinister… something that is beyond his control.  
  
Carrie Randall—a substance abuse counselor who is cursed with a boss from hell and unsuccessful at dating—comes face-to-face with death when two men approach her in a dark alley. But before her attackers take things too far, something resembling a werewolf, comes to her rescue in the nick of time. As she tries to process everything—unsure if what she witnessed was real or fantasy—her world suddenly collides with a handsome stranger as though they were somehow brought together by fate.  

Despite her past relationships, Carrie finds herself spellbound, falling for Joseph Parker—a handsome, yet mysterious journalist who works for an esteemed newspaper in Berkeley, California. But when Carrie discovers the terrifying secrets he’s been keeping, she begins to fear for her life.   

Now Carrie is forced to make the hardest decision of her life. Will she turn her back on Joseph or stay and help him fight the demon who desires her soul?   

           
Joseph’s legs moved faster than they’d ever had been able to before. He ran, his muscles pumping furiously, along the park trails as images of the other morning flooded his mind. The nightmarish crime scene he and his coworker had accidently came upon had unfortunately been his doing. The Shadow—the evil entity possessing his body—had somehow taken control of his subconscious and physical state, forcing him to kill again. He felt dirty, used.

He racked his brain, trying to remember, but the events of the previous night were hazy and a blur now. And he knew it wasn’t because he’d blocked it from his memory, it was because the Shadow had used his body to commit the heinous crime. Though his memory of killing his father and Carrie’s ex-boyfriend were clear as the day, he couldn’t see himself killing the innocent person someone had discovered in an alley near Mildred’s Café. 

I killed an innocent person.

He couldn’t believe it. But denying it was useless. It had happened, and the realization of it all consumed his brain, pushing everything else aside. It was too much, and he didn’t want to think about it. Hot tears sprang from his eyes and rolled down his cheeks. I’m so sorry… Please forgive me, God.       
      
Finally, nearly exhausting himself, he slowed to a walk and checked his watch. Realizing he was already late for work, he stopped at a tree and put his back against it. He leaned forward and lowered his head into the palm of his hands, thinking. How am I going to stop all this madness? And how am I going to keep Carrie safe?

He looked up and released a ragged breath. “God…” he helplessly pleaded. “I’m begging you. Please help me.” 

“You’re wasting your breath, Joseph,” said the Shadow. “God cannot help you now.”    
    
The Shadow’s taunting voice continued to eat at his sanity, chipping it away bit by bit, leaving nothing behind but a body fueled with rage and desperation. Joseph straightened his shoulders with his hands fisted at his sides. “Instead of hiding inside my head,” he said through gritted teeth, “why don’t you face me, Shadow?” He whirled, his eyes searching. “So I can kill you.” 

Then, with incredible speed, Joseph was hoisted off the ground by some unknown force. Trying to gather his bearings, to get a grip on reality, he was violently tossed against a big oak. The sudden impact knocked the breath out of him. As gravity took hold, he helplessly plunged downward, gasping for air. The moment his fall came to an abrupt halt, he winced in agony, and his vision flickered on and off like a strand of old Christmas lights. But before he lost consciousness, certain the darkness would take hold, he fought against it, compelling his eyes to stay open. After a few moments, he gathered what strength he had left and slowly rose to his feet. On unsteady legs, he stood, supporting his weight against the sturdy oak, waiting for the invisible attacker in ready silence. But there was nothing. He was alone, feeling broken.

As it started to rain, Joseph lowered his head and simply checked out, his thoughts lingering beyond the rim of awareness. When the sky grew darker, and it began to pour, still, he did not move. He didn’t even register his soaked clothes sticking to his body like a second layer of skin, or that his socks and shoes were completely drenched.

A pulsing vibration coming from his phone snapped him into focus. As it continued to buzz in the armband he had attached to his biceps, he pulled it out and looked at the screen. When Carrie’s name came up on the caller ID, he swallowed against the dryness in his throat and answered, “Carrie…” 

“Joseph, she’s dead,” muttered Carrie.

“W-What?” 

“Veronica,” her voice trembled. “My boss… She’s dead.”

Joseph’s mind reeled and his hands began to shake. Oh my God… Did I kill her?  

After a few beats of silence, Carrie raised her voice, “Joseph, are you still there?”   
                            
“I-I’m so sorry, Carrie. W-What happened?”

“Her body…” Carrie began, her voice filled with dread. “It was discovered by the cleaning staff first thing this morning. They found her in the parking lot, lying next to her car. I don’t know all the details yet, but they think she was killed last night. She was working late and—”

“Carrie,” Joseph abruptly said, “did they tell you how she was killed?”

“I was told her heart was torn…” Carrie’s voice trailed off.  

Joseph said nothing. His thoughts shifted to the day he’d confronted Carrie’s boss. She’d seen what he was. Witnessed the evil. He’d never forget the look on her face, the terror in her eyes, and her sobbing pleas. Then, for some strange reason, her fear transformed into sympathy. At that moment, he vowed he’d never take another life. And now, he was being forced to kill again.

“I warned you, Joseph,” the Shadow gritted out. “You no longer have a choice.”

“Please Joseph,” pleaded Carrie. “Please tell me you didn’t do this.”

No, no, no, no! Joseph closed his eyes, the words in his head repeating over and over. I didn’t kill her. I didn’t kill her. I didn’t…

“Yes, Joseph,” said the Shadow, “together, WE killed her.”

The Shadow’s spine-chilling admission broke something inside of Joseph. For a moment, he just stood there, eyes wide, heart racing. Then suddenly, he felt dizzy as though the ground swayed, tipping the world side-to-side. He dropped to his knees; his face twisted into a mask of pain. He was a killer. A killer! The truth cut like a knife. Now it was real. And he had to accept what he was. But no, he couldn’t. He wouldn’t.    
 
“Carrie…” he finally croaked out. “I-I swear… I can’t remember. But I think…” he paused, clearing his throat, “I killed Veronica.” 

“If it’s true, that thing made you do it,” she said, anger surging in her voice. “Do you hear me, Joseph? You’re not responsible for this.”   

“It needs to be stopped. Permanently.” He swallowed around the lump in his throat. “I have to end this.”

“What are you saying, Joseph?”

For a moment he was silent, looking up at the cloudy sky as the rain subsided, shifting into a light mist. Finally, he opened his mouth, and said, “Don’t you see, Carrie? There’s no other way.” He slowly maneuvered himself back on his feet. “If I continue to live, so will the Shadow.”

“No, Joseph.” Carrie’s voice was panic-stricken. “I won’t let you do this. There has to be another way.”

“I’m sorry…” Joseph paused, fighting back the words, to say good-bye. “I have to go, Carrie.”

Looking around wildly, heart hammering, not sure where to go, he took off running like an animal of prey evading its predator. As he ran, he tried not to think of Carrie. Leaving her made his heart ache as though he was already dying. But he knew if he didn't stop the Shadow, she'd never be safe. And right now, that was all he cared about, all he could think about. 

 
To be continued...

 
 
 
 

 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

Carrie Randall - She is Detective Frank Perkin's niece. She works as a substance abuse counselor in Berkeley, California. She has a love interest in Joseph Parker.

Joseph Parker (a.k.a. Joseph Harris) - He works at the San Francisco Chronicle as a freelance journalist. At age five, an evil entity invaded his body after his father murdered his mother. While his father was sent to prison for his crime, Joseph was placed into several foster families until finally forced into a mental institute after diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychopathic behavior. As time passed and with the evil entity's guidance, Joseph was later released into society.

The Shadow - An evil entity who has possessed Joseph Parker. Its main purpose is to gain access to souls by using its host to kill, consuming human flesh.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.