Supernatural Science Fiction posted December 14, 2021 Chapters:  ...92 93 -94- 95... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Healing a Vampire Bite

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. If you catch typos or mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & I hope you enjoy!
In the Covenant’s guestroom, lying in a bed that would qualify as the world’s most comfortable mattress, Frank stared up at the ceiling, filtering through all the events of the last few days. Although they were a bit muddled and lacking coherence, still, the vampire who’d bit him would forever haunt his memories. Each time his mind took him there, he saw the bloodlust in Karina’s soulless eyes, smelt the stench of death, and felt the burning sensation as she sank her ivory fangs into his flesh. Then there was blood. His blood.

The dinging noise coming from his phone instantly brought his mind back. The moment he reached for it, and looked at the screen, he saw there were two texts—one from Tim Ross, saying his twenty-four hours of isolation was up and that he was in the clear, which meant Karina hadn’t injected him with vampire venom, thank God, and another from his partner letting him know he was headed his way with some new information on the murder case they were working on. Then, he checked the time, noticing it was almost noon. Thinking about lunch made his stomach growl. At least it’s food I’m hungry for, not blood, he thought, feeling an overwhelming sense of relief.   

He heaved out a deep breath and positioned himself higher on the pillows. Before he rose out of bed, he reached for his neck and felt for the bandage where Helen had patched him up. Smoothing his fingers over the gauze, he wondered if the bite would leave a scar. Most likely, he thought, remembering Helen saying it took twelve stitches to seal the wound. Now all he had to do was explain to his wife how he managed such an injury. He didn’t want to lie, but what other explanation could he give Missy? He couldn’t very well tell her he’d been bitten by a vampire. She’d think he’d done lost his mind. He had to come up with something. She’d never believe he’d accidently cut himself shaving. No, that would be ridiculous. Maybe she’d come closer to believing he’d been attacked during an arrest, getting cut with a knife in the process. No, that would require too much detail and theatrics.

Never in his life had he resented the limitations of being human until now. It’d be so much easier if he’d shared the DNA of his Breedline friends. Compared to humans, they have tremendous advantages when it came to dealing with wounds or illnesses. Their bodies healed super-fast, and they weren’t subjected to diseases or illnesses like cancer. Although, silver was dangerous to the Breedline species. It was sort of like their kryptonite. It would slow their healing process, and one silver bullet to the brain was a death sentence. But some of the members of the Breedline Covenant, like Jace and Jem, were immune to silver.

A light tap at the door made him look up. “Detective…” A familiar voice called out. “It’s Steven. Mind if I come in?”

“Yah,” said Frank. His throat was dry. “It’s open.”

When the door creaked open, a tall man slowly made his way inside the room. His black T-shirt was stretched over his lean muscles and his shoulder-length chestnut hair was tucked behind his ears. Although Steven was Tessa’s fraternal twin brother, the only commonalities they shared were the color of their hair and their shimmering emerald green eyes.   

Steven looked at Frank. “How are you feeling?”

“Much better,” said Frank, pushing himself into a sitting position. “Especially now that I’m a free man.”

“I heard,” said Steven, smiling. “That’s great news.”

“You ain’t a-kiddin,’ said Frank, his face expressing relief. “There for a minute or two, I was worried I might become one of those things.

“You mean a vampire?”

Frank nodded. “I’ve got enough to explain to my wife when she sees this bandage on my neck. I’d hate to think how I’d explain the worst-case scenario. And whatever lame story I come up with, she’ll know I’m keeping something from her. Missy can read me like a book.”

“Well, maybe you won’t have to explain anything.”

Frank fixed Steven with an inquisitive stare. “What do you mean?”

“Tessa asked me if I’d heal your wound,” said Steven. “That’s why I’m here. I mean…” he shrugged, “…only if you want me to.”

Frank’s mouth hung open. He finally closed it and said, “R-Really?”

Steven crossed his arms over his chest. “Sure, why not? You and your partner have gone out of your way to help us out on more than one occasion, so why wouldn’t we help you? Besides, you two are part of the Breedline family now.”

“But how? Is it dangerous?”

“Normally, all I need to do is make physical contact,” explained Steven. “I’ll take on your wound, then heal myself. It won’t take long. And don’t worry. It’s perfectly safe.”

Frank felt his eyes go wide. The whole healing thing was too bizarre, too unreal. It was still hard for him to wrap his mind around knowing there were people who could shift into giant wolves, and now someone who had the power to heal. It didn’t seem possible. “That’s so unbelievable,” he managed to croak out.

“It’s a gift. And God gave it to me for a reason. So, what do you say, Detective?”

Relief surged through Frank once more. “I say, let’s do it. What do I need to do?”

“Just relax,” instructed Steven, “and close your eyes.”

At first, after Steven sat down in a chair facing him and placed his hand over the bandage that covered Frank’s wound, he hadn’t noticed anything different. Then, a few minutes later, his body filled with a tingling warmth. It spread to his head and traveled all the way down to his toes. Frank kept his eyes closed, knowing somehow, Steven was working his magic. The stitches beneath the bandage softly prickled like tiny pins and needles, then began to itch.

Steven removed his hand. “You can open your eyes now,” he whispered.  

Frank’s lids snapped open, and he drew in a breath. Instantly, he reached for the bandage and put his hand over it, fingers aimlessly searching for the wound beneath. “Unbeliev—” his words trailed off the moment he saw blood covering Steven’s neck. “Y-Your bleeding,” he blurted, pointing at what looked to be a deep, bloody wound.

“It’s okay,” said Steven. His voice was shaky but there was a thread of steel infused into his words. “The wound will disappear soon.”

Frank lowered his hand and watched in startled silence as he witnessed something remarkable happening right before his very eyes. The open gash on Steven’s neck miraculously began to grow smaller, until finally, it faded into nothing as though it had never been there. Even the blood had vanished like it had magically willed itself back inside.

“I-I can’t believe it,” muttered Frank. “The wound is gone.”

Steven smiled. “And so is yours.”

Frank quickly reached for the bandage covering his neck and peeled it off. The second he drew his hand over the area that had been previously lined with stitches, he was shocked to find the skin smooth and free of any existing sutures.  

“I wouldn’t believe it if I hadn’t experienced it firsthand,” said Frank. “What you did…” he paused, swallowing the knot that had formed in the back of his throat, “…was truly a selfless act. And that’s something that barely exists nowadays.” His eyes beamed with an overwhelming expression of gratitude. “Thank you, Steven.”

Steven stood. “It was my pleasure, Detective. And if you’re hungry, Tessa and some of the others prepared a big lunch for everyone.”

“That’s music to my ears,” said Frank, his stomach growling at the mere mention of food. “And my stomach.”

“I hear yah, Detective,” chortled Steven as he gave Frank a pat on the shoulder. “I’ll meet you downstairs in a few.”

When the door closed behind Steven, Frank sat there for a few moments, thinking. As ridiculous as it sounded, he felt like some pieces of the puzzles he and his partner were diligently working so hard to solve were slowly starting to come together. If anything, the Breedline gave him hope when nothing else had been able to chip away at all the corrupt and diabolical beings of this world. And he was grateful they made a difference.            
        
 To be continued. . .            
       
 
 
 
 
 
 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

Biters - They are dangerous vampires that hunt humans and comprised of only females.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Karina Adams - She works as a bail's bondsmen, hired by Dr. Henry Michaels to kidnap Jena McCain. She was later turned by a species of vampires, known as Biters.

Dr. Helen Carrington - She is a Breedline species and a physician at the California Bates Hospital for both Breedlines and humans. She later bonds to Alexander Crest.

Steven Pasquale (a.k.a. Steven Craven) - He inherited the genes of a Breedline and an Adalwolf. He is Tessa Fairchild's fraternal twin and is Abigail Winthrop's bonded mate.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon. His bonded mate is Tessa Fairchild. He's an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and the council head of the California Covenant.

Tessa Fairchild (a.k.a. the Breedline Queen) - She was born into the human world and later discovers she's a Breedline. Abandoned by her parents, and raised by her aunt and uncle, Tessa has no knowledge of being born a twin. After she meets Jace, they become bonded mates. During her first change into her Breedline wolf, she shifts into the new Breedline queen. She is an inspiring artist.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.