Mystery and Crime Fiction posted December 7, 2021 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Luke is all in to find a daughter he never met

A chapter in the book Leave of Absence

Stolen Time

by forestport12




Background
Officer Luke Cole lost his first daughter to a car accident. Years after he's given a divorce, only to discover he's fathered another daughter who needs to be found.

Luke caught his dog and leashed him to a post outside the door. Suzie's cat was safe for now. He followed Suzie into her home. With his heart skipping beats, his mind a blender of thoughts. He wondered if she still loved him. How could he admit to it when they needed to find their daughter? It seemed time had stolen his first love and what could have been the life he should have lived.

Suzie led Luke to the kitchen table where pictures of Chrissy were spread out on the table, along with a tablet, notes she'd taken with names and phone numbers of friends and others Chrissy may have gotten in touch with who could give Luke a lead on her whereabouts.

"You want some coffee?" Asked Suzie.

Luke's nose breathed in the aroma of fresh coffee. "I could use it. Haven't slept much." He ran his fingers through his mousy hair.

"I don't even know how you take it."

"Black with a heap of sugar."

Suzie tried to steady her hand to pour Luke a cup of Joe. She managed to get it to him without spilling any.

Luke was unable to take his eyes off Suzie. "I made a promise. I told you I'd be here for you someday, if you needed me."

"I...I never meant to hold you to it. We were just kids. Dreamers." Tears filled her eyes.

Luke looked down at the pictures of the daughter he never knew existed until a week ago. Suzie showed him a more recent photo of her from high school, dark hair, and dark eye shadow. There was no crease of a smile. It looked as if Chrissy had a dark cloud following her.

Suzie squeezed her eyes shut and rubbed her eyelids. "Can you forgive me?"

"There's nothing to forgive. We found each other again, and we have a daughter to find." Tears pressed against his eyes. "I won't give up until I find her and bring her back."

Suzie sat down, reached over the table, and held his hands. She bit her lip. "I've always loved you I've never stopped loving you. But I...I can't let that get in the way now."

Luke breathed on her hands, then kissed them. "I...I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel. I know my wife's filed for divorce. She blames me for the death of our daughter, Taylor."

Suzie Looked shocked. "You named her Taylor, my maiden name?"

"I...I can't explain it. My wife and I both loved the name. You were always on my mind, even if I tried to bury it."

"I'm not so sure your wife, doesn't love you. I can't get between you. I suspect she's more alone than ever right now. I...I just don't want to lose my baby." She choked back tears. Turned away.

"I'm sorry, Sue. I won't bring us up again. I'm all in to find our daughter. No other thoughts will get in the way." Inside a voice told him that was a lie. There was a war brewing inside.

She turned back toward Luke. "No matter what, I won't ever live again as if you were a memory."

Luke lifted his eyes and studied the kitchen. There were plaques and verses on walls and even a magnet with a verse on the fridge. It reminded him of his father in-law, always giving plaques of scriptures as gifts. Always a quote. Now he sits alone in a home, his mind having left his body years ago.


Suzie looked uncomfortable, as Luke studied the verses around him. She squeezed his hands. "I always thought, if I raised her in Sunday School and kept her close, she'd turn out okay." Her eyes turned red from crying. Luke felt tears press against his eyes.

Suzie squeezed his hands. "Please find our daughter. I've made a mess of things. First, falling for and trusting a man who acted like a father, who abused my daughter. I prayed one day we would meet again, but not like this. You have a detective background and you're her father, the father she deserves to have."

Luke fingered his moustache. "You can't beat yourself up over it. I'm here now."

"This boyfriend of hers. It's like she's under a spell. She blames me for everything. She's punishing me."

Luke stood. "There's no time to waste. I need to get out there, now."

Suzie gave Luke the paper with Chrissie's friends listed. She'd circled one in particular. "This one, Stacy. I'm convinced she knows how to locate her, but she won't talk to me. I think you can get her to talk to you. Maybe pull out a badge or something."

Suzie's phone vibrated on the table, making them both flinch. She grasped for it. "It's Chrissy! I've left voicemails and texts. More than I can count." She answered it. "Chrissy!"

A stranger's voice spoke on the other end. "Ma'am, I found this phone. I just called to tell you."

"Who are you? Do you know my daughter? Where's Chrissy?"






Thanks Moon Willow for the perfect picture to my story.

Cast of characters:

Officer Luke Cole, given a leave of absence over a credible breakdown when his wife served divorce papers.

Suzie: Luke Cole's first love as teenagers, who has a child that he didn't know was his until she turns up missing.

Bugsy: Luke's pet bulldog, who becomes his mascot when playing detective.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by MoonWillow at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. forestport12 All rights reserved.
forestport12 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.