Supernatural Science Fiction posted November 29, 2021 Chapters:  ...90 91 -92- 93... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Evil Entity/Part Two

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. If you catch typos or mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & I hope you enjoy!
In an exclusive Novella set in the world of the Breedline—a secret species of humans who are born with the power to shift into wolves—Shana Congrove tells the story of a young boy, Joseph Parker who—grieving over his mother’s death at the hands of his abusive father—finds his world turned upside down. While his father awaits sentencing, Joseph is placed into the system, going from one foster family to another. And just when things couldn’t get any worse, an evil entity invades his body, introducing itself as the Shadow.

Twenty-one years later, as this mysterious demonic spirit continues to inhabit Joseph’s body, it manipulates his mind, luring him toward something dark and sinister… something that is beyond his control.   
   
Carrie Randall—a substance abuse counselor who is cursed with a boss from hell and unsuccessful at dating—comes face-to-face with death when two men approach her in a dark alley. But before her attackers take things too far, something resembling a werewolf, comes to her rescue in the nick of time. As she tries to process everything—unsure if what she witnessed was real or fantasy—her world suddenly collides with a handsome stranger.  

In of spite of her past relationships, Carrie finds herself spellbound, falling for Joseph Parker—a handsome, yet mysterious journalist who works for a prestigious newspaper in Berkeley, California. But when Carrie discovers the terrifying secret he’s been keeping, she begins to fear for her life.  
 
Now Carrie is forced to make the hardest decision of her life. Will she turn her back on Joseph or stay and help him fight the demon who desires her soul?               
 
Previously…

 
When Carrie ended the phone call, she sat at her desk, staring at her phone with her thoughts tormenting her. Joseph was all she could think about. She was concerned for him. And what was that thing doing to him? Was it hurting him? Was it making him… kill again? And did that thing… that monster… still want to kill her? She felt like she’d deserted Joseph, leaving him all alone to deal with this. Should I call him? After all, his article did make the Chronicle’s front page. No, she thought, quickly changing her mind. I’ll send him a text. At least to say congratulations.            
 
Continued…

Joseph sat at his desk, tired as hell, and couldn’t seem to stop yawning. He stared blankly at his computer screen, trying to keep his mind off Carrie and focused on work. But no matter how hard he tried, she was all he could think about.

Although, he had to admit, he was a little psyched over his promotion. It offered many opportunities for the future, not to mention the raise that came with it. And yet, he couldn’t stop those feelings he had for Carrie. He missed her. It felt like someone had stabbed him square in the heart. But deep down, he knew she was better off without him. And much safer.  

Thank goodness his work kept him busy. His co-workers were all buzzing about the news report this morning on the fire at Adam and Eve Pharmaceuticals. His boss had already called him first thing this morning, giving him a run-down on the story. He’d briefly muddled through the facts, leaving it in Joseph’s hands to get the rest of the scoop. Whatever it took, he had to concentrate on the task ahead. This story would either make or break his career.

After consuming large amounts of caffeine, enough to wake the dead, Joseph was finally able to stop yawning. He couldn’t grasp why he was so tired. Sure, he had a million things on his mind and his workload had him staying after hours, then there was the relenting voice in his head, but all that wasn’t out of the ordinary. He was used to it, and normally, after a few cups of coffee, he was revved up and rarin’ to go. However, it wasn’t the case this morning. He barely managed to get out of bed, which never happened. He even had to skip his early run just to make it to work on time. It was as though he hadn’t slept a wink. And for some odd reason, his body felt like he’d been on one helluva bender.

Pushing the thought aside, he decided to contact his informant, praying he had more details on A&E Pharmaceuticals. As he reached for his phone, it suddenly dinged. His heart nearly went into overdrive when he saw it was a text from Carrie.   


Hi Joseph. I read your article and wanted to say congratulations. I hope it landed you that promotion. You deserve nothing less. 
            

He was so excited, he could barely keep his hands from shaking.

Thank you, Carrie, he immediately texted her back. And yes, I got it. Thanks for asking. Everything OK with you? How’s work?

A moment later, Carrie responded. I’m doing fine. Work has been busy.

What about your boss? Joseph texted back.

I think an alien has taken over her body. She texted a laughing emoji. Can you believe she is having an office party for me this Friday?  
  

Joseph smiled, thinking of her birthday. Then, he texted her, I’m happy for you, Carrie.

After a few seconds, another text came from Carrie. All thanks to you.  
 

Tears suddenly blurred his vision. Not tears of sorrow, he realized, but of joy. He was glad Carrie was finally getting the respect she deserved.

I didn’t do anything, he texted back. I believe it’s just karma’s way of saying you deserve good things. 

Thank you, Joseph. Are you still coming to my party on Saturday?

Startled, he wiped at his eyes, and read her text again, making sure he read it right. With nervous fingers, he quickly texted her, I wouldn’t miss it for the world. But are you sure?

Yes. I would like to see you. We need to talk.

Thanks for inviting me, Carrie. I’ll be there. And I’ll make sure I bring a bottle of your favorite rum.

Captain Morgan?  

Of course. He texted a thumbs up emoji.  

See you on Saturday, Joseph.

I’m looking forward to it, Carrie.

“Admit it,” said the Shadow, his seething voice making the hairs on Joseph’s neck stand on end. “You’re nothing but a pussy, Joseph. That girl still has you wrapped around her little finger.”

Joseph ignored the voice in his head, keeping his eyes forward and his mind on his work.

“I haven’t forgotten about the girl,” said the Shadow. “I still want her, Joseph. And her beating heart.”

“Stay out of my head,” Joseph grumbled low, his hands trembling with rage, trying to stay focused on the job.

“You okay, Parker?”

Joseph flinched at the voice and quickly looked up from his computer. His hard expression eased the second he saw his coworker staring down at him.

“Hey, Stewart,” said Joseph, releasing a sigh. “Uh… I’m fine.” He relaxed back into his chair. “Just a bit frustrated, that’s all.”

Stewart crossed his arms, looking concerned. “What’s got you so flustered?”

“It’s nothing out of the norm.” Joseph waved if off. “You know, deadlines and all.”

“I hear yah,” said Stewart, nodding. “There for a minute and by the look on your face, I thought you were ‘bout to punch a hole through your monitor.” 
 
“A hole through your chest is more like it,” said the Shadow, smacking his lips, further irritating Joseph. “To eat your beating heart.”

Joseph glanced down at his watch, noticing it was still early. “Hey Stewart,” he said, looking back up. “You had breakfast yet?”

“Haven’t had time,” said Stewart. “How ‘bout you?”

“Same here. And I need something to fuel my tank.” Joseph rose from his chair. “Whaddaya say we ditch this place and go get something? It’ll be my treat.”

“Heck yah,” said Stewart, smiling. “I’m game. Wanna give that new café on Montclair Boulevard a try?”

“Sounds like a plan.” Joseph grabbed his keys. “Mildred’s Café,” he said cheerfully, “here we come.” 
 
To be continued...
 
 
 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

Carrie Randall - She is Detective Frank Perkin's niece. She works as a substance abuse counselor in Berkeley, California. She has a love interest in Joseph Parker.

Joseph Parker (a.k.a. Joseph Harris) - He works at the San Francisco Chronicle as a freelance journalist. At age five, an evil entity invaded his body after his father murdered his mother. While his father was sent to prison for his crime, Joseph was placed into several foster families until finally forced into a mental institute after diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychopathic behavior. As time passed and with the evil entity's guidance, Joseph was later released into society.

The Shadow - An evil entity who has possessed Joseph Parker. Its main purpose is to gain access to souls by using its host to kill, consuming human flesh.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.