General Non-Fiction posted November 26, 2021 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 18... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Gruesome origin of a flippant expression

A chapter in the book Idioms Explained

Pity the literal BASKET CASE

by Elizabeth Emerald



Damommy (Yvonne) just posted a clever entry for the Free Versers Club "basket" theme event, in which she addresses the oxymoronic usage of "basket case." The poem vividly conveys the irony of comparing a person who is "unraveling" to a tightly-woven basket. 

I suggested that Yvonne post a chapter to this idiom compilation; she boomeranged the suggestion.

I shall take advantage of this opportunity to "solicit" reviews for 
A Basket Case:
https://www.fanstory.com/displaystory.jsp?id=1042340


Save your stars for Yvonne; I've chipped in just this quickie snippet from the internet.

Behold the gruesome origin of the phrase "basket case." 

Pasted From Google:
The term originated from WWI, indicating a soldier missing both his arms and legs, who needed to be literally carried around in a litter or "basket." Today it indicates a state of helplessness similar to the metaphoric removal of the appendages, most frequently in the context of mental health or aptitude.



 




Casper 2 by suzannethompson2 on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by suzannethompson2 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Multi-Author Book
Add Chapter
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.