Supernatural Science Fiction posted November 22, 2021 Chapters:  ...89 90 -91- 92... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Evil Entity

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. If you catch typos or mistakes, please let me know. Hope you enjoy! Have a safe & happy holiday!
Veronica Hernandez wore the gaudiest polyester, green backless jumpsuit, a pair of black, six-inch Stiletto pumps, enormous gold hoop earrings, and several matching bracelets that noisily clanged together as she approached Carrie’s desk. She looked like she was dressed to go out clubbing, not for the office.

“Good morning, Carrie,” she said, flashing a red stained lipstick smile. “I thought you’d like some coffee, so I stopped by King’s Java.” She extended a covered Styrofoam cup out to Carrie. “With cream and sugar just the way you like it, too.”  
  
“Uh, thanks,” muttered Carrie, accepting her bosses’ bizarre act of kindness. It was as though an alien had taken over her body. She couldn’t wrap her mind around it. Ever since that day Joseph took up for her, putting Miss Hernandez in her place, she’d changed her tune. Aside from all the butt kissing, she’d gotten a big raise, an extra week of vacation, and more compliments than she could count. Whatever voodoo, sorcery, or incantation he’d conjured, she was liking her new and improved boss. Although, Veronica’s outlandish and obnoxious wardrobe could use a little magic. Her taste in clothes, makeup, and hairstyle was atrocious. Just looking at the woman hurt her eyes.

“You didn’t have to go to any trouble,” Carrie went on to say. “The coffee in the breakroom is perfectly fine.”

“Oh, it was no trouble, really.” Veronica waved it off like it was nothing, batting her long, false eyelashes. “Besides, you deserve it. Have I told you lately how much I appreciate all the hard work you do?”

Carrie shrugged. “I, uh—”

“Well, I do,” Veronica bluntly stated. “As a matter of fact, I’d like to give you an early birthday gift.” Her voice rose with excitement. “I know it’s this Saturday, and you probably already have plans, but I’d like to celebrate this Friday with all our co-workers. And you’re perfectly welcome to invite anyone from out of the office as well. It’ll be my way of saying thank you.”

“But—”

Veronica held up a halting hand. “I won’t take no for an answer. Get me a list of who you’d like to attend. I’ll have the party catered here in the office.”

Carrie stood, shaking her head. “I appreciate this, but please, it’s not necessary.”

“Oh no,” said Veronica, her voice taking on a serious tone. “I insist. It’s the least I can do to make up for all my lack of appreciation in the past.”

Not wanting to argue, Carrie finally gave in. “Okay, Veronica,” she said, easing back down in her chair. 

She clapped her hands like a kid on Christmas morning, irritating Carrie with her noisy arm ornaments. “Wonderful! I can’t wait to start planning.” She reached out and patted Carrie’s hand. “Don’t forget about your guest list.”

“Oh, I’d rather keep it work related,” said Carrie. “I’m celebrating with family and friends on Saturday. Oh crap, she thought, biting her bottom lip. Why in the hell did I mention my party to Veronica? Me and my big mouth. 
   

Veronica suddenly looked disappointed, her smile turning upside down. “Okay. If that’s what you prefer. I mean, it’s your party.”

“Thanks Veronica.” Carrie smiled, lifting the Styrofoam cup to her lips. “And thanks for the coffee.”

“Don’t mention it, dear.” She waved her arm, making her cheap imitation gold jewelry jingle. 

Carrie cringed at the sound. She wanted to ask her if the Dollar Store had had a sale, but thought better of it, and kept it to herself.

“If you need anything,” said Veronica, her lips turning back up. “You know where to find me.”   
 
When Veronica finally sauntered off in a nauseating wave of thick perfume and hairspray, Carrie’s phone started vibrating. It made a buzzing sound on her desk. As she peered down, she saw Jessica’s number flashing on the caller ID. Curious to why her best friend was calling, especially since she’d just left their apartment not thirty minutes ago, she decided to answer. “Hey, Jess. What’s up?” 

“Have you seen the news?”

Carrie furrowed her brows. “No, why?”

“You know that pharmaceutical company called Adam and Eve?”

“Yah,” said Carrie, nodding against the phone. “What about it?”

“It burnt to the ground. According to the news media, they discovered a few bodies inside.”

Carrie’s mind went straight to Joseph, remembering that big story he was working on. He’d obviously landed the lead reporter position since the article made the Chronicle’s front page. When she’d read it, she immediately wanted to call and congratulate him, but instead, decided against it. The article had to do with the mysterious death of Dr. Leonard Manos and the Summit Behavioral Institute getting shut down. Joseph had said his informant discovered something about the institute getting paid to do experiments on their patients. Although Joseph didn’t know what kind of experiments they were doing, he suspected A&E Pharmaceuticals was involved.

“Have they identified them yet?” asked Carrie.    

“No. The bodies were too charred to get fingerprints. The medical examiners or other forensic experts will have to go by dental records to identify them.”

“Did they say how the fire started?”

“Nothing yet,” said Jessica. “But they did say something about the Feds. I guess they were investigating the facility.”

“Do you know why they were being investigated?”

“Yah,” Jessica replied. “Something about being linked to the car fire that killed the physician who worked for the institute they shut down not long ago.”

“Are you talking about the Summit Behavioral Institute?”

“Yep, that’s the one. Didn’t you say you knew the doctor who was killed?”

“Yes, I did,” said Carrie. “We counseled some of Dr. Manos' patients. I’m still having a hard time comprehending the notion of him experimenting on his own patients.”

“Sounds like a madman if you ask me,” Jessica remarked. “Social media is calling him Doctor Frankenstein.”    

 “That figures,” said Carrie, rolling her eyes. “If he really did all those things they’re saying, he deserves the name.”

“Changing the subject,” said Jessica. “Have you heard anything more from Joseph?”

“No,” Carrie reluctantly said. “Not since the morning he stopped by the apartment to pick up his Jeep.”

“That news article he did was pretty outstanding. It made front page. I think Joseph is on his way to something big. Yah know, like exposing government officials or uncovering foreign top secrets. Stuff like that.”

“You’re probably right,” said Carrie, thinking something entirely different. Something along the lines of a serial killer.

“Did you call and congratulate him?”

“No,” said Carrie, releasing a sigh. “But I was thinking about it.”

“I think you should call him, Carrie,” said Jessica, believing the couple had split over something silly, but in truth, it had been more than just a lover’s quarrel. Little did she know, Joseph was possessed by some evil entity, but Carrie didn't have the guts to confide in her friend, worried Jessica would think she’d gone mad.

“He really seemed broken up when he stopped by, asking for you,” Jessica continued, obviously trying to persuade her into forgiving Joseph. “Guys can be stupid sometimes. But I believe Joseph genuinely cares about you. Give him another chance, girl.”

“I don’t know. Maybe.”

“I know, I know,” spouted Jessica. “It’s complicated, right?”

Complicated doesn’t even begin to explain, Carrie feverishly thought.

“Sort of,” muttered Carrie, sighing.

“Do you think he’ll show up for your party on Saturday?”  
                              
“I doubt it,” said Carrie.

“Do you still want him to come?”

When Carrie didn’t answer, Jessica said, “Want me to ask him?”

“No. Let him make the decision on his own.”

“Okay,” said Jessica. “But if you change your mind, just say the word. Besides, Ryan was looking forward to hanging out with Joseph.”

“Well, I’ll think about it. So, you and Ryan still getting along?”

“Things seem to be great so far,” said Jessica, a clear smile in her voice.

“I’d say so,” said Carrie, laughing a little. “I never hardly see you anymore. You’re staying over at his place more and more these days. Has he asked you to move in with him yet?”

“He’s hinted around a few times, but I’m not ready. Not yet anyway. Plus, what would you do without me?”

“Ryan just lives in the apartment upstairs from ours, silly,” said Carrie. “But yah, I’d miss having you around, especially our movie nights with a glass of wine.” 

“Really, Carrie?” Jessica chuckled. “You mean a whole bottle of wine. Or two,” she added.

“So, you never told me,” Carrie began, ignoring Jessica’s cheeky remark. “Did you ever find out Ryan’s big secret? I remember you saying you sensed he was keeping something from you.”

“No,” Jessica said. “I figure he’ll tell me when he’s ready. There’s no point in rushing things, right? I mean, it’s not like we’re engaged or anything. And I don’t think it’s anything serious like he’s a criminal or secretly an undercover spy.”

“I guess you’re right. Oh, by the way. Seconds before you called, my boss decided to throw me a party here at the office this Friday. And she’s having it catered.”

“Good lord,” groaned Jessica. “I can’t believe that cow is still kissing your ass. Make her work for it, girl. You’re not expecting me to go, are you?”

Carrie laughed again. “No. I’m strictly keeping the invitation list for coworkers only. Although, Veronica did say I could invite anyone. But inviting my family and friends would make me feel uncomfortable, not to mention everyone else.”

“Thanks,” said Jessica, sounding relieved. “The thought of being around that woman makes my blood pressure rise. I’ll never forget the way she treated you, Carrie.”

“No worries. Well, I better get off here. I’ll talk to you later. That is, if you ever take a break from Ryan.”

“Don’t get your panties in a bunch. I’ll be home tonight. Ryan has a double shift at the hospital. Later, girl.”

When Carrie ended the call, she sat at her desk, staring at her phone with her thoughts tormenting her. Joseph was all she could think about. She was concerned for him. And what was that thing doing to him? Was it hurting him? Was it making him… kill again? And did that thing… that monster… still want to kill her? She felt like she’d deserted Joseph, leaving him all alone to deal with this. Should I call him? After all, his article did make the Chronicle’s front page. No, she thought, quickly changing her mind. I’ll send him a text. At least to say congratulations.   
 

To be continued. . .        




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

Carrie Randall - She is Detective Frank Perkin's niece. She works as a substance abuse counselor in Berkeley, California. She has a love interest in Joseph Parker.

Joseph Parker (a.k.a. Joseph Harris) - He works at the San Francisco Chronicle as a freelance journalist. At age five, an evil entity invaded his body after his father murdered his mother. While his father was sent to prison for his crime, Joseph was placed into several foster families until finally forced into a mental institute after diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychopathic behavior. As time passed and with the evil entity's guidance, Joseph was later released into society.

The Shadow - An evil entity who has possessed Joseph Parker. Its main purpose is to gain access to souls by using its host to kill, consuming human flesh.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.