Western Fiction posted November 19, 2021 Chapters: 1 -1- 2 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A man finds trouble on a trip to Carson City Nevada

A chapter in the book The Lincoln Project

Carson River Station

by Mr. Green



Background
Phenious Wells is given an assignment to travel to Carson City NV., and help solve the mysterious disappearance of a banker in Virginia City, but first he must meet someone in Carson City who has impo


It was getting dark out on the Nevada desert. The sun was low, and the horizon was a mixture of reds and yellows. I knew very well how the dry heat of the day could bake the ground and dry up the land.

I remembered getting shot and left to die out in this god forsaking place. When the night came, the chill of the wind could put goosebumps clear down to your bones.

There is one thing a person must learn, when traveling in this part of the country. Day or night, there are always predators.

Some of them are natures inhabitants, they will kill out of an instinct to survive, or to protect what is theirs, while others will kill you for food. But that is just the natural way of things.

I learned a long time ago, that it is the two-legged predator who is the most dangerous of all. This one will kill out of ego or vanity, or purely for profit.

The stage was making a wide turn on the trail when I heard the first shots. I had fought in the civil war when I was a young boy, I have heard those sounds many times since then.

I could only guess, but I estimated the gunshots were about a mile down the trail, and we were heading in that direction.

The man riding shotgun hollered down at us. "You folks alright?"

I glanced around at the other three passengers, then I leaned toward the opening and called back to the man above.

"Yeah, were ok, but what's going on out there? Any sign of trouble coming our way.

"No! but those shots sounded like they were coming from the Carson River Station, and that's where we're heading.

We have about sixty miles to go before we reach Carson City. The Carson River Station is where we planned on getting a hot meal and resting the horses for a time."

"What's your plans now?"

"My friend, that kinda' depends on what we find up ahead.

We're gonna slow the horses down. Sam and I are talking about holding up along the hillside up ahead, until we get a feel for the place."

"We don't want to put nun-a-you good people in harm's way. Once we get the stage stopped, I can ride ahead. Check things out.

"...tell Sam, a couple of these passengers are pretty shook-up. I think they were fearful of a hold-up. The sooner we stop, the better."

"Try to calm them down if you can. It's gonna be a few more minutes."

A young man and woman sat across from me, there was an older gentleman sitting beside me, on my left. When he heard the shots, I saw him instinctively check the location of his wallet.
If this had been a holdup his body language would have told everyone that he was carrying enough money in that wallet to make him nervous.

He struck me as an easterner coming out west for the first time.

The couple across from me, there was something about their behavior as well. I just hadn't figured them out yet.

It was about six minutes later when the stage came to a halt. The driver did the best he could to conceal our location, then the man with the shot gun got down from the stage.

I made sure everyone exited the coach safely, while the man with the shot gun watched the trail up ahead.

The old gentleman immediately headed for the shadows to relieve himself. I was guessing, by that awkward walk of his, and the way he was fidgeting at his pants.

He looked like a sober drunk, I don't think he could have held it much longer.

The young couple stayed together, I watched as he tried to reassure her that things would be okay. That couple was hiding something, and my brain wasn't going to let it go, until I figured it out.

The driver got down and began to take one of the horses out of the harness.

"You need some help with that, Sam" I called out.

"No, I done this enough times, young feller. You and Jake there, you just watch the trail for any trouble.

We won't have much time to prepare for it if it comes our way."

I turned to Jake, "How long that old man been doing this."

"Sam! The first time I saw him climb up on a stagecoach, I was about sixteen years old. He's as tough as they come."

"Are you really going to ride down to that station alone?"

"That's what I get paid for. Sam can handle things here."

We could see the lamps were lit inside the building, but I could see that one window was left in darkness. I was about to tell Jake when we heard two more shots.

Jake turned and called to Sam. "You got that horse ready yet, Sam?"

"I heard the shots, Jake. I'm almost done, just one more minute."

Jake turned to me, "That blacked out window?"

"What about it?"

"That was a sign that there is danger if we ride into the station. I have to get down there."

Jake walked away and headed to meet Sam who was walking in our direction with a horse and bridle.

Sam watched as Jake began to ride off into the darkness alone.

"Mister, that's my partner out there, and I can't go with him." He stood there, looking towards the Station.

I could hear him whisper under his breath. "Damn fool better not get killed."

"Sam," I said before he could walk away, "He doesn't have to do this alone."

He looked at me in silence, anticipating what I might say next.

"Sam, unhitch another horse. I'll ride down there and back Jake up."

If ever I saw anyone more expressive. The old man thanked me with his eyes and headed back to get me a horse.

Until I could get closer, I had to trust the horse knew his way, while I listened for any sound of trouble lurking in the darkness.

I got to where I could see in the dim light and tied the reins to an old dried out tree stump, then I began making my way closer to the building.

Jake didn't know I was there, and I was hoping he wouldn't shoot me before I had a chance to identify myself.

My attention was drawn to a faint voice from inside the building. I worked my way closer, then I stopped and listened.

_______________________________________________

"Tom, are you sure that stagecoach is carrying gold?"

"Look, I was informed that this stage was coming into Carson City with $5000.00 in cold coins and paper currency, and I plan on taking it."

"Now you stay hidden and wait for the stage. That station master told us all we had to do was to leave one window blacked out and that was the signal that all was clear."

"Yes! But are you sure he was telling us the truth?"

"I killed his wife and told him his son was next, didn't I.

He was too scared to tell us anything but the truth. He knew I would kill his son. So, yes, he is not going to risk his son's life."

"Where is Silas? Tom."

"He's out watching the perimeter, waiting for the stage to come in. and that's where you should be."

_________________________________________________

If someone was on the perimeter watching. I suddenly realized that I was too exposed to stay where I was at.

I started to back around the corner of the building when I felt a chill run down my spine, and the cold barrel of a revolver touch the back of my neck.

Then someone pulled back on the hammer.




I am considering a new book and this will be just a few short chapters to introduce the main character and to see how he is received or how I can mold him into a more complete person. I want to have fun with this story, so I will make adjustments along the way. I hope you enjoy these chapters.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mr. Green All rights reserved.
Mr. Green has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.