General Fiction posted November 16, 2021 Chapters: Prologue -1- 2... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Idioms for the book

A chapter in the book Idioms Explained

Cockney Rhyming Idioms

by Dolly'sPoems


In response to Helen's amazing post about idioms, these are few Cockney rhyming Idioms that always make me smile and are still used by some London market traders.


Apples and pears (stairs)
This rhyme is about steps and stairs and describes the gradation of a market stall full of fruit and vegetables to show the fruit to its best advantage to attract customers.

Bees and Honey (Money)
As bees are hard working, work produces money which is sweet.

Box of Toys (Noise)
Traditionally kids Christmas toys are very noisy and can be annoying too.

Bottle and stopper (Copper)
A copper here in England is a Policeman. These words infer the bottle meaning something enclosed and the stopper meaning to (hold back).

Coals and coke (broke)
Both coal and coke are two blocks that need to be broken down before use and nowadays it means a person is broke (lacks money) or (broken hearted).

Collar and cuff (puff)
The word Puff might be thought of offensive towards a homosexual man but this rhyming slang is referring to an effeminate man as a (powder puff).

Cut and Carried (married)
This refers to a woman who has cuff off her parental support and is now being carried (provided for) by her husband.

Fisherman's daughter (water)
As the water is part of the fisherman's landscape, all he sees is water!

Lump of ice (advice)
Sometimes advice can be a wake up call and be cold comfort to us. Ice cold reality.

Oily rag (a fag)
A fag in the English language means a cigarette and here it is referring to its soiled state when smokers are employed in a mucky profession such as a motor mechanic.

Penny-come-quick (a trick)
A trick of confidence which if successful will make easy money.   (A confidence trick).

Weep and wail (a tale)
Used exclusively in reference to a beggar's tale. 

On the floor (poor)
Used for temporarily penniless housewives.

Once a week (beak)
A beak is the term for a Magistrate. People who have had too much to drink and became unruly and are arrested and then see the (beak) once a week due to excessive partying on a Saturday night.

Pimple and blotch (Scotch)
Evidently indulgence in long term alcohol bouts can have a blotchy effect on the skin.

Rank and riches (breeches)
This refers to riding breeches that were worn in the 19th century by those who were wealthy or titled.



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Multi-Author Book
Add Chapter
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dolly'sPoems All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Dolly'sPoems has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.