Supernatural Science Fiction posted November 15, 2021 Chapters:  ...88 89 -90- 91... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

Vampire Venom/Pt. 2

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. If you catch typos or mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & I hope you enjoy!

As Manuel cut the engine, unbuckled his seatbelt, and reached for the door to exit his vehicle, he prayed Dr. Katie Mendoza had more information on this mysterious Joseph Harris.
 
He stood outside his vehicle, trying to relax despite his nerves. He exhaled a deep breath and surveyed the parking lot. It was early, but there were a few other cars, and aside from a silver Mercedes-Benz and the shiny red Porsche, there were a couple of older models, making his Ford Taurus seem so less economical. Besides, on a detective’s salary, luxury cars were not in his budget.  
    
The moment he pushed his way into the Jones Therapy Clinic, his expression went from weary to surprised. Unexpectedly, the place seemed quiet and rather normal. Not what he’d imagined it would be. He stood in the entry, searching over the waiting area. The interior design was pleasant, and the neutral, off-white walls gave off a calming effect. There were several comfortable-looking plaid cushioned chairs, a magazine rack, a few small tables decorated with floral arrangements, and a flat-screen TV mounted on the wall. A grey-haired couple sitting across the room, apparently waiting to see a therapist, appeared content watching an episode of The Andy Griffith Show in black and white. And somewhere nearby, the distinct scent of coffee brewing invaded his senses. The rich and soothing aroma instantly spiked his taste buds.

For some strange reason, he’d thought the inside would be noisy, and lunatic-like, seeing that it was a facility where you went for mental health treatment. Images of people, dressed in their pajamas, sitting at tables putting together puzzle pieces came to mind. But then it suddenly dawned on him. He’d been thinking of an institution for the mentally ill. This was a therapeutic clinic, not an insane asylum. No white padded cells here, Manuel thought as he approached the receptionist’s desk.

“May I help you, Sir?” asked a thin-faced man, sporting a black bow tie with lime green polka dots.  

“I’m Detective Sanchez,” said Manuel. “I have an appointment to speak with Dr. Mendoza.”

“Ah, yes,” said the receptionist. “Please, have a seat, Detective. I’ll let her know you’re here. Help yourself to a cup of coffee,” he added, gesturing to a table across the room. “I just made a fresh pot.”

Manuel dipped his head. “Thank you.”     
                                                       
It wasn’t long after he topped off his second coffee and tossed the little Styrofoam cup into the trash when a young nurse, who had to be at least six foot, if not taller, and platinum-blonde hair that was neatly arranged into a bun, appeared. “Detective Sanchez, Dr. Mendoza will see you now,” she said, smiling perfectly white teeth. 

He smiled back at the blonde Amazonian and preceded to follow her down a long hallway. When they came to a door at the end, she knocked once and peered inside. “Dr. Mendoza, Detective Sanchez is here to see you.”

“Thank you, Nurse Flinn,” a soft voice called from inside the room. “Please escort the Detective into my office.”

When Nurse Flinn pushed the door wider, Manuel instantaneously recognized the woman standing next to a desk. She had long, dark braids and a welcoming smile on her lovely, dark complected face. As soon as the nurse left, Manuel stepped inside with his hand outstretched.

“Hello, Detective Sanchez,” said Dr. Mendoza, grasping his hand. “It’s so nice to see you. I was so surprised to hear from you when you called. It’s been a few years.”

“It’s nice to see you too, Doctor Mendoza,” he said. “And yes, it’s been a while since we last spoke.”    
      
“Oh, please.” Her smile broadened. “Call me Katie.”

“I’ll make you a deal,” he said, releasing her hand. “I’ll call you Katie as long as you call me by my given name.”

“Deal.” She chuckled, guiding him to an oversized chair. “Please, make yourself comfortable, Manuel.”

As he settled in the chair, she took a seat in the one directly across from his and said, “So how have you been, Manuel?” She looked at him quizzically. “Married or children?”

He shook his head. “Neither.”

Her expression was one of disbelief. “You’ve never married?”

“Just to the job,” he said mockingly. “How ‘bout you? You and Oscar still together?”

She nodded. “We just celebrated our twenty-first anniversary.”

“That’s good to hear,” said Manuel, grinning. “I always liked Oscar. And if I recall, the guy has one helluva right hook.” 

“Well, I guess you could say he had one hell of a right hook.” She laughed a little. “He gave up boxing five years ago. Nowadays, his sport is hiking. And I’m glad. It’s a lot safer and fewer trips to the dentist.”

Manuel chuckled. “Yah, you’re probably right. Hell, I should know. Missing a few teeth, myself.” He smoothed his tongue over the empty space, where he'd lost a back tooth in a boxing match years ago. “So, you two have kids?”

“We have a son, Hector. He’s eleven now.”

“That’s great, Katie. And I have to say, you seem to be doing quite well for yourself. A rewarding career, and a family. I envy you.”

“Thank you, Manuel,” she said, her eyes beaming with pride. “How’s Frank and his wife, Missy doing? That is, last time I was on the force, you two were partners. Things are still the same, am I right?”

He went silent for a minute, thinking about Frank. Suddenly, an image of his partner flashed inside his head. He had his hand pressed against his throat. Blood was gushing between his fingers. He’d never forget the look of despair on the poor guy’s face.
 
“Manuel?” said Katie, her eyes roaming over Manuel’s blank stare. “Is something wrong? Did something happen to Frank?”

Her concerned voice snapped him back to focus. “Oh no,” he snorted, waving it off like it was nothing. “He’s doing fine. Still married to Missy and yes, we’re still partners.”  

“Thank goodness.” She released a sigh. “Going by the expression on your face, it worried me. When I asked you about Frank, you went pale as a ghost. Are you sure everything is all right, Manuel?” 

“Don’t worry, Katie. Frank is perfectly fine,” he said, trying to sound reassuring. “And so is Missy. It’s just…” He paused, shaking his head. “This case we’re working on. It’s got us completely baffled. That’s one of the reasons why I’m here.”

“Oh?” she slightly tilted her head. “How can I be any help?”

“I know it’s been over twenty years, but do you remember that Harris case you worked? The one with the five-year-old boy who shot his father, trying to protect his mother,” he went on to explain. “It was right before you left the force.” 

“Yes,” she replied, her shoulders tensing. “How could I ever forget that one. That case was the reason why I went back to school to get my degree in psychology. Why do you ask?”

“The little boy, Joseph,” Manuel began. “After his mother died and his father was carted off to prison for her murder, do you know what happened to the kid?”

She thought about it, recalling that tragic day, wishing she had the power to change it, then finally said, “Since there was no other family member to care for Joseph, he was placed in foster care.”

“Did you know the boy was later institutionalized?” he asked, looking at her with an inquisitive stare.

“Yes, I did, but…” She shifted uneasily in her chair. “What exactly are you asking, Manuel?”

“Frank and I believe this same kid, of course all grown up now and living in society, may have something to do with a recent murder. The problem is, we can’t seem to find the guy. I’m sure you’ve heard about the institution Joseph was sent off to. My partner and I were the ones responsible for getting the facility shut down. Unfortunately, before we had a chance to question the head physician, he was murdered.”

“Yes,” she said, swallowing hard. “I was shocked when I found out. Those poor people. I just couldn’t believe Dr. Leonard Manos was capable of doing such horrendous things to his patients.”

“So, you knew the physician?” 

She solemnly nodded. “He was one of the leading psychiatrists in the nation. We treat some of his patients.”

“We got into the institutions’ files, but for some strange reason, we didn’t find a single thing on Joseph Harris. It’s as though he was never a patient there. No files, nothing.”

“Manuel…” She hesitantly said, her voice taking on a serious tone, “Joseph is now my patient. His files are here. Although I probably shouldn’t be telling you this, but since I trust you’ll keep this confidential, he no longer goes by the name Harris. He’s taken his mother’s maiden name. It’s Parker now.”

His eyes rounded. “You’ve got to be kidding me.”

She shook her head. “Since he’s my patient, that’s all the information I’m allowed to give you.”

When his expression turned frustrated, she said, “I’m sorry, Manuel. But you, more than anyone, should know that I cannot divulge my patient’s private records. I would be violating my doctor-patient confidentiality.”
    
“You can if you believe your patient is a danger to himself or others,” Manuel stated firmly.

Katie stared at him nervously, thinking about the unexplainable third voice on one of her and Joseph’s recorded sessions. Then, she looked down at her hands, remembering what it had said. Kill her, Joseph.

“Katie…” said Manuel, his voice bringing her head up, “Is there any reason for you to believe Joseph could be potentially dangerous in any way?” 
 
“I just can’t believe he would hurt anyone,” she wearily said. “I don’t deny Joseph has suffered a traumatic event. I mean… my god.” She gasped. “Can you imagine what all he went through as a child? Seeing his mother, who he dearly loved, being beat to death. And at the hands of his own father. But now, he’s overcome so much. He’s really made such remarkable progress.”

Manuel leaned forward and placed his hand over hers. “I can tell you care a great deal for Joseph. Hell, I don’t blame you. If I’d been the first officer to respond on that unfortunate day, there’s no way I’d ever forget it or Joseph. It just proves what kind of therapist you are, Katie.” He smiled, removing his hand. “You’re a good person with a heart the size of Texas.”

She smiled at his comment and said, “Manuel, do you believe in divine intervention?”

“You mean as in God and miracles?”

When she nodded, he said, “Yes, Katie. I believe God works in mysterious ways. We may not know why God does what he does, but deep down in my gut, I truly believe there are reasons for why things happen the way they do. Believe me, I’ve seen my share of mysterious things in my time.”

“Me too,” she said. “I may not understand why, but I don’t think me ending up as Joseph’s therapist after all these years is just a coincidence. I believe God brought me back in Joseph’s life for a reason. Just like he sent me to him twenty-one years ago.”

“You may be on to something, there,” he said, leaning forward again. “Katie, can I tell you something confidential?”

“Of course. Anything you say goes no further than my ears. Consider it the same as doctor-patient confidentiality.” 

“Yah, but you’re not my physician,” he said lightly.

“Oh, Manuel. You know you can trust me. Now spill it.”

“I trust you, Katie. But what I’m about to say is a bit bizarre. I’m afraid you might want to institutionalize me after I tell you.”

She smirked. “Nothing you say will make me think you’re crazy. A workaholic maybe, and a little hot-headed as I recall, but not crazy.”

“Okay, but remember I warned you.” Here goes nothing, he thought. “Frank and I know this guy,” he continued. “He’s a good friend and we both know the guy’s not a whack job. This particular friend of ours said he grew up in Joseph’s neighborhood.”

“So, you’re saying this friend of yours,” she paused and did finger quotations, “knew Joseph when he was a kid, right?”

“Yah, and he told us about a strange incident that happened after Joseph was institutionalized. His family, concerned for Joseph’s welfare, went to visit him in the institution to see if there was anything they could do to help. When his parents went off to speak with one of the physicians, my friend was left alone with Joseph. He said Joseph attacked him and it took the strength of three guards to pry Joseph off him.”

“Oh my gosh,” said Katie. “I had no idea this had happened. According to Dr. Manos, Joseph had no violent tendencies. His personality traits were identified as shy, timid, and scared. Of course, he’d been diagnosed with a mental illness, but there was nothing mentioned of anger or violent behavior in his files.”

“There’s more,” said Manuel. “It’s enough to concern me. Not only for the safety of others, but for yours, Katie.”

“My safety?” Her voice cracked. “But why?”

“My friend described Joseph as if he’d been possessed by something evil. He said his eyes even changed color. They were as black as a crow’s.”

“When that happened, did Joseph say anything to your friend?”

“Yes,” Manuel replied. “He referred to himself, or whatever the hell it was, as the Shadow.”
 
“The Shadow?”

“Not long after we discovered all this,” said Manuel. “Frank and I did some digging. This thing that calls itself the Shadow is said to be a dark entity. Kind of like a demon. Evidently, it preys on the innocence of young children. It manipulates their minds and influences them to do things they wouldn’t normally do. Think of this thing as a marionette and the child as a puppet on strings.”

“You mean, it hypnotizes them?”

“Yah, I believe something to that nature.”

“What does it want?” she hesitantly asked.

“Human souls.”

“Manuel…” She momentarily paused, thinking again about the strange voice on the recording, “There’s something I think I should tell you. Or better yet, show you. And this too, must never leave this room.”

To be continued. . .
                   
       
                  
        
      
           
 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

Joseph Parker (a.k.a. Joseph Harris) - He works at the San Francisco Chronicle as a freelance journalist. At age five, an evil entity invaded his body after his father murdered his mother. While his father was sent to prison for his crime, Joseph was placed into several foster families until finally forced into a mental institute after diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychopathic behavior. As time passed and with the evil entity's guidance, Joseph was later released into society.

The Shadow - An evil entity who has possessed Joseph Parker. Its main purpose is to gain access to souls by using its host to kill, consuming human flesh.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.