Romance Fiction posted November 4, 2021 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
One day with new friends

A chapter in the book DARK NIGHT AND DARK DAY

Dark Night & Day, Chapter 2

by Alaskastory




Background
Marjorie arrives in Alaska in January to escape an ex-fiance and to begin a new medical job. She meets an unusual handsome man.
Marjorie pushed away from haunting thoughts of her ex-boyfriend's torturing words. Determined, she looked about her new apartment that was far from newly constructed. She knew both parents would expect a much larger and even plush apartment. Big boxes shipped weeks ago were stacked before her. From one box she managed to get bedding out to neatly adorn her simple double bed. Then she tugged suitcases into the bedroom and started unpacking.

Plugging in her alarm clock it showed the hour was past six. Hunger hit her. With kitchen cupboards and the refrigerator totally empty, Marjorie instantly recalled seeing a sign as the cab turned off College Road and thought it perhaps was a restaurant.

She decked herself out in a warm sweater, pants, wool scarf, coat and hiking boots. A temperature sign on a nearby building read, "minus twenty-two degrees". It was a brisk walk for over a couple of blocks. Getting across the highway, she noticed a fully filled parking lot before a sign marking it as Geraldo's.

Just in the front door, a Frank Sinatra sound came beyond walls slightly decorated as Italy. The music made her mind wander to trips she had made in Europe. Marjorie pulled a frost-covered scarf off her long hair. A cheerful waitress welcomed her, then escorted her toward a counter set for singletons. As they passed filled tables, a familiar voice boomed out.

"Hi there, Marj. Have a seat with us." It was the voice she heard in the taxi. It was Roger. He sat with a smiling couple.

The waitress assumed Marjorie would accept. She plopped down silverware and napkin on the table and pulled out a chair for her.

In a jovial way, Roger introduced her to Julie and Leo Granger. He spoke in a tone likely to make them think Marjorie was a longtime friend. Feeling stunned, she managed to return a smile and drape her coat over the chair before sitting.

"Both Julie and Leo have sights you'll love to see. With the artist, Julie, it's sculptures in ice. Leo is a dog musher and has lots of dogs." Roger gave a buddy slap to his friend's shoulder. "Tell her how many, Leo."

Leo was a heavily bearded man who showed strength in his shoulders and a loud voice that seemed to come from an uprisen chest. "Including all the puppies, that makes forty-two dogs. Every one of them is a damn good runner."

Julie was beside her and gave a friendly flare that immediately attracted Marjorie. A warm hand squeezed on hers as she spoke. "I hope you can make it to our place soon to see adorable new puppies."

"I'd love to see them. Never have had a dog of my own," Marjorie managed to say.

"Julie is fantastic at ice carving. True artist." Roger leaned across the table with his full gaze on Marjorie. "At last year's show she created a princess atop a full-size horse raising high on hind legs."

Julie blushed at his comments. "We're working to get all the statues started. It will be two weeks before the Ice Alaska show begins. I'm so glad you're volunteering to help, Roger."

Marjorie was taken aback and again stared at him. "You are a sculptor, too?"

"No way. They need help getting massive twelve-foot blocks of ice onto the fairgrounds. Great show. Real sculpturers fly here from places around the globe."

The waitress appeared with an order book and pen in hand. "Your order, Mam?"

Julie quickly pointed in the menu. "Marj, I've ordered their homemade raviolis. My favorite."

Marjorie agreed to the friendly suggestion and became aware of a relaxed feeling. Here she was about three thousand miles from home, sitting with strangers who seem to accept her as a friend. This couple didn't know she had met Roger only a few hours before and that was only in a cab.

Roger filled everyone's glass with wine and their conversations, mostly on dog races and ice sculptures, continued. Marjorie finished a second glass of wine, then fought back a yawn.

Gazing at her, Roger interrupted Leo's detailed talk about his dog team. "Been a long day after your flight got you here from California. Want to take a second ride with me? Got my pickup warming up now."

"I walked here. I can manage to get back..."

"Yeah, only minus twenty a couple hours ago." Roger held up the image on his watch. "Temp down to minus thirty now."

Julie, with a merry expression, handed her cell to Marjorie. "Give me your number before Roger takes you home. On Saturday I could show you some ice works."

Marjorie entered numbers with very pleased feelings for this new friend, but then felt frustrated as Roger held up her coat.

Leo and Julie walked out the restaurant with them and bid goodbye as they boarded a van lined with windows for dogs. Roger's shiny black pickup had obviously been running. Of course, it was a short warm drive to her apartment.

"Roger, thanks for the ride. A rescue from freezing." Marjorie hesitated to open her door, feeling anxious to adjust her relationship with him.

"I enjoy your company, Miss Marjorie Lange." Back came his attracting expression that again grasped her. His eyes in dark night glowed under reflecting lights.

Marjorie leaned away as she cleared her voice. "I want you to know I very much appreciate all you've done for me. On my first day here, you caught me when I slipped on ice, got my luggage in the door, and even introduced me to Julie and Leo, who are delightful to meet."

"It's my pleasure and my hope to see you again soon."

"Oh, what I need to tell you...."

"Going to tell me another guy has a hold on you?"

"No one does. No longer anyway. For now, I'm not dating anyone. Not during the year I'm living here."

"No dates for a whole year?" His raised brow seemed more covered with amusement than disappointment. "Well, I'll go along with that. But Marj, could we still be friends?" He held out a hand to her.

She extended her gloved hand, then twisted herself out the truck door.




CHARACTER LIST

Marjorie Lange is a doctor with Native Corp, came to AK to avoid ex-boyfriend

Roger Hendricks is an engineer at oil pipeline job, helps with ice sculptures

James Lange is a brother to Marjorie and in Airforce at Ft. Greeley

Leo Granger is a dogsled racer and keeper of 40 dogs

Julie Granger is an Ice sculpture artist
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by supergold at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Alaskastory All rights reserved.
Alaskastory has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.