Romance Fiction posted October 26, 2021 Chapters: -1- 2... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Chapter 1

A chapter in the book DARK NIGHT AND DARK DAY

Dark Night & Day

by Alaskastory




Background
Chapter 1: Marjorie arrives in Alaska in January to escape an ex-fiancé and to begin a new medical job. She meets an unusual handsome man.
Marjorie Lange pulled both her suitcases up to a cab. A driver energetically loaded her bag, then pulled open a passenger door and greeted her in a serious business way.

"Where to, young lady?"

"Wedgewood Apartments, number 230, off College Road...."

"Hank, can I split a ride?" An interruption boomed from a tall, whiskered man in a knitted hat and athletic jacket.

"Sure, we got room. Good to see you, Roger." The driver reached out to shake hands. "You're back from the Slope?"

"Got time off." He nodded while slinging an overnight bag onto the front seat. Then he crawled into the backseat. As he hooked on a seatbelt, his shining blue eyes swept over an attractive woman with long strands of silky hair surrounding a very pretty face. "Wow, what made a fine-looking lady fly here in January? Nothing for you to see in mid-winter. Mostly dark all day and night."

Marjorie nervously tugged on her heavy coat, pushing it over stylish, knee-high leather boots. "There's plenty of snow to see." Puffs of white breath rose above her long, wooly neck scarf.

The driver turned from behind the wheel. "No delay, Mam. I'll drop you off first."

"Yeh, snow," the passenger said as he leaned her way. "Anything else interest you?"

Glancing at the over friendly stranger made her feel slightly tense. She turned away to focus on the street. "I notice many changes along this road, but I see the Fred Meyer store is still here."

"So, you've been in Fairbanks before?"

"Near here. Lived four years at Eielson Airforce Base until I was thirteen."

"So, you are from a military family. Where did you live after that?"

"My father's next assignment took us to Texas, then to Afghanistan. We ended up in California. That's where I eventually mastered a medical degree."

Mention of that accomplishment managed to quiet Roger while they sped through light traffic. The cab turned into a setting with winding access before rows of apartment buildings.

"This looks like your place, building 230," the driver called out as he braked to a stop.

Roger jumped out and rushed to open her car door. "Looks like apartments go up three flights."

"Mine is on the third floor."

She stepped out onto a walkway lined with ice and snow. Roger's strong arm caught her slippery step.

"Oh!" she yelped.

"Fancy looking boots won't work in Alaska. Not in the winter." Roger held onto her tightly. "Hey, Hank, you take a break while I help her get those bags inside."

"Go at it, Rog," said the grinning cab driver.

Roger released her at a railing along the entrance. There she punched in a lock code given by the manager and opened the door. He followed her into the lobby with both her large suitcases.

"Oh, thank you so much...ah, Roger. The driver calls you Roger." She looked directly up to a strong and handsome face standing tall before her.

"Roger Henricks. And your name?"

"I'm Dr. Marjorie Lange."

"A new doctor here." His blue eyes widened more. "Here to stay?"

"I'm in a one-year project. I heard you say you came from a slope. That means you were on a hike or a ski trip?"

"No." He grinned. "I work about five-hundred miles north. By the oil pipeline at Prudhoe Bay."

Marjorie turned toward the elevator. "Again, thank you for not letting me fall, and for help with luggage."

"I can get the up to the third floor."

"Not necessary, the cases roll on wheels." The elevator door opened. "I can manage." She hurriedly tugged the suitcases in.

"Bye, Marj," he called as the elevator door closed.

She wheeled the heavy cases down a hallway until one caught at the apartment entry. As she gave a hard tug, tall, muscular Roger swept through her mind. She nodded her head in disbelief and mumbled, "How could he come in my thoughts when I've come here to escape any man."

Marjorie heaved a sigh and noticed a light flickered on the home phone. She nestled in her coat on a firm sofa and pressed the message key. Her brother's voice called through.

"Hey, Marj. Call the minute you get in!" Her blue-green eyes swelled up and tears trickled down her cheeks. She dialed.

Her brother answered officially. "Lieutenant James Lange."

"Hello, Jimmy. I made it here. Thanks to you."

"I figured a few thousand miles from Henry would change things for you. Working beside your ex in the same hospital was way too much. Glad to get back to Alaska?"

"No, not really. It's a dark and cold in a late afternoon." She looked around the simple living room and adjacent kitchen.

"Oh, yeah. Wish I could have met you. But in a couple weeks I get time for a hundred-mile drive from Ft. Greeley. Sis, I hope you keep really busy until then."

"I see improvement needed in this place before my first Monday at the clinic. Also, I'll get a car rented. Don't worry about me."

"I'm proud of you, Marj. Glad you jumped on a plane." Her brother chuckled as they bid goodbye.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by avmurray at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Alaskastory All rights reserved.
Alaskastory has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.