General Poetry posted October 20, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Haibun for Raffaelina

The Gift of Life

by Sally Law

Life is a gift, a marvelous, crazy, upside down madhouse at times, but a gift, nonetheless.

I remembered a visit to an ailing family in my church. The husband had had a series of heart attacks; his wife was insulin dependent, and had lost the use of her legs. He shared his story as I sat in the family's kitchen--

"It takes a lot of energy to get my weary bones out of bed every morning, but God's love compels me. After I stagger back from the toilet, it's time to get my bride ready for the day. (Mind you, she's seventy-six with multiple health issues.) I bathe and feed her, pinch those sweet plum cheeks, then administer her shots. In the afternoon, we're typically exhausted, so we'll take a long nap. Between four and five o'clock, I'll prepare supper, something simple in the electric frypan, while she reads to me from the newspaper in her animated way. On weekdays, we'll watch Jeopardy, holding hands on the couch. Am I blessed, or what?"

"Yes, you are," I replied, with new eyes of appreciation. "Tonight's on me. Enjoy the casserole."

As I left the humble home, I realized I had just seen God, and what a spectacular view I had been given.

when shadows fall
and sickness comes calling...
remember, God holds you.





Poem of the Month contest entry

Recognized

#12
October
2021




Ralf, I know how much you like Denzel Washington. I hope this fills you with encouragement.


Photo: https://pixabay.com/photos/roses-bunch-bouquet-flower-floral-828564/@pixabay.com

Please join with me, dear fans, in prayer for Raffaelina Lowcock. She is very sick and needs our love, care, prayers and support. Send her a private message if you can. Blessings to you all.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sally Law All rights reserved.
Sally Law has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.