Supernatural Science Fiction posted October 18, 2021 Chapters:  ...84 85 -86- 87... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

The Biters/Part Four

by scongrove


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. If you catch typos or mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & I hope you enjoy!
Tension began to seep into Manuel’s body as he glanced down at his watch. Dammit, he cursed to himself. Nearly an hour had passed since Tim and the others went after those Biters. Now he was beginning to worry.

“You can’t make time go any faster by looking at it,” said Frank.

Manuel looked up. “What?”

“That’s the fifth time you’ve checked your watch, partner.”

Manuel sighed. “You’d think they’d be back by now.”

“Don’t worry.” Frank smiled a little. “They’re more than capable of taking care of themselves. Besides, they’ve got Jace with them. And I don’t think there’s a creature out there that can go toe-to-toe with his Beast. I mean…” His eyes rounded. “The guy shifts into a seven-foot creature that’s a cross between a Yeti and a werewolf that looks like it’s on steroids. Then there’s Nicolas, who is not only immortal and super strong, he moves as fast as lightning. And Roman is backing them up too. He can shift into an Adalwolf. Not to mention Drakon’s deadly rogue wolf and Tim’s powerful Breedline. They’re all forces not to be reckoned with.”

“Yeah.” Manuel smirked. “You’ve got a point there.”  

Nonetheless Manuel checked his watch again and began pacing the floor.

As time passed, an eerie silence descended on the room, making the hairs on Frank’s neck prickle up. They were still in the room where the bodies of the decapitated Biters lay, along with the very deceased physician, Dr. Henry Michaels, and his mother Fiona. He still couldn’t believe Henry killed his own mother. And thanks to Jena’s creature, the mad physician and his savage little monsters had met their fate. Hopefully, Tim, Jace, Drakon, Roman, and Nicolas were taking care of the ones who managed to escape.  

He looked to where Fiona’s body lay underneath a sheet, feeling sympathy for the poor woman although he’d never met her until today. Lenny, Amelia, and her brother Augustus—all three peaceful vampires called hybrids—had known her for more than a century. Jena had only met her recently, but still, her heart ached for the woman. She’d been the person who’d helped Jena escape from Dr. Henry Michaels. By the unholy creatures they’d previously encountered, it was obvious the unethical physician had plans to experiment on Jena.

When Frank averted his eyes from the shroud covering Fiona and focused on Manuel, who finally stopped pacing, he suddenly said, “Hey partner. You still wearing the gold cross necklace Katlyn got you for your birthday?”

Manuel nodded. “Yeah, why?”

“Well,” Frank began. “I was thinking it might come in handy.”

“It doesn’t work on real vampires, remember?” said Manuel. “By what Nicolas said, there’s only two things that can kill those Biters. And that’s sunlight and severing of the head.”

“Oh, yeah,” said Frank, looking discouraged. “I forgot.”

“Something doesn’t feel right,” said Manuel, glancing over the room, feeling a shiver work its way up his spine.

“What do you mean?” asked Frank.

“Call me crazy, but for some strange reason, I feel like we’re being watched. Don’t you feel it?”

And Frank could. Something seemed off. And it was too quiet. It was like something was lurking in the shadows, unseen to the eye, but there was a presence somewhere. His mouth had gone dry, and he had to lick his lips before he could speak.

“Yeah,” said Frank, keeping his voice low. “I can feel eyes on us.”

Manuel looked past Frank to the open doorway when he heard faraway footsteps. “Shit,” he uttered. “Looks like my intuition was right.”

When Frank turned to look, he saw a tall, masculine woman who was fast approaching, her long, dyed fire engine hair bouncing with each stride. Her pallid face was a mask of horror, and her eyes were blank as if she was spellbound by something unknown. “Is that…” Frank swallowed in mid-sentence. “…who I think it is?”

“Karina Adams,” Manuel replied. “Kian’s twin sister.”

“She doesn’t look—”

Human,” Manuel said as Frank’s voice trailed off. “No, she doesn’t.”  

Frank’s tongue stuck to the roof of his mouth as the woman’s lips formed into an awful, menacing snarl. The flickering fluorescent lights above her flashed against the visible tips of her sharp-pointed teeth. 
  
Before Manuel got the chance to call out to Jena, a small group of hissing Biters emerged from the shadows. They stalked alongside the redheaded woman, wearing black, chiffon dresses, identical to the teenage vampires they’d previously fought against. Karina moved ahead of the others like she was the leader of the pack.   

Frank drew his weapon. “Stay back!”

Karina halted in her tracks and growled in response, a guttural vibrating sound, doglike. 

The Biters followed suit, their eyes alternating between Karina and the two detectives. The sounds that were wrenched out of their grotesque mouths were inhuman chattering and hissing like they had their own unique way of communicating.   

Jena, sensing them approaching minutes before the detectives had, managed to find a way through an exit on the far side of the room without being detected. While she found a way around, planning to catch the Biters off guard and attack from behind, Jem, Lenny, Amelia, and Augustus moved in to protect the detectives. 

Manuel kept one hand close to his gun and extended the other as a peace offering.  “Miss Adams,” he said, trying to keep Karina and the Biters distracted. “We have your sister, Kian. And we promised her we would bring you back with us unharmed.”

Karina glared at Manuel, oblivious as Jena—still bestowing her wolfish creature—slowly crept closer, nearing the backside of the Biters like a lioness stalking her prey. The redhead and her vampirish companions were fixated only on the two human detectives, their eyes filled with hatred… filled with bloodlust.

Waiting for the perfect opportunity, Jena sprang out with slashing claws and sunk them into a Biter who was standing closest to the rear. The vampirish creature let out an unearthly, high-pitched screech as Jena tore her head from her torso.   
                  
Frank’s eyes were stunned by the sheer brutality and cunning skills as Jena went from one Biter to the next, ripping and tearing at their flesh. And before his eyes, Jem’s body began to stretch as if something underneath his skin was trying to break free. The skin-twisting carnage seemed to end as fast as it began. In a flash, his clothes burst from his body. The tiny fragments of material scattered to the floor in pieces. It happened so fast, Frank thought he’d only imagined it. Magically, Jem’s human form vanished. Standing in his place was a magnificent Breedline wolf, icy blue-eyed and gigantic, with snow-white fur and enormous jaws. It briefly looked between Manuel and Frank as though in some strange way, a silent understanding took place. Then, it advanced rapidly, growling as it leapt for their enemies, springing on its haunches, launching itself through the air. 
  
As the remaining Biters scrabbled on all fours, trying to escape death, their movements appeared spiderlike. Although Jem and Jena had nearly taken them all, Karina managed to evade her fate. She quickly cut away from the group and slipped out of sight. Lenny, Amelia, Augustus, and the two detectives didn’t see her. Their eyes were focused on the savagery before them, praying Jena and Jem were powerful enough to destroy the evil monstrosities.  

Karina darted through the exit Jena had used, and when she snuck up behind the others, she threw both arms around Lenny’s neck with a convulsive yell. And then, incredibly, she threw him across the room. He crashed into the corner, knocking the breath out of him.

In a flash, Karina was on Frank. He’d only caught a shadowed glimpse of her lunging on top of him, ripping at his shirt, and then the yawning of her jaws.

Manuel called out in desperation and threw himself at Karina. As he grabbed for her hair, he could hear the revolting sound of chopping lips, skin tearing, and Frank’s despairing scream.  

With his teeth gritted, Manuel fisted her long hair and yanked her head upward with all the strength he could muster. Karina’s face spun around like the swiftness of an owl’s head, her eyes flaring with rage, and her chin and lips coated with blood. Frank’s blood.   
   
Manuel nearly gagged the instant she bared her fangs in his face and hissed. Her foul breath was beyond measure, like something had crawled down her throat and died. On pure instinct, he quickly released her hair and reached into the front of his shirt for the cross necklace. Well… here goes nothing, he thought to himself. The moment he brought the cross up and flashed the gold pendant in her face, she looked stunned at first. As if in slow motion, her eyes widened, and her jaw dropped like she was going to let out one hell of a protest. But instead, she burst into some ungodly cackle, the guttural sounds sinister and witchy. It was worse than the sound of fingernails scratching across a chalkboard.

Manuel grimaced. Ah, shit! He took a few steps back and drew his gun. “Come on, bitch.” His voice was taunting and challenging. “Show me what you got.”

Karina snarled her upper lip and before she had the chance to lunge at Manuel, something sharp sliced over her throat, from one end to the other. Stiffening in utter disbelief, she barely registered the movement. Instinctively, she grasped a hold of her neck with eyes bulging in horror, realizing the wet, sticky substance seeping between her fingers was blood. And this time, it was her blood. Then, a sickening gurgling sound escaped from her bloody lips. When Karina turned to get a glimpse of her attacker, a petite woman with long auburn hair came into view. The image didn’t last long. As the life drained from her body, Karina felt a sudden coldness clamp over her ears. It pressed against them with so much force, it was as if her head had been stuck in a vice. She tried to struggle, but it was no use. Whatever had her, was too strong. It was then she acknowledged what held her in such a tight grip. They were someone’s hands. And they were as solid as Greek stone. Panic set in when she realized whose hands they belonged to. It was a vampire. Then, she heard groaning of a man’s voice coming directly above her. He pulled and pried until the opening of her throat widened and gave way, spewing like a crimson geyser. In a of matter seconds, Karina’s vision drifted into darkness as her head was torn free of her torso.

Manuel looked between Augustus—who tossed Karina’s head to the floor—and his sister Amelia with complete astonishment and sincerity. Nodding a silent thank you, he released a long sigh of relief, then focused his eyes on his partner, who was already on his feet, holding a hand to the side of his neck. And his fingers were covered in blood. The dreadful image raised the hairs on Manuel’s neck. Oh, shit!

“S-She bit me,” sputtered Frank, his panic-stricken gaze bouncing from Manuel to Amelia and Augustus and then back to his partner again.     

To be continued. . . 
          
 
 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

Jena McCain - She is an inspiring artist with the ability to speak with the dead. Jena was attacked and bitten by an age-old creature and cursed with a lust for human blood. Now that she is to become the creature and hunt humans, instead of killing innocent people, she will only hunt evil.

Lenny - He is a hybrid. A vampire that only feeds off the blood of animals.

Ameila - She is Lenny's wife and a hybrid.

Augustus - He is Ameila's fraternal twin brother and a hybrid.

Biters - They are dangerous vampires that hunt humans and comprised of only females.

Dr. Henry Michaels - He is a ruthless scientists and head physician of Adam and Eve Pharmaceuticals, hired by the government to do research on his patients to create a new species.

Nicolas Ratcliff - He is immortal with the power of invisibility and supernatural speed. He works for the San Francisco Police Department as a detective. He's bonded with Jena McCain.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon. His bonded mate is Tessa Fairchild. He's an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and the council head of the California Covenant.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species and bonded to Cassie Chamberlain.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.