Supernatural Science Fiction posted October 11, 2021 Chapters:  ...83 84 -85- 86... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

The Biters/Part Three

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. If you catch typos or mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & I hope you enjoy!

“Let’s go,” said Tim, motioning toward the others. “Those Biters couldn’t have gotten far.” He led the way, while Jace, Roman, Drakon, and Nicolas trailed close behind.

Jena, along with Lenny, Jem, and Detectives’ Manuel Sanchez and Frank Perkins, decided to hang back until Amelia and her brother Augustus healed. Although they’d already consumed enough of Jena’s blood to cure the mysterious and deadly vampire virus, it seemed to be taking longer to restore their bodies than it did Lenny’s. Most likely it had something to do with Amelia and Augustus becoming ill months before Lenny had displayed any symptoms.        
      
It was hard for Jena to watch the others go, her gut dreading the decision to stay behind, but it was the right thing to do. Not only was Amelia and Augustus too weak in their current physical state, the two human detectives were defenseless and vulnerable to go up against the vampirish creatures. Someone had to protect them. In case they were attacked, between Jena, Lenny, and Jem, surely it was enough backup to keep them safe. Besides, they couldn’t very well leave them alone to defend themselves.  
 
***
 
“It’s payback time,” said Jace as he, and his Breedline companions made their way down a dark, narrow hallway that seemed to go on forever. “Where are you?” He raised his voice, shining a flashlight in one hand and toting a jagged medical instrument in the other. “You little bloodsuckers.”

“Speak up, Jace,” Drakon said in a mock-scolding voice, following directly behind Roman. “I don’t think they heard you.”

Jace glanced back at Drakon with a Clint Eastwood glare. “I don’t know ‘bout the rest of you, but I’m ready to get this shit over with.”

“Me too, buddy,” Roman whispered from behind Jace, nodding his head. “Me too.”

“I wonder how Jena and the others are doing,” said Jace, glancing back at Roman. “Do you think—”

“Shhh…” Tim cut him off. “Would you please stop talking and keep your eyes ahead.”

“Okay, okay,” Jace muttered.

They moved slower now, keeping their eyes peeled, ready for something to spring out at any moment. But when Jace suddenly came to an abrupt halt, Roman, who wasn’t paying attention, nearly bumped into him. He immediately threw his hands out. Shit! “What the hell, Jace?” he grumbled.

Tim looked at Jace with his brows pinched. “What’s wrong?”

“I have to take a piss.”

Tim heaved out an irritated breath. “Seriously?”

Jace nodded, appearing to be holding his breath.

“Fine,” he replied, his eyes darting over the limited space, then back at Jace. “Just go over there.” Tim thumbed toward the far end of the opposite wall. “Make it quick. We’ll cover your back.” 

A few minutes later, and what sounded like a raging river, Jace finally zipped up and jogged back over. “Much better,” he said with a contented sigh. “Thanks guys.”  
    
Finally, as they approached a tall wooden door, it reminded Jace of the spine-chilling room where he and Roman had found all those sharp medical instruments. He cringed at the thought and wondered if that nutty physician, Dr. Henry Michaels, used them to torture his patients. He tucked the eerie notion in the back of his mind and moved next to Tim. Using the flashlight, Jace directed it alongside the door’s frame. He flinched, cursing under his breath as a spider scurried down. Then, he paused, shining the light over a metal name plate positioned a little below his eyelevel. It had something written in black, bold letters.

Jace read it aloud. “Test room B,” he said with a smirk. “Pfft…” He rolled his eyes, trying his best to keep his voice to a minimal. “This is probably where that nut job Henry done all his freaky research. There’s no telling what’s in there. This could be where those creepy Biters slithered off to.”

“Well,” Tim began as he reached for the doorknob. “We’re fixing to find out. Let’s see if it’s unlocked.”

As soon as he gave the knob a twist, it turned. He quickly looked over his shoulder at the others who had gathered behind him. “It’s open.” He kept his voice low, and his hand clasped onto the door handle. “Get ready guys.” He took a few slow breaths, facing the door again. “Here goes nothing.”

Tim eased the door open, his heart pausing a beat or two, relieved the hinges didn’t creak. He silently signaled to Jace, nodding at the flashlight in his hand. Jace gave him a nod back, and turned to face the dark room, preparing himself for whatever the hell was inside. The second he aimed the beam of light straight ahead, the hairs on the back of his neck stood on end. Something wasn’t right. He instantly sensed danger. He took a couple of steps inside and immediately recoiled.

“Holy shit,” Jace gasped, holding back his gag reflex. “What the hell is that putrid smell?”

Tim moved in next to him, leaving the others standing inside the dark, massive room. “Over there,” said Tim, pointing toward the far side. “It’s coming from that direction.”

When Jace moved the beam of light across the room, cold dread hit him, and his jaw dangled slackly. Son. Of. A. Bitch. He saw rows and rows of small cots with what looked to be Biters, resting like rotting corpses. He recognized them by their long, dark matted hair, and the matching chiffon dresses. They oddly reminded him of that stringy-haired ghost girl in the horror film, The Ring. Not to mention the familiar pungent odor of death that hung in the air. It was so thick, like a veil of smoke, Jace could almost taste it. Hell, it was so rank, he could probably cut the ungodly smell with a knife. He winced in disgust, crinkling his nose.  “Filthy vampires,” he croaked out.    
  
Tim reached for Jace’s flashlight and motioned everyone to gather. When they all got within ear shot, Tim leaned in and spoke barely above a whisper, “Look above those cots, guys.” He craned his head toward the sleeping vampires and aimed the light above them. The glow of the beam presented a large bay window that had been blacked out. He lowered the flashlight and faced them again. “We’ve got to find a way to break that window. Right now, daylight is our most powerful weapon, and it’s just beyond that glass barrier.”   
  
“Please,” came a strained whisper. “Help me.”

The unfamiliar voice startled Jace and he nearly jumped out of his skin. Shit! He instantaneously spun on the balls of his feet and faced the voice with his hand firmly gripping the bone saw. Tim whirled around with the flashlight extended, aimlessly searching the room. Drakon, Roman, and Nicolas kept their eyes focused on the glow of the light, readying themselves to go toe-to-toe with the pack of teenage vampires. But when Tim trained the light toward the far end of the room, there was a man huddled in a corner, whimpering softly, wearing ratty clothes and no shoes. He was handcuffed to a chain embedded in the concreted floor. His eyes were wide, and his pale face was a sunken mask of terror.   
 
Tim stepped closer, cringed at what he saw, and instantly took a step back. All the muscles in his body went rigid. He couldn’t move. He could only stare at the butchery lying only a few feet away. Not far from the restrained man was a naked, bloody torso. Going by the way it smelled, it had obviously been here decaying at least a few days. Although the person’s head was no longer attached to its body, still, Tim could easily identify it was a male.
     
Jace gasped in horror as he got a closer look. “My god…”    
    
“Help me…” whispered the stranger, rattling the handcuffs.

Tim put his finger up to his lips, motioning for the guy to stay silent. Then, he slowly moved closer and leaned over the man whose tattered clothes were caked in blood and gore. “Who are you?” he whispered.

“M-Maximum,” the man muttered quietly, swallowing hard. “Maximum Pierce.”

Tim cocked a brow, thinking. Why does that name sound familiar? Then, he noticed the trail of bite marks up and down the guy’s arms and legs. Not even the exposed skin on his feet were left untouched. He reminded Tim of a dog’s chew bone. Keeping his voice low, he said, “Have you been bitten?”

“Yes.” The guy nodded. “Those things…” He looked to the sleeping vampires with fear stamped all over his face, then back to Tim. “They’ve been taking turns, feeding on me for days.”

“How’d you end up here?” asked Tim.

“Dr. Henry Michaels,” said the man. “He hired me…” He briefly hesitated, avoiding the details of why he’d been hired. “Then he drugged me.” He let out a dry, ragged breath. “When I came around, I found myself in here, handcuffed to the floor.”  

Tim turned toward the others and focused on Nicolas with a clueless expression on his face. Nicolas looked at Tim grimly and came forward. Then, he knelt in front of the guy who was secured in restraints. “Did you know who that person was?” Nicolas asked, gesturing to the decapitated body.

The man’s lips trembled. “H-His name was Adrian Garcia. H-He was…” Tears streamed down his cheeks. “…like a brother to me. Those cannibals killed him, practically eating him alive.”

Suddenly, the name registered in Nicolas like a beacon going off in his brain. Heat flared within him. He stood straight, faced Tim with anger burning in his gaze and whispered, “They’re…” He paused to rephrase his words. “Or rather what’s left of them, the two guys who were involved with Jena’s kidnapping.”

“Shit,” said Tim, releasing a sigh. “Well, we can’t just leave the poor bastard here.”

“Hey guys…” Jace quietly muttered, feeling a sickening drop in his gut. When no one looked, he raised his voice, “Oh, guys. I believe someone is waking up.”

Tim and the others turned in horror to find the Biters, inexorably rising from their deep slumber. They came awake like animated corpses, hissing and growling. Deathly pale faces glistened beneath the myriad veils of long black hair, and ruby red lips, accentuating the vampirish ghoul’s sharp, ivory teeth.  

To be continued. . .




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

Jena McCain - She is an inspiring artist with the ability to speak with the dead. Jena was attacked and bitten by an age-old creature and cursed with a lust for human blood. Now that she is to become the creature and hunt humans, instead of killing innocent people, she will only hunt evil.

Lenny - He is a Daywalker. A vampire that only feeds off the blood of animals.

Ameila - She is Lenny's wife and a Daywalker.

Augustus - He is Ameila's fraternal twin brother and a Daywalker.

Biters - They are dangerous vampires that hunt humans and comprised of only females.

Dr. Henry Michaels - He is a ruthless scientists and head physician of Adam and Eve Pharmaceuticals, hired by the government to do research on his patients to create a new species.

Nicolas Ratcliff - He is immortal with the power of invisibility and supernatural speed. He works for the San Francisco Police Department as a detective. He's bonded with Jena McCain.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon. His bonded mate is Tessa Fairchild. He's an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and the council head of the California Covenant.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species and bonded to Cassie Chamberlain.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.