Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 25, 2021 Chapters:  ...58 59 -60- 61... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Garth and Allie

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 60

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.











“Just admit it; you’re jealous.”
 
“Jaz quit talking stupid. My life differs completely from yours. All I am saying is you’re living on the edge. It’s not you!”
 
“You have no idea who I am. You are too busy chasing crazy crime stories to know anything about my life.”
 
“That’s not true. I have always been interested in—"
 
“Allie, stop! I am a grown woman, and I don’t need your permission. I’ll decide what I am going to do, not you.”

 
Allie sighed as she remembered her last conversation with her younger sister, Jasmine. It did not shock her when Jaz disconnected the call because it was her way of winning an argument. Allie assumed her sister would call again in a few days, apologize, and they’d laugh about it. That was six months ago, and Jaz hadn’t answered her text messages or her calls.
 
Garth stepped out of the house into the rose garden, inhaling the flowers’ fragrant aroma and the fresh autumn air. It had been a very long, grueling day, which thankfully ended with the rescue of Annie. He needed to unwind. It was moments like this when he missed Katherine and their talks.
 
When he saw Allie relaxing by the fountain, a warm smile crossed his face. It was a rare sight to see her dark copper curls released from the restrictive bun and brushing her shoulders. He marveled at her beauty beneath the moonlight. Allie was a rare gem; strong, humorous, and beautiful inside and out.
 
Returning to the kitchen, Garth opened the refrigerator, claiming two Heineken beers, some summer sausage, and a block of cheese. Inside the cupboards, he found crackers, plates, napkins, and a knife. Satisfied with his choices, he gathered everything on a tray and headed for Allie.
 
His voice shattered the night’s calm. “Is this a private party, or can I join you?”
 
“Ooh!” Allie gasped in surprise. “You scared me.”
 
“I’m sorry. It’s been a rough day, and I thought maybe we could unwind together. But if you’d rather be alone—”
 
“Don’t be silly. I was enjoying the night.” Allie smiled and took the tray from his hands. “Oh, looks like you’ve thought of everything.”
 
Garth chuckled, “It’s the extent of my culinary skills - raiding the refrigerator. You weren’t at dinner, so I thought you might be hungry.”
 
“I was distracted, I guess. But this looks yummy. Thank you.” Allie cut thin slices of the salami and cheese while Garth opened the bottles of beer.
 
Garth had expected a warmer reaction. He wondered if he had misjudged Allie’s feelings. His throat tightened. “It’s nights like this when I miss Katherine.” He grimaced as he realized how awkward his words sounded.
 
Allie pressed her lips together. “I understand. Of course, you miss her. She was your wife.” Allie picked up a piece of cheese and nibbled at the edges. “You loved her.”
 
Garth stood, shoved his hands in his pockets, and walked across the patio. He stood staring at the stars shimmering against the sapphire blue sky. “Yes, I loved Katherine very much, but she would be the first person to tell me to live my life, not bury it with her.”
 
Allie stared at Garth’s broad shoulders, biting her lower lip. “I meant it will take time.”
 
“Katherine was a gentlewoman. She despised my job, but she would sit for hours, letting me talk about it until I could unwind. There will always be a place in my heart for her, but I know I can share my life and love again.” With his eyes lowered, he joined Allie again. An awkward silence spread between them.

He bent toward the cut salami and cheese and put a small portion on a Breton harvest wheat cracker. He reached across the table and raised the morsel to her lips. “Nourishment for my princess.”
 
A reddish blush crept across Allie’s cheeks, and her green eyes sparkled under Garth’s gaze. “Your—princess?”
 
Garth laughed at her embarrassment. “Too much, too soon?” He handed her the beer. “Would you prefer cheers to my crime-fighting pal?” He raised his bottle to Allie’s and tapped it gently. “I thought—well, I hoped we might be more than friends.”
 
Allie replaced her beer on the table, wiped the crumbs from her mouth, and stood. Her voice wavered. “Friends, you are joking, right?”
 
The smile on Garth’s face disappeared, replaced by a look of chagrin. “My apologies, Allie. I felt like you might be sort of interested in this ole cowboy.”
 
Allie stepped around the table and lowered her body into his lap, wrapping her arms around his neck. She could feel her heart beating against her chest; she shuddered, trying to breathe. His breath warmed her cheek. Her eyelids fluttered, then closed as she murmured, “I don’t need more friends.”

Garth’s lips brushed across Allie’s cheek and trailed down her neck. His fingers played with her curls as he pushed them away from her face. His voice was a low growl. “I think I might kiss you.”

“Then do it.” Allie laughed, brushing her soft lips against his face.
 
He grinned as he stared into her eyes. Allie returned his stare. The first kiss was soft and warm, like butterflies brushing across her lips. He tilted his head to the side and whispered, “Not bad.”
 
“Not bad.” Allie pulled back and stared into his eyes. “That’s it?”
 
“You are so demanding.” Garth held her head between his hands and pressed his lips against hers, hungrily devouring her mouth. Allie matched his burning desire, and her mouth opened, accepting his flicking tongue, teasing the walls of her mouth. A soft groan escaped as she surrendered to his passion.


***************
 
 
“Sebastian.” Annie shrieked from inside the FBI vehicle. “Sebastian.” The St. Bernard recognized Annie’s voice and bounded off the porch toward his beloved master.
 
Tango hurried around the front of the vehicle and opened the rear door. Sebastian lumbered inside, and his warm tongue licked Annie’s face until she squealed for him to stop.
 
Mary climbed out of the car, laughing and overjoyed to see Annie with her beloved dog. Thoughts of the past nightmare faded with their happiness.
 
“Annie. Sebastian. Stop and get out of the car. I’m sure someone else is eager to see you too.”
 
“Oh, Mommy!” Annie slid across the backseat and got out of the car. “Come on, Sebastian. Let’s go see Mommy.” As the little girl ran toward the house, she screamed, “Mommy! Mommy! I’m home.” Her best friend jumped and barked at her side as they burst through the screen door.
 
Mary heaved a long sigh and opened her arms to Tango. “Give me a hug. I don’t know how to thank you and all the others for bringing her home.” Tears glistened in her eyes.
 
“I’m happy it all worked out. She seems to be none worse for the wear. Awesome to be a kid, I guess.”
 
“The house was so empty without her. I’ll try to remember that when the mighty duo is destroying things.” Mary hugged Tango one more time. “Thank you.” She turned toward the house, “I better get inside before they bring the walls down.”
 
Mary laughed and waved as Tango returned to his car. She watched his taillights disappear, whispered another thank you to the Lord, and hurried inside to join the reunion.

 



Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Jasmine (Jaz) Shelton - Allie's younger sister
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastian - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango, Poppa, Howard, Pete - FBI agents
Tito - one of Mason's henchmen
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.