Supernatural Science Fiction posted September 13, 2021 Chapters:  ...80 81 -82- 83... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

The Blood Cure/Part 2

by scongrove


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. If you catch typos or mistakes, please let me know. Stay safe & enjoy!
Previously. . .
Meanwhile, as Lenny went to retrieve Amelia and Augustus, Nicolas and the others gathered around Jena. “You’re not going after those Biters alone,” said Nicolas. “I’m coming with you.”

“I agree with Nicolas,” said Tim. “There’s at least half a dozen of them left.”

“If we’re planning on killing what’s left of those little bloodsuckers,” said Jace, “we’re gonna need something real sharp.”

“Yeah,” Roman chimed in. “Surely there’s something around here we can use.”

The second Jace took off, Jem called out, “Hold up, Brother. Where do you think you’re going?”

Jace looked over his shoulder. “To look for weapons.”

“Okay, but don’t go too far,” said Jem, frowning. “You wouldn’t want to run into those Biters. You’ll be forced to shift. And it would be easier if we could avoid provoking your Beast.” 

“Whatever,” Jace groaned under his breath as he walked off.

Roman tapped Jem on the shoulder. “I’ll go with him.”

Jem nodded. “Thanks Roman.”   

As the guys weighed their options, mulling over the best way to destroy the remaining Biters without shifting, Jena looked toward the far side of the room where two bodies lay. She felt a twinge of sadness when she caught site of Fiona’s blank glossy stare. She was positioned on her side, her head nearly severed, lying in a pool of her own blood. Jena blinked a few times, and a single tear fell from the corner of her eye.

Not far from Fiona lay Henry’s bloody torso. Through a set of narrowed eyes, Jena searched for the mad physician’s head. She followed the crimson trail that led to the opposite side of the room. There, facing her, staring out of wide lunatic eyes, was the gory severed head. The expression on Henry’s face was one of shock, his mouth slacked open, and strings of raw carnage oozed from the bloody stump. Looking at the grotesquery, she felt no pity for the man. Dr. Henry Michaels deserved his fate and then some.   

Continued. . .
“What about Fiona?” asked Jena as she looked away and refocused on the others. “We’re not going to just leave her body here, are we?”

“This is a crime scene, Jena,” said Manuel. “Detective Perkins and I should call this in. That is…” He paused, looking to Tim for some sort of guidance. “Unless you have a better idea.” 
 
Tim looked between the two detectives. “It’s your call,” he said. “But how are you going to explain all those hybrids we destroyed, not to mention the Biters? And we still have to hunt the others down.”

Manuel gave Tim a nod. “You’re right. If we call this in, it will only complicate things. And I’m in no mood to deal with my captain. Besides, if he finds out Frank and I went against his orders in this investigation, and disregarding the Feds, he’ll have our heads on a chopping block.”

“Yeah,” Frank muttered. “Captain Hodge still hasn’t gotten over Jena’s kidnapping ordeal. When he found out we didn’t notify him as soon as she turned up, all hell broke loose. And that reminds me.” Frank focused on Jena and went on to say, “As soon as all this is over, Manuel and I are going to turn over Kian Adams since she was involved with your kidnapping. Hopefully we’ll find her sister alive in this ungodly place.”

When she nodded, Manuel said, “And there’s one more thing.” He kept his eyes on Jena. “We’ll need you to stop by the precinct to make a statement. About your kidnapping anyway. And in your human form, of course.”

Frank rolled his eyes at Manuel. “I think that goes without saying, partner.”

“What about the other two guys involved? asked Tim. “Any word on them by chance?”

Manuel shook his head. “Nothing so far. But since we’ve identified them, I’m sure it won’t be long before we locate their whereabouts.”

“Well,” Tim said with a shrug. “Let’s go find the rest of those Biters. The sooner we get this over with, the better. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’ve had enough of this damn place.”

“I second that,” said Drakon.

“Look what I found,” hollered Jace as he made his way into the room with Roman trailing alongside him. They had something in their hands. Something sharp, like surgical instruments of some kind. As they moved closer, Jace lifted whatever was in his hands and said, “Let’s rock and roll.”

Jem eyeballed the sharp metal objects. “What the hell are those?”

“Bone saws,” said Jace, sporting a devilish grin.

“Where did you get them?”

Jace lowered his arms and nodded toward the corridor. “We found them in a room down the hall. The place looked like a freakin’ torture chamber.”

Roman visibly shivered. “And creepy as hell.”

Jace chuckled. “It reminded me of that 70s musical comedy horror film. You know…” He paused and shrugged at his brother. “The one with Tim Curry and Meat Loaf.”

“You mean…” said Jem, releasing an irritated sigh. “The Rocky Horror Picture Show?”

“Yeah,” Jace boasted. “That’s the one.”

“Geez,” Jem grumbled low. “Let’s just get this over with.”

“What about your special powers?” asked Roman, his eyes focused on Jem, realizing how easily the guy could create a firebomb with one flick of his wrist. “I mean, couldn’t you just turn those Biters to ashes?”

Jem looked from Roman to Nicolas, gauging his reaction. “I don’t know. Maybe.” He shrugged. “I guess I could try. Lenny didn’t mention anything about fire.” 

“That’s because it won’t destroy them,” explained Nicolas. “I wish it did. Then, we’d be done with all this.” He released a sigh. “But it’s just not the case. Like it or not, we’re going to have to behead the remaining Biters. Unless you can think of a way to herd them out into the daylight.”

“These will work just fine,” said Jace, flashing the sharp-edged blades. “Besides, I’ve got a score to settle with one of those bitches.” He peered down at his torn T-shirt. “This happens to be Metallica’s signature album cover and one of my favorite shirts. Now look at it.” He frowned. “It’s freakin’ ruined.”

“Then why the hell did you wear it,” said Jem, groaning.

“I’d be upset too,” came a soft feminine voice, laced with an English accent.

When everyone turned toward the voice, they saw Lenny standing in the open doorway. He was latched onto the arm of a young woman with long auburn hair and porcelain white skin. She was petite, seemingly overly thin and frail, but still, she was a vision of beauty. Her rose-colored lips, plump and full, were drawn in a thin line, as if she were unsure of the occupants in the room. On the other side of her stood a broad-shouldered man who stood several inches taller than Lenny, putting him at about six-foot-three. He was handsome but appeared too lean for his frame. His pallid complexion matched the woman’s, along with the color of his shoulder length hair. And they both shared the same bloodred eyes as Lenny’s. It was obvious what they were. Vampires.

Jena instantly inhaled the newcomer’s scent. She was relieved to find nothing evil radiating from the two. Only fear and weariness. 

“I’m a big fan,” the pale-faced woman continued to say, pointing at Jace’s T-shirt that looked to be hanging by a thread. “Of Metallica, that is.”   

Jace stared into the woman’s scarlet gaze and muttered, “Who the …?” His words were cut off by Nicolas as he stepped forward and said, “Dear God…” He smiled broadly, clearly recognizing the couple as he reached out to the woman with open arms. “It’s been so long, dear heart.”  

After a few moments, they pulled from their embrace and Nicolas extended his hand to the tall gentleman. “How have you been my dear friend?”

The man took Nicolas’s hand in a firm shake and said, “To be honest…” His accented voice matched his looks, pleasant but weary. “I’ve had better days.”

Nicolas shot him a look of empathy. Despite his thin frame and paleness, Augustus looked as he’d remembered him so many years ago. He was a true gentleman, as well as a powerful vampire, who’d not only been a loyal friend to Lenny, but him as well. Augustus, along with Lenny and Amelia, helped him adjust to living as an immortal. It had been the loneliest of times, especially after the sudden disappearance of his brother Ashton. 

“Let me introduce you to everyone here,” said Nicolas, his eyes focused on the couple standing close to Lenny.
When the couple nodded, Nicolas went down the line, starting with his beloved Jena, to all the members of the Breedine who were gathered, and finally the two detectives. Then he presented them to the young woman and man. “This is Lenny’s beautiful bride Amelia, and her fraternal twin brother, Augustus Rutherford II.”

Amelia forced a smile, her eyes nervously settling on Jena’s beastly features, and Augustus slightly bowed and said, “It’s nice to make your acquaintance. Of course, I wish it were under better circumstances.”  

Jena noticed the dark worry in Amelia’s gaze as she moved forward and reached out to overly thin, pale-faced young woman.

“Please do not fear me,” said Jena. “Although my appearance right now is a bit terrifying, I will not harm you.”

Cautiously, as Amelia took hold of Jena’s outstretched hand, it looked gigantic against hers. “It’s a pleasure,” said Amelia, her lips slowly curling up. “And thank you, Miss McCain.” She swallowed back tears, fighting the urge to cry. “Thank you for saving my dear Lenny. God has surely answered my prayers.”

“You’re welcome, Amelia,” said Jena, looking down at the woman’s tiny hand. It was bony and riddled with blue veins, like the hands of someone far older. She lifted her gaze, getting a closer look at her pasty skin, to the color of her eyes, and the dark circles weighing beneath them.  
   
When Jena released Amelia’s hand, she extended it to Augustus. It wasn’t until he accepted her hand that she realized how considerably weak he was. It was like shaking the hand of an older gentleman. But she knew it wasn’t the case by what she’d previously learned from Nicolas about Augustus and Amelia’s past. They, along with Lenny, had stopped aging centuries ago.  
  
“You’re a saint for sore eyes, my dear,” said Augustus, lightly squeezing her hand. “You came along just in the nick of time.” He smiled brightly. “We are indeed very grateful.”  

 To be continued. . .
                       
 




Artwork/photos: Google & Facebook
NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends his life searching for their bonded mate. When two Breedline species experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. The bond is for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

Jena McCain - She is an inspiring artist with the ability to speak with the dead. Jena was attacked and bitten by an age-old creature and cursed with a lust for human blood. Now that she is to become the creature and hunt humans, instead of killing innocent people, she will only hunt evil.

Nicolas Ratcliff - He is immortal with the power of invisibility and supernatural speed. He works for the San Francisco Police Department as a detective. He's bonded with Jena McCain.

THE BEAST - It is the second-born son of the Chiang-Shih demon. When provoked into a rage, he will shift into the Beast instead of the Breedline wolf. The Beast is also known as the Great White due to his white fur and enormous, two-footed stature. One bite from the Beast has enough venom to kill the Chiang-Shih demon, leaving the soul of the person the demon possessed unharmed.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon. His bonded mate is Tessa Fairchild. He's an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and the council head of the California Covenant.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species and bonded to Cassie Chamberlain.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Dr. Henry Michaels - He is head physician of Adam and Eve Pharmaceuticals, hired by the government to experiment on his own patients to create a new species.

Fiona - Dr. Henry Michaels' mother. She is a vampire.

Biters - Vampires who only consist of females. They are ruthless and brutal killers.

Lenny - He is a vampire who only feeds on the blood of animals.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.