Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 9, 2021 Chapters:  ...48 49 -50- 51... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The destruction begins

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 50

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.
Screams of horrific terror echoed from the basement. The smell of gasoline and acrid smoke filled the rectory. Jon grimaced as he wiped the blood from his face with the sleeve of his robe. Bolts of pain shot through his body, and the room swirled like a top. As sweat and blood trickled in his eyes, he strained to see; his eyes settled on the gaping doorway behind the bookcase.
 
The room swirled as he struggled to focus. His knotted stomach churned as the frightening screams and sickening smells engulfed him. Then, in a moment of clarity, he remembered his granddaughter and the people locked below; his adrenaline pumped as his heart raced. He struggled to get up from the floor, coughing and choking.
 
Using the open desk drawers like a ladder, Jon climbed to a lopsided stance. He leaned against the desk, gasping for air. The sound of heavy footsteps vibrated against the wall as the two burly men charged from the smoldering fire below. Curls of smoke swirled around the dark, gaping opening.
 
Jon’s eyes widened, and his nostrils flared at the sight of Annie in Miguel’s arms. Her lanky legs kicked wildly in the air. Piercing shrieks blasted against Miguel's ears, and her fingers clawed at her assailant’s face. Sensing Jon’s movement, Miguel thrust Annie into the arms of one of the men and spun around, slamming his fist into the priest’s ribs.
 
Gasping for air, Jon doubled over, stumbled, and fell against the wall, knocking the gun from his pocket. As he slid down the wall, his hand felt the pearl handle. Without thinking, he grabbed it and fired as the men and Annie disappeared out the rectory door. Numb, his finger tightened on the trigger and fired as Miguel charged toward him, knocking him into the basement stairway. As his arm hit the doorjamb, the pistol flew from his hand, landing near Miguel’s feet.
 
Miguel bent over, and his hand wrapped around the pearl grip. He could hear the men calling him and Annie’s screams, but he couldn’t resist the payback.
 
Jon saw the muzzle of the pistol glow and then felt the seer of the bullet penetrating through his side. His eyes glazed as the hot burning sensation radiated through his core. The last thought Jon’s brain registered was Miguel’s hysterical laugh as he limped through the door and disappeared.
 
**************

Hank pulled the Mercedes into a parking spot on the side of the church. He was against the idea, but Mary had convinced him to take her to town. They had no solid leads as to Annie’s whereabouts, so it was worth the shot if Mary thought she might get Jon to talk.
 
Mary opened the car door but turned to Hank before getting out. “Thank you for bringing me. My gut tells me Jon knows more than he’s saying. I have to try.”
 
Hank nodded. “I understand. Do you want me to come with you?”

“No, if he’s going to talk, he’ll open up to me. No offense, but I think he’s terrified of you. I won’t take long.” Mary climbed out of the car, closed the door, and hurried down the sidewalk. Darryl had told her the rectory door was in the back, off the side parking lot.
 
**********
 
As Mary neared the corner, she heard screaming. Fear gripped her chest and throat as she raced to the corner of the building. A man was tossing something or someone into his vehicle while another one climbed into the front seat. The Land Rover’s wheels spun and tossed gravel everywhere. Annie’s terrified face pressed against the window as Mary rounded the corner. She screamed, “Ma-a-a-ar-ry!” as the car raced out of the parking lot, fishing tailing and tossing the little girl across the seat.
 
Mary started screaming at the top of her lungs, running back to the Mercedes. Having heard the screams, Hank was climbing out of the car. “Hank, they’ve got Annie.” As she hurried toward the car, she yelled, “It’s a brown and tan Land Rover.” She grabbed the door handle, but Hank was back in the driver’s seat.
 
He clicked the automatic door lock as he shifted into reverse. “Sorry,” was all he could manage as he kicked his finely tuned vehicle into high gear.
 
Two unsuspecting agents dropped their coffee as they exited the café across the street. Unlike a movie, the scene unfolding was chaotic, not in slow motion. As they rushed toward the hysterical woman screaming and pointing down the road, Mary yelled, “The kidnappers have my granddaughter. Hank Armato is chasing them in his blue Mercedes.”
Both agents made a u-turn, racing to their vehicle. Their tires left a streak of rubber as they followed in pursuit, notifying Garth as they chased Hank.
 
*******************
 
The rectory door was ajar as Mary approached it. Drops of blood splattered the steps, and the air smelled of smoke. She stepped around the blood and pushed the door wide open.
 
“Jon—Jon, are you in there?” As she entered the rectory, she inhaled the smoke and coughed. Untying the scarf on her neck, Mary covered her mouth. She gasped when she saw Jon lying on the floor and set off a series of coughs. She rushed to him and knelt by his side. “Jon, can you hear me? We’ve got to get out of here.”
 
“People—basement.” Jon choked on the smoke. His voice was a mere whisper. “Help.”
 
“Oh no!” She moved closer. “Jon, are you saying there are people down there?” She peered into the darkness, but the smoke burned her eyes. “I’ve got to get help.”
 
She searched her pockets for her cell phone but found nothing. She stood and surveyed the room, spying the phone on Jon’s desk. As she reached for it, Poppa came through the door.
 
“Mary, help is on the way. The guys called Garth, and he put everything in motion. I can hear the sirens. You’ve got to get out of here.”
 
“Poppa, Jon says there are people in the basement. We can’t leave them. They need our help.” Mary was frantic.
 
“We can’t get down there. The fire department will be here in a minute. Let’s move Father outside.” Jon moaned as Poppa lifted him from the floor and carried him outside, away from the church.
 
The loud horns and sirens blared from numerous fire trucks as they pulled up on every side of the church, followed by police, ambulances, and volunteer firefighters. Each man wore turnout pants and jacket, a yellow helmet, a self-contained breathing apparatus, and boots before they entered the church. Others stretched out the hoses from several hook-and-ladder trucks and the two water tankers on the scene. Within minutes people began exiting the church rectory, some walking, others needing help, and the men carried a few to waiting gurneys. The emergency room was on high alert, expecting an influx of patients and casualties, including one gunshot wound and a possible concussion.
 
 
 
 
An EMT placed Jon in the ambulance while Mary and Poppa watched. Another gurney rolled by, and Mary gasped, “That’s the woman who came with Jon this morning.”
 
Poppa recognized his arch-nemesis and touched the EMT’s arm as he passed, “Are they going to make it?”
 
“Most are suffering smoke inhalation. The cellar was damp; the giant cedar beams smoldered instead of burned. The original room lit, but we got lucky; heavy doors and rafters slowed its path.”
 
“How about her or the priest?”
 
“Sorry. It’s just too early to tell. We’re lucky any of them are alive.” He loaded Cynthia into the ambulance, closed the door, and signaled for the driver to leave.








Summary... Cassidy is framed for murder. Allie goes undercover to protect Cassidy, but they are both stabbed. Cassidy's life is threatened again in the hospital, and she is pronounced dead (but actually in protective custody). Mason Caldwell runs many illegal businesses, including drugs and human trafficking. Jon, a priest and Cassidy's brother, has sold his soul. Mary, a caregiver, discovers her child she gave up for adoption thirty years ago. Cynthia and Michael are searching for gold on Liz's property. The mysterious woman (Faith) is dying from cancer and lives in a secret cottage with her daughter, Annie, Sebastion, and Mary. Darryl runs the winery, and Miguel is in charge of the vineyards. Garth and Hank are trying to solve the cases.
 



Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastian - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango, Poppa, Howard, Pete - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.