Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 7, 2021 Chapters:  ...45 46 -47- 48... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Tracking the drugs

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 47

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.
Exhaustion overpowered Faith, and she slumped sideways in the rocking chair. The nurse signaled to Hank, and he hurried to assist her in getting the young woman inside. Mary watched them gently maneuver her daughter through the door before she turned to confront Jon once again.
 
“I hope you can live with your decisions, Jon. Whatever possessed you to become this monster has destroyed every speck of the boy I once loved. I want you to go now--" Mary exhaled, "If you refuse to help find Annie, I hope you rot in hell.”
 
Jon shook his head from side to side. “Mary, you don’t understand. I’m just an empty shell of a man. I’ll pray for you, for our daughter and our granddaughter. It’s all that I can do.”
 
“Don’t waste your breath, Jon. I doubt the Lord hears the worthless words that spill from your mouth.” Hank exited the house as Mary turned to enter. “I don’t care what you do with him; just get him out of my sight.”
 
Hank signaled to Garth and bent over to grab Jon’s arm. “We’ve got some garbage to dispose of for Mary.”
 
Jon stumbled to his feet without saying a word and followed them to the car. Hank opened the car door, and Jon climbed into the rear seat, depleted of all emotion.
 
Pete looked at Garth. “What you want me to do with the sorry S.O.B., boss?”
 
Garth shrugged his shoulders and twisted his mouth. “We don’t have enough to hold him, so throw him back to the wolves. By now, Cynthia’s been filling their heads with information. I am sure they’ll love to see him.”
 
“You got it!” Pete climbed into the driver’s seat and started the engine. “Better say your prayers, Father, because I think you might need them.” He shifted into gear and headed back to town.
 
 ***************

In the meantime, Howard placed a call to Tango, alerting him the Sweet Haven truck had made a stop at a café but was now approaching the winery.
 
Garth parked his vehicle on the side of the barn as Miguel turned into the driveway.
 
“How are we going to handle this?” Tango asked Garth.
 
“Darryl, it’s going to be just like every Tuesday. Unload the empty barrels and load the new shipment. Tango, you let our guest do the rest.”

Darryl growled, “If Miguel is responsible, you won’t have to arrest him because I’m going to beat him to death. How could he involve the winery in some illegal drug deal?”
 
“You will not touch him, and we will not arrest him. We need the ringleader, and Miguel isn’t that guy.” Darryl was already pacing back and forth as the truck lumbered toward them.  Garth stood in Darryl's path. “Do you understand me, Darryl? Don’t blow this!”
 
“Yeah, yeah. You want to catch the whole cartel, but Miguel—he’s mine. He was part of the Sweet Haven family. Jack was good to him.”
 
“Money talks—and fools listen.” Garth stared at Darryl. “Just like any other day, okay?”
 
“I got this, but I sure ain’t going to like it.” Darryl walked over to meet Miguel, taking the invoices from him. “Let’s get those barrels unloaded so you can get back on the road. You’ve got a long trip ahead of you.”
 
“Sure do!” Miguel strolled to the rear of the truck, unlocked the doors, and swung them open. He nodded at the small group of men standing outside the barn. “Have at it, guys. The faster we get it unloaded, the faster I get on the road.”
 
The men formed an assembly line and unloaded the barrels.  Darryl climbed on the forklift and began moving the full wine barrels from the cooler to the truck. The process was smooth and quick.
 
As the last one was loaded, Tango opened the atrium door, allowing Bravo to enter the barn. The seventy-pound black Labrador Retriever lopped into the barn, tail wagging and nose sniffing.  Bravo sniffed the concrete from front to back of the barn, circling the men, and retraced his steps.
 
Miguel and the men watched, unaware of Bravo’s talents. As Bravo closed in on the barrels, Miquel turned to Darryl. “When did we get a dog?”
 
“Bravo’s not ours. He belongs to one of the guys protecting Liz. He’s a friendly dog. Likes to hang out in the barn.”
 
With perfect timing, Bravo started to bark as he passed the barrels. His excitement mounted, and his barking increased as he sniffed each barrel.
 
“What’s wrong with him? The dog is going crazy.” Beads of sweat mingled in the hair on the back of Miguel's neck. He ran his fingers along the inside of his collar.
 
“I think he’s trained to sniff out narcotics. Maybe he thinks you’re a drug pusher, Miguel.” Darryl laughed. “Or he’s got a new fondness for wine.”
 
Tango called to him, “Heel, Bravo.” The lab trotted to Tango’s side and sat. “Miguel, want to check out one of the barrels? My dog thinks he smells drugs.”
 
“Drugs? You and your dog are crazy. It’s the same empty wine barrels I’ve  been hauling every Tuesday.”
 
“No problem. I’ll take your word for it. Bravo’s just in training anyhow.”
 
“No, I’ll prove to you there aren’t any drugs in the wine barrels.” Miguel pulled out his knife and lifted the lid off the top. “Take a look for yourself. It’s empty.”
 
Tango walked over to the barrel and peered inside. “Yup, it’s empty. Guess it’s back to school for you, Bravo.”
 
Miguel wiped the sweat from his brow and stared at Darryl. “We don’t need no crazed dogs around here.” He walked to the front of the truck. “I’m out of here.” Wasting no time, he climbed into the driver’s seat and started the engine.
 
Tango bent and patted Bravo’s head. “Good boy.”
 
“Clever of our man to show you the empty barrel. Turn it over, Tango, and let’s see what’s inside.” Garth moved aside so Tango could get to the barrel.
 
Tango did as Garth asked and opened the fake bottom, exposing small packets of cocaine. “How many barrels were on that truck, Darryl?”
 
“Two hundred and twenty per shipment.”
 
Tango let out a long whistle. “Off the top of my head, these six bags weigh around a pound, give or take an ounce or two. That would be two hundred and twenty pounds of cocaine with each shipment.”
 
“In Louisiana, a few years ago, the Plaquemines Parish Sheriff’s Department seized two hundred pounds of the pure stuff estimated street value of $18,000,000.”
 
“I doubt anyone could be moving that kind of product every week.” Hank turned to Darryl. “You got the papers Miguel handed you?”
 
“I tossed them on my desk. Hang on.” Darryl hurried to his office, grabbed the invoice, and brought it back. “Anything specific you’re looking for?”
 
“Yeah, Jack had several invoices with lot numbers circled.” Hank grinned and pulled his notepad from his shirt pocket. He flipped a few pages and then compared the invoice lot to what he had written down. “They match. Jack figured out what shipments had the drugs.”
 
“That’s what got him killed? Cocaine?” Darryl slammed his fist into the stack of barrels. “You better hope you get to that guy before I do.”
 
“Simmer down, Darryl. We all want to solve Jack’s murder, but we need more than these invoices and barrels. We need to catch whoever is running this cartel.”
 
“You just let Miguel drive off free as a bird.” Darryl snapped.
 
Garth shook his head at Darryl. “Do you think I started this job yesterday? Howard’s been on Miguel’s tail since he left the driveway, and two other teams are playing tag with him.”
 
“Speak of the devil,” Garth answered his cell. “What’s happening, Howard?”
 
“You were right. The truck is headed north on Highway 29. He’s not headed to the Pacific Coast Highway.”
 
“Good work, Howard. Keep following him and let me know where he’s going.”







Summary... Cassidy is framed for murder. Allie goes undercover to protect Cassidy, but they are both stabbed. Cassidy's life is threatened again in the hospital, and she is pronounced dead (but actually in protective custody). Mason Caldwell runs many illegal businesses, including drugs and human trafficking. Jon, a priest and Cassidy's brother, has sold his soul. Mary, a caregiver, discovers her child she gave up for adoption thirty years ago. Cynthia and Michael are searching for gold on Liz's property. The mysterious woman (Faith) is dying from cancer and lives in a secret cottage with her daughter, Annie, Sebastion, and Mary. Darryl runs the winery, and Miguel is in charge of the vineyards. Garth and Hank are trying to solve the cases.
 



Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastian - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.