Supernatural Science Fiction posted September 6, 2021 Chapters:  ...79 80 -81- 82... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

The Blood Cure

by scongrove


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. If you catch typos or mistakes, please let me know. Happy Labor Day!
Previously. . .
Jena lowered her hand and held her wrist out, offering it to Lenny. “Take it. My blood is the cure.”

Lenny stared at Jena’s wrist in confusion. “B-But…” He turned to face her. “It’s not been tested. How do you know it will work?” 

“I don’t,” said Jena with a shake of her head. “But what choice do you have?”

“I—” Lenny paused as the others approached. Even the two human detectives stood alongside Nicolas and the Breedline crew, who looked as if they’d went a couple of rounds with a dozen wild cats by all the scratches and bite marks, not to mention their clothes. It looked like they’d been through a shredder.  

“Lenny,” Nicolas murmured. “Have faith, my dear friend.”    
 
Continued. . . 
Lenny looked back at Jena as she raised her wrist, urging it close to his lips. “Drink,” she said, her rough wolfish voice given way to a softer, more soothing tone.

How perfectly terrifying she looked, her face a mask of dark fur, a long muzzle for a mouth, and pointed lupine ears atop her beastly head.

He nodded a silent understanding and took her wrist in his hands. He lowered his bloodred gaze and stared where the viable blood vessel was hidden beneath the thick layer of her dark fur. The rhythmic throbbing of her pulse and the drumming of her heart was like music to his ears. The sounds eased him in a way. The moment he peeled back his lips and bit into her flesh, blood flowed from the punctured vein and rushed into his mouth. At the barest taste of her blood, his eyes opened, growing more focused than before. Jena’s blood possessed a powerful energy like nothing he’d ever tasted. He sucked gently at first, but then an overwhelming thirst took hold. Already he felt its healing abilities coursing through his veins.

As Lenny drew in deeper pulls, his tongue probing hungrily at the savory red liquid, he felt the sickness inside of him slowly begin to fade. It was like an unknown force racing through his body as Jena’s blood merged with his own. Then, a renewed feeling washed over him, carrying away his weak and deteriorating physical state. As he released her wrist, a contented sigh escaped his lips, and for the first time in so many years, he felt alive again. And much more vibrant than ever.

He smiled up at her, the taste of her blood still on his lips. “It worked.” Tears welled in his eyes. “I will forever be in your debt, Miss McCain.” He dipped his head. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” she said. “And call me Jena.” Her mouth drew back into the most hideous wolfish grin, revealing rows of sharp-pointed teeth. “Now…” She waved her clawed hand. “Go fetch your beloved Amelia. I will heal her too.”

“What about the others?” asked Lenny.

“Others?” Jena tilted her head. “How many are we talking?”

“Now that Fiona is gone,” Lenny paused, the look in his eyes expressing sadness, “Amelia and her brother Augustus are the only two here in the facility. But there are still others in Manhattan, waiting for a cure.”

“Well then,” Jena began, crossing her hairy arms. “Looks like I’ll be making a trip to New York.”

“What about the remaining Biters?” asked Lenny. “We can’t have them wandering outside the facility. They’re dangerous.”

“They couldn’t have gone far,” said Jena. “I’m sure they’re somewhere around here. Besides, didn’t you say sunlight would kill them?” 

When Lenny nodded, Jena pointed to a clock mounted on the wall at the far end of the room and said, “Well, considering it’s already dawn, I believe they won’t be leaving this place anytime soon.”

“In that case,” said Lenny, cocking a brow, “neither will I.”

As Lenny turned to leave, he glanced down at his tattered shirt and was shocked by all the blood stains covering the satiny material. He reached down and fingered the holes created by Henry’s unruly little monsters. Beneath all the rips and tears, his skin shown no signs of trauma. It was as if they’d magically disappeared. If it weren’t for Jena’s blood… her creature’s blood, he’d be near death by now. There was no way he could have withstood the vampire’s attack in his previous condition. But now, he was good as new. The vampire virus that once took over his body, like a slow and painful cancer, was now a mere memory, and no longer a death sentence.   
      
He looked back at Jena once more, his expression grateful, and she noticed the changes in his appearance. The blue webbed veins that shown beneath his skin were no longer visible. Instead, they were replaced by the signs of youthfulness and immortality. Even the long strands of his platinum hair of which had previously looked bleak and dull, now glimmered with vitality and shine. And then she wondered what it had been like for Lenny all these years, living as a vampire. Surely, it hadn’t been easy over the last two centuries, hiding in the shadows, never to see the sun. Although she’d been cursed to live an immortal life, at least she could walk among the day. Oddly, she felt sympathy for Lenny. She’d rather be dead than to live forever in the darkness. To her it would be like an imprisonment.

Meanwhile, as Lenny went to retrieve Amelia and Augustus, Nicolas and the others gathered around Jena. “You’re not going after those Biters alone,” said Nicolas. “I’m coming with you.”

“I agree with Nicolas,” said Tim. “There’s at least half a dozen of them left.”

“If we’re planning on killing what’s left of those little bloodsuckers,” said Jace, “we’re gonna need something real sharp.”

“Yeah,” Roman chimed in. “Surely there’s something around here we can use.”

The second Jace took off, Jem called out, “Hold up, Brother. Where do you think you’re going?”

Jace looked over his shoulder. “To look for weapons.”

“Okay, but don’t go too far,” said Jem, frowning. “You wouldn’t want to run into those Biters. You’ll be forced to shift. And it would be easier if we could avoid provoking your Beast.” 

“Whatever,” Jace groaned under his breath as he walked off.

Roman tapped Jem on the shoulder. “I’ll go with him.”

Jem nodded. “Thanks Roman.”  
 
As the guys weighed their options, mulling over the best way to destroy the remaining Biters without shifting, Jena looked toward the far side of the room where two bodies lay. She felt a twinge of sadness when she caught site of Fiona’s blank glossy stare. She was positioned on her side, her head nearly severed, lying in a pool of her own blood. Jena blinked a few times, and a single tear fell from the corner of her eye.

Not far from Fiona lay Henry’s bloody torso. Through a set of narrowed eyes, Jena searched for the mad physician’s head. She followed the crimson trail that led to the opposite side of the room. There, facing her, staring out of wide lunatic eyes, was the gory severed head. The expression on Henry’s face was one of shock, his mouth slacked open, and strings of raw carnage oozed from the bloody stump. Looking at the grotesquery, she felt no pity for the man. Dr. Henry Michaels deserved his fate and then some.   

To be continued. . . 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

Biters - A species of blood thirsty, evil vampires made up of only females.

Jena McCain - She is an inspiring artist with the ability to speak with the dead. Jena was attacked and bitten by an age-old creature and cursed with a lust for human blood. Now that she is to become the creature and hunt humans, instead of killing innocent people, she will only hunt evil.

Nicolas Ratcliff - He is immortal with the power of invisibility and supernatural speed. He works for the San Francisco Police Department as a detective. He�¢??s bonded with Jena McCain.

Lenny - He is a vampire from the 1800s, looking for a cure to heal his kind who has been plagued with a vampire virus.

Fiona - She is a vampire and Dr. Henry Michaels' mother.

Dr. Henry Michaels - He is the head physician at Adam and Eve Pharmaceuticals, hired by the government to experiment on his own patients to create new species.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon. His bonded mate is Tessa Fairchild. He's an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and the council head of the California Covenant.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species and bonded to Cassie Chamberlain.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.