Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 28, 2021 Chapters:  ...36 37 -38- 39... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cassidy and Mary

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 38

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.
 

As Hank left the Jeep and walked inside to get Cassidy, he felt like he was John Coffey walking the green mile with cement shoes. Each step was heavier and heavier to take as he proceeded to Cassidy’s bedroom. As he stood outside the door, he took several deep breaths, exhaling slowly between each one.

“Cassidy.” Hank tapped on the bedroom door. “Could I speak to you, please?”

The door opened, and Cassidy rolled the wheelchair out of the entranceway. “Of course, Hank. Has something happened? Is Allie okay?”

“I haven’t seen her yet.” Hank pointed at the chair. “Do you mind if I sit?”

“Please.” She twisted the wheelchair, so she faced the chair and Hank. “You look uncomfortable. What is it, Hank?”

Hank rolled his words over in his head. He did not know how to approach what he had to say. He glanced out the window at the Jeep and then back at Cassidy.

“Hank, you seem nervous. Is it Mason? Did he attempt something again?” Cassidy rubbed her hands together and up and down her jeans as she waited for Hank to explain the earlier morning visit.

Hank heaved a sigh. “It’s not Mason, Cassidy. You’re safe.”

“Then what? Is something upsetting you? You came here to tell me, so go ahead. I’m listening.”

“The woman that collapsed in the driveway last night.” Hank hesitated. He knew he was about to rock Cassidy’s life big time.

“Oh yes, the poor woman. And her granddaughter is missing. Oh dear, nothing horrible has happened to them, has it?” Cassidy’s hands flew to her mouth, covering her concern. Her eyes widened as she waited for Hank’s response.

“No, she lives in the cottage behind the hills. I was just about to take her home when she spotted you on the patio. That was you, right?” Hank couldn’t imagine it wasn’t, but he stalled for time.

“Yes, I was on the patio for a short time till Tango complained. He wants me to remain inside. I needed some air.” Cassidy snickered. “He gets so upset. I’m supposed to be a bird in a cage. I had enough of that with prison.”

Hank nodded. He understood how confining and terrifying prison had been. “Cassidy, the woman says she knows you.”

“She knows me? Are you sure?”  

“Yes, she was certain.” Hank pursed his lips, leaning forward to take Cassidy’s hands in his own. “It’s from your teenage years. Her name is Mary.”

Cassidy’s eyes flew open in surprise. Slipping her hands from Hank’s, she pushed the wheelchair to the window. She remained motionless as she stared at the vehicle in the drive. “Mary’s—oh, my God, Hank. Mary is one of the mystery women at the cottage. How? Why? I don’t understand.”

Hank stood and walked to Cassidy’s side. He placed his hand in comfort on her shoulder. He tried to imagine what thoughts were whirling around her head. It couldn’t be a pleasant moment for her as she remembered when she’d last spoken to Mary.

“I can tell her you aren’t ready to see her right now, if that’s what you want, Cassidy. Nobody is going to force you into anything.”

“Hank, I have so many questions. It’s been so many years.” Cassidy raised her eyes to meet Hank’s. “Does she know about Jon?”

Hank shook his head. “Mary only knows she saw you. She was frantic and insisted I stop. I did, but it’s not up to me to say you have to talk to her. That’s your decision.”

Tears streamed down Cassidy’s face. She reached for a tissue and wiped them away, but they continued to cascade over the rims of her eyes. “How do I tell her my family lied? I lied! We left her pregnant and alone with her alcoholic father.”

Once again, Cassidy stared out the window. She fought back the tears, sniffing and pressing the tissue to her eyes. Her voice cracked when she spoke again, “Has—has she had a good life?” Cassidy’s eyes pleaded for Hank to say yes. “And her child? What happened to her baby?”

“Cassidy, I think those answers should come from Mary if you choose to see her. And my thoughts are you need to tell her about Jon. Everything about Jon.”

“You’re right, Hank. She’s going to hate me. Not that I can blame her, of course.” Cassidy sighed, “She deserves to know, and I should be the one to tell her.”

“Only if you are sure, Cassidy. It’s been thirty years. A little longer won’t make a difference.”

“No, Hank. I’ll talk to her now. Will you push me to the patio? I’m afraid I’ll need all my strength in the next few minutes.”

Cassidy turned toward the window, “How do I tell her about Jon?”

*************

Mary sat in the Jeep, her eyes glued on the door where Hank had disappeared. Her entire body was shaking. Maybe Cassidy didn’t want to see her. But then they’d parted friends, she thought. Perhaps remembering was too painful for her. It had been thirty years, people change.

When she saw Hank push the wheelchair into the courtyard, she gasped for air. She was excited yet afraid. She had so much to share with Cassidy.

Hank bent over Cassidy and asked, “You okay?” Cassidy nodded and looked toward the Jeep. “I’ll get Mary then.”

He moved across the courtyard, past the row of rose bushes, and hurried to the Jeep. He could see Mary’s eyes darting from him to the patio and back.

As he opened the passenger door, Mary sat there, frozen like a winter ice sculpture. “It’s okay, Mary. To see Cassidy is what you want, right?”

“Yes, yes, of course. It’s just been a long time.”

Hank smiled, “Cassidy said the same thing.” He took Mary’s hand and helped her out of the Jeep. With his arm around her waist, they moved toward the house.

Mary patted her hair and wiped the tear stains from her cheeks. “I’m a mess, Hank. I look like an old scrubwoman.”

He laughed and tightened his arm around her waist. “You look beautiful to me, Mary. I’m sure Cassidy won’t even notice.”

Hank and Mary stepped onto the patio, past the roses. Time stopped. Speechless, Mary and Cassidy stared at each other; then Cassidy extended her arms toward her friend and shrieked, “Mary. I can’t believe it’s you.”

Cassidy's shriek sailed through the kitchen door, bringing Tango and another agent outside in a rush. Hank raised his hand and brought the two men to an abrupt halt.

“They’ll need a little space, Tango. Maybe you can stand guard within earshot if you’re needed.”

Mary and Cassidy clung to each other; their sobs racked their bodies.

“I’ll be inside. You both have a lot to catch up on.” Hank nodded to Tango and returned inside.

************

Stopping in the doorway, Hank took one last backward glance at the two women, said a silent prayer, and entered the kitchen. He could hear Garth and Emmy’s voices coming from the study.

Garth and Emmy looked up from the papers they were studying when Hank walked into the room. After thirty years of marriage, she knew her husband’s body language well, and it was telling her Hank was tense.

“You got back from the cottage faster than I expected. Was everything okay with Faith?” Emmy studied the frown lines on Hank’s face. “Nothing wrong, is there, babe?

“Wrong? Why do you ask?” Hank moved around the desk and kissed Emmy on the top of her head. “Unless you want me to tell you about Mary and Cassidy talking on the patio right now.”

“Mary and Cassidy.” Garth hurried to the window and pushed the curtain to the side. “How in the world did that happen?”

“I headed to the cottage, and Mary was admiring the house. How was I to know Cassidy was sitting on the patio? Mary saw her and went crazy. Like a cat in a gunny sack.” Hank sunk into one of the high-backed chairs and groaned. “I talked to Cassidy first. Mary thinks Jon is dead.”

“Wishful thinking. Jon Saladino may have the title of priest, but he’s no servant of God. Not anywhere near close.”

“Oh, Garth, that’s horrible. You’ve been chasing criminals too long.”

“Emmy, I love you, but that man belongs in prison, and I’m going to put him there.” Garth returned to Emmy’s side. “For now, show your husband what you’ve uncovered.”

“Well, Jack uncovered it. I have been going through his papers and organizing what Liz needs and what we can file. I found one folder marked Miguel.”

“Anything interesting in it?” Hank moved over to the desk. “It must be because you have the look of a Cheshire cat about to catch a rat.”

“There’s a police report about an accident Miguel was in about eight months ago. At first glance, it doesn’t look like much. Another truck broadsided the Sweet Haven truck, so it wasn’t even Miguel’s fault.”

“Sounds run of the mill to me. Maybe Jack had a file for accidents.” Hank yawned and stretched. “You know how organized the guy was.”

“I thought that at first till I read one of the witness reports. It happened only two miles from the vineyard. Miguel was delivering a truckload of barrels to the ranch. Of course, he’d opened the rear to check the shipment. The police report says there were two damaged barrels, but nothing major.”

“Understandable if the other truck smashed one side of Jack’s truck.”

“The witness said the odd part was when Miguel dusted the road with his jacket.” Emmy shuffled through some papers. “Here, let me read it to you.

“The Spanish guy waved the highway crew away. Said there was nothing broken but two barrels and he would get rid of them when he got back to Sweet Haven. Then, he swats some white stuff off the pavement into the grass with his jacket. He even picked up a few handfuls of dirt and tossed it around. Crazy man! The wind would have blown it away.”

Emmy pulled another paper from the envelope. “This is a Sweet Haven invoice. Didn’t you tell me, Liz and you found some invoices in Jack’s safe?”

“Yeah, he’d circled some of the lot numbers.”

Emmy laid the invoice on the desk. “He’s got a lot number circled on this one too.”

“So you’re thinking the powder in the barn fire and the accident are connected. And the lot numbers indicate something.” Garth leaned over and hugged Emmy. “Hank, you better be careful, or I might steal this young lady away from you.”

Hank laughed. “Not a chance. Nice catch, Emmy.”

Garth’s cell rang, and he answered, listened to the person on the other end, and hung up.

“The crime lab got a cast from the tire tread on the service road and a man’s shoe print too.”

“Every bit helps.” Hank moved to the window and watched the two women chatting. “So far, so good, I guess.”









Summary... Cassidy is framed for murder. Allie goes undercover to protect Cassidy, but they are both stabbed. Cassidy's life is threatened again in the hospital, and she is pronounced dead (but actually in protective custody). Mason Caldwell runs many illegal businesses, including drugs and human trafficking. Jon, a priest and Cassidy's brother, has sold his soul. Mary, a caregiver, discovers her child she gave up for adoption thirty years ago. Cynthia and Michael are searching for gold on Liz's property. The mysterious woman (Faith) is dying from cancer and lives in a secret cottage with her daughter, Annie, Sebastion, and Mary. Darryl runs the winery, and Miguel is in charge of the vineyards. Garth and Hank are trying to solve the cases.




Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastian - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.