Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 27, 2021 Chapters:  ...34 35 -36- 37... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The pieces start to fit together

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 36

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.

Poppa stayed by Michael’s side, talking with him and reassuring him the ambulance was on its way, and everything was going to be alright. They discussed baseball, football, the latest movies, and what it was like to be an FBI agent. Poppa wasn’t a big talker, but something about the young man clicked with him and he wanted to put him at ease. 

The EMTs loaded Michael on the gurney and hoisted him out of the ravine. Michael searched the crowd of police officers, medical staff, and FBI agents. He’d hoped that Poppa would be up top waiting for him. Michael closed his eyes, resting his head against the back of the gurney and sighed. He hadn’t seen the man he hoped to be there.

“Looking for someone?” Poppa stepped around the ambulance door, smiling.

Michael heard the voice that had become his security blanket during the last couple of hours, and his eyes popped open in amazement. “Poppa.”

“Who’d you expect–Superman?” The EMT crew lifted Michael into the ambulance, and Poppa climbed in behind them.

“You’re coming with me?” A grin crept across Michael’s mud-stained face.

“I sure am. You didn’t finish telling about those hot babes in the New York City lounges.” They both laughed, and the EMT slammed and locked the rear door. Moments later, the siren kicked in, and the ambulance rumbled down the road.

On the trip to town, Michael began opening up to Poppa about his failure in the real estate market, his aunt’s treasure map, the gold, and her plans to buy Liz’s property. Poppa listened, cataloging it for later.

“I think Cynthia might have something to do with Annie’s disappearance.” Michael’s eyes closed as he realized he was exposing his aunt’s actions.

“Why do you say that, Michael? Did she tell you?” Poppa prodded.

“Not really, but she’s about to lose her property and said she needed to scare Liz so she’d sell. She slipped and said the fire didn’t work.”

“Cynthia admitted to setting the fire?” Michael’s suggestions caught Poppa off guard.

“Well, not exactly. The other night she stayed gone all night and came home exuberant. I asked, but she refused to tell me anything. Then today, she met that Mason guy leaving Liz’s house. He picked her up out by the mailbox. She didn’t return until late tonight. That’s why I was out walking. We’d gotten into a fight, and she said the fire didn’t work, and Mason had a plan. I questioned her, but she clammed up.” 

The technician leaned over and adjusted the blood pressure cuff on Michael’s arm. “I’m going to need you to lie still and stop talking so I can get your blood pressure. We’re almost at the hospital.”

Poppa slid to the other end of the bench, mulling over everything he’d just heard.

Cynthia and Mason. Interesting lead, maybe?

After borrowing a towel from the hospital staff, Poppa cleaned as much of the mud as possible and then searched for a strong cup of coffee. He needed to fill Garth in on what Michael had shared.

The operating room was Michael’s destination. Michael needed a quick fix of the fibula in his calf. The more prominent bone, the tibia, was fine. The cast would ground him for a while, but he would deal with it.

Cynthia arrived and promenaded around the waiting area in the interim, expressing her concerns about her injured nephew. The nurses couldn’t stop their giggles. Cynthia fretted over the operation as people in the waiting room offered her comfort. Never once did she let on that it was only a broken bone.

After receiving notification that Michael was returning to his room, Poppa headed upstairs to check in before heading back to the ranch. A groggy Michael shifted his eyes from his aunt to the giant man standing in the doorway. Cynthia followed Michael’s gaze.

“What are you doing here? It’s none of your concern.” Cynthia snarled at Poppa.

“Pop—pa” Michael tried to speak, but the anesthesia still affected his speech. “He—he was—”

“I got this, kid.” Poppa grinned at Michael and then turned to confront Cynthia’s nasty stare. “I think your nephew is trying to tell you I found him in the ravine and stayed with him until help arrived.”

Cynthia sniffed. “Well, then I guess we owe you a thank you, but his family is here now. We can take care of him.”

“Oh, I know.” Poppa moved to the side of the bed and touched Michael’s arm. He could see the fright in the young man’s eyes. “I promise not to share your stories with your aunt.”

“Stories? What stories?” Cynthia’s eyes widened as they darted between Michael and the agent.

“Man stuff. He was telling me about the beauties he entertained in New York. I might have to visit him when he goes back home.” Poppa winked at Michael.

Relief filled the young man’s eyes. Michael smiled at his friend and then let the anesthesia claim him from his aunt. Poppa patted his arm, bumped against Cynthia, and then moved to the door. “Tell him to be careful with those crutches. I’ll be across the street if he needs anything.”

“He won’t need the likes of you.” Cynthia snarled. “He’s got me to care for him.” She settled into the chair beside the bed and dismissed Poppa.

Hank and Emmy discussed the evening events while watching over Mary. Dr. Copeland said the exhaustion and shock had taken a toll, but she should regain consciousness soon. He’d left with Darryl to tend to Faith.

Mary stirred beneath the sheets, and a soft moan escaped her lips. Emmy rushed to her side, understanding how terrified she’d be when she woke. Hank stood behind Emmy’s chair so the woman would recognize a familiar face.

Mary’s eyes fluttered open. The building was unfamiliar, and her thoughts went wild.

“Where am I? Where’s Faith?” She shook her head back and forth on the pillow. As her head cleared, she screamed, “For the love of God, where’s Annie?” She struggled to lift herself from the bed, but Emmy pressed her hands against Mary’s shoulders, preventing her from rising.

Mary’s eyes settled on Hank. “Annie’s missing. There’s a man—”

“We know, Mary. The police and FBI are looking for her. And Sebastian led us to the young man. He’s at the hospital right now.”

“Faith’s alone. She must be frantic.”

Emmy’s fingers brushed a few stray hairs from Mary’s face. Her voice was soothing. “I know you’re worried, but there are people with her.” She picked up a glass of water and took a pill from the bottle Dr. Copeland had left. “Here, Mary, the doctor left a pill to calm you. Can you swallow it for me, please?”

Still weak and exhausted, she lifted her head from the pillow and allowed Emmy to place the pill on her tongue. She swallowed the water and settled back against the bed. In moments, she drifted into a much-needed sleep.

“Oh, Hank, what a horrible mess. I pray they find the little girl before Mary wakes up.”

“She should sleep till morning. I’ll ask Garth if a couple of his men can take shifts watching over her.” Hank pulled his wife to her feet and wrapped his arms around her. “You need some rest, too. Come on. Let’s go see how everyone is faring in the house.”

“Maybe Garth has some news.” Emmy tucked the sheet around the sleeping woman, and the couple slipped away.








Summary... Cassidy is framed for murder. Allie goes undercover to protect Cassidy, but they are both stabbed. Cassidy's life is threatened again in the hospital, and she is pronounced dead (but actually in protective custody). Mason Caldwell runs many illegal businesses, including drugs and human trafficking. Jon, a priest and Cassidy's brother, has sold his soul. Mary, a caregiver, discovers her child she gave up for adoption thirty years ago. Cynthia and Michael are searching for gold on Liz's property. The mysterious woman (Faith) is dying from cancer and lives in a secret cottage with her daughter, Annie, Sebastion, and Mary. Darryl runs the winery, and Miguel is in charge of the vineyards. Garth and Hank are trying to solve the cases.




Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastian - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.