Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 26, 2021 Chapters:  ...33 34 -35- 36... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Hank and Garth struggle to find the missing pieces

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 35

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.
 
Sebastian’s four paws padded down the blacktop, stopping now and then to check on Mary’s steady progress. He shook his body and sent the rain flying from his thick coat of hair. The lightning and thunder had moved over the hilltops and the remaining clouds sneezed now and then. Beads of sweat dotted Mary’s brow, but goosebumps covered her arms when the icy drizzle splattered against them. Her tired body trembled with fear for her granddaughter and her ability to reach the McKinley ranch.

As the lights grew more prominent in the distance, Mary discovered a suitable stick along the way, and it became a cane, support for her weary, rain-soaked body. When she faltered, she spoke to the Lord, “Dear God, give me strength. Carry me if you must, but get me to the ranch for Annie’s sake. The poor sweet child needs help. And please send an angel to look over Faith in my absence. I ask nothing for myself except the chance to get help. In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, I thank you for all your goodness. Amen.”

As Sebastian and Mary reached the driveway, a last spurt of adrenaline sent her stumbling toward the house. Her aching bones and tired feet screamed at her madness and admitted defeat as she crumpled to the ground. Her moan was a mere whisper, “Somebody, please—” She gasped and, with her remaining breath, pleaded, “help me.”

Sebastian doubled back to Mary’s fallen figure and nuzzled her with his nose. She moaned, but didn’t respond to his attempt to rouse her. In dog fashion, he barked loud and clear, as if encouraging her to get up.

After a long day in the barn and talking with Darryl, Tango and Poppa were sipping a most welcomed beer and enjoying the peaceful aftermath of the storm. Tango’s chair balanced on its two back legs as he tipped it toward the house. Poppa chose the long lounger, and his massive body uncoiled against the pillows. Both men inhaled the fresh air and exhaled in a quiet rhythm.

Sebastion’s barking snapped them to attention, and they both sprang from the veranda. A newly installed motion detector lit the area around the gate as the men raced down the driveway. Tango reached Mary and Sebastion first. The dog seemed to sense the stranger meant no harm because his massive frame moved a few steps away.

“Poppa, she’s unconscious. Let’s get her inside.” Tango slipped his arms under Mary’s body, and a deep moan slipped through her lips. Sebastian’s low growl and stance set off a warning alarm in Tango’s head. The agent reached out his hand to the dog, allowing him to sniff it. “It’s okay, boy. We need to get her help.”

Poppa raced back to the house, yanked the door open, and called out to Garth and Hank. “We’ve got a woman who needs help. She’s unconscious.” He turned and sprinted across the walkway and down the driveway to his partner. Hank and Garth barreled out the doorway and followed close behind.

***************
Tango slipped his arms under Mary and lifted her off the wet gravel. From the corner of his eye, he watched for any sudden resistance from the dog. Confident that he’d accepted the help, Tango stood with her in his arms. Her matted hair covered part of her face as her head rested against Tango’s chest.

The three men crossed the rain-soaked grass through the rose bushes and into the lighted area where Tango stood with Mary in his arms. Sebastian barked as the men raced forward. Hank recognized Sebastian. “Hey, boy, it’s okay. Remember me?” He reached out his hand and petted Sebastian’s head. The St. Bernard wagged his tail and jumped around Hank’s feet.
Garth turned his attention to Tango and the woman. “Is she breathing?”

“Yeah, it’s low and raspy. I don’t see any wounds.” Tango’s eyes gave Mary a quick once over. “It was storming. Where did she come from?”

Hank stepped closer to Tango. “Her name’s Mary, and the dog is Sebastian. She’s from the cottage at the far north end. Get her inside. She would never have left the cottage unless something is wrong.”

“Tango, take her to the bunkhouse.” Garth looked at Hank. “Maybe this isn’t the best time for her to meet Liz. We need to fix one thing at a time.”

“Good thinking. Poppa, Darryl can take you to the cottage. Faith is very ill and shouldn’t be alone. I’m sure she’s beside herself with worry. She has a young daughter too.” Hank was shuffling pieces of the puzzle through his mind.

As Tango moved up the driveway, carrying Mary toward the bunkhouse in the barn, Sebastian barked. He pulled on Hank’s pant leg and then raced back down the driveway.

“Now, what’s wrong with the dog?” Poppa shook his head. “He’s acting mighty crazy.”

Sebastian raced back to Hank and shook his pant leg, barking and running down the drive. “I think he wants us to follow him. He’s trying to tell us something.”

**********
After showing Tango where to place Mary, Darryl ran down from the barn. “I’ve called Dr. Copeland. Maybe something was wrong with Faith, and Mary was looking for help. He’s on his way.”

“Quick thinking, Darryl. Sebastian’s determined for us to follow him. Maybe you and Poppa should give it a quick look before going to the cottage. Don’t take too much time, though. You need to get to Faith and Annie.”

“Poppa could follow Sebastian, and I can take my Jeep to the cottage. Just have to hope the storm didn’t wash out the road. If Faith’s okay, I can circle down the service road and work back toward Poppa.” The hairs on the back of Darryl’s neck still bristled at the thought of being alone with the agent after the grilling Poppa had given him earlier.

“Sounds like an excellent plan. Get going.” Garth looked at Hank and then at Sebastian. “He’s trying to tell us something. Maybe you should ride along. He seems to know you better.”

“Yeah, he might trust me a little more.” Hank dropped his gaze to his pant leg. “Emmy will not like those teeth marks.” Poppa pulled up with his SUV, Hank opened the door, and Sebastian lumbered inside, muddy paws and all. Hank climbed into the front seat, rolled down the windows, and Poppa headed down the driveway.

************
“Which way, Hank?”

“The cottage is to your left, so let’s assume that’s where Mary was coming from. Drive slow because we do not know what we’re going to find. I hope Sebastian will let us know where to stop.”

Poppa struggled to keep the SUV rolling at a snail’s pace. His norm was car chases and pinning the criminals between buildings and his vehicle. With their windows down, Poppa moved his spotlight along the roadside. Except for a few fallen branches, they saw nothing.

Sebastian whimpered and pushed his snout against Hank’s arm now and then but didn’t make any sign that they were near what he wanted to show them.

Poppa heaved a loud sigh. “Maybe there’s nothing out there. The dog could be excited or want to go home.”
“Maybe.” Hank hated to agree, but it was a possibility. “I think the property ends about another quarter of a mile. The service road that Darryl mentioned is down there.”

As they continued to creep along the road, Sebastian moved from one side of the vehicle to the other. As they neared the service road, he started a series of barks. They stopped the SUV and jumped out. Hank opened the rear door, and Sebastian charged into the trees, only to race back to Hank and bark again.

“Grab the big flashlights. The dog knows someone or something is out there.” Armed with their wide-beamed flashlights and guns, the two men raced after Sebastian.
************
 
“Hank, there looks like a light reflecting off the trees.”

“Yeah, and Sebastian is barking like crazy. I don’t see him anymore, but I hear him.”
“Be careful. I can’t see the dog. He must be in a hole or something.”

“Sebastian,” Hank called out the St. Bernard’s name. A man’s voice responded.

“I’m over here. In the ravine.” Sebastian bounded over the top of the ditch and raced to Hank’s side, barking. A small light bounced around against the surrounding trees.

“Okay, boy. Good dog. We’ll take it from here.” Hank ruffled Sebastian’s hair as the St. Bernard turned and disappeared into the deep ditch.

Poppa reached the ravine edge first. The bright beam of light exposed Michael lying against the rocks; his leg twisted like a pretzel. Hank caught up seconds later,

“Michael, is that you? Are you alright?” He holstered his gun. "It's the kid from across the street."

“Hank, it's my leg, but did Mary tell you about Annie?”

“Annie? You mean Faith?” Hank asked. “Mary was unconscious. Sebastian led us to you.” Poppa tucked his gun into his waistband and moved down the side of the ravine, attempting not to lose his footing.

“Hank, listen to me. Someone kidnapped Annie,” Michael yelled. “My cell won’t work. You need to call the police.”
“Are you sure?” Hank tried his cell, but it wouldn’t connect.

“I heard her scream Sebastian’s name, and then it went quiet. The next thing I heard was squealing rubber on the pavement as a vehicle raced away.”

“Poppa, I’m going back to the road. I might get better reception.”

***************
Poppa had left the headlights on, making it easier for Hank to find his way back to the road. At the road, he called Garth, who answered on the first ring.

“Garth!" Hank was winded, but he continued, "Someone kidnapped Annie. Michael is in a ravine with a broken leg.”

“Kidnapped? Are you sure?" Garth paused, "Never mind. We’ll notify the police and ambulance. Darryl said Faith was upset; otherwise, she’s good. I think he’s headed your way.”

“We’re by the service road. Can you send someone up to stay with Faith? She shouldn’t be alone.”

“I’ve got it covered. Darryl gave directions, and they left about ten minutes ago.” Garth sighed. “Tango called the police. Dr. Copeland is on his way, and an ambulance should roll in soon. The rain most likely did a number on any evidence, but have Poppa rope off the service road till we get some light. Can you think of anything else? Maybe Mary or Michael can fill in a few of the blanks.”

“When it rains, it pours around this place. I’ll get back as soon as I can.” Hank ended the call.










 

Summary... Cassidy is framed for murder. Allie goes undercover to protect Cassidy, but they are both stabbed. Cassidy's life is threatened again in the hospital, and she is pronounced dead (but actually in protective custody). Mason Caldwell runs many illegal businesses, including drugs and human trafficking. Jon, a priest and Cassidy's brother, has sold his soul. Mary, a caregiver, discovers her child she gave up for adoption thirty years ago. Cynthia and Michael are searching for gold on Liz's property. The mysterious woman (Faith) is dying from cancer and lives in a secret cottage with her daughter, Annie, Sebastion, and Mary. Darryl runs the winery, and Miguel is in charge of the vineyards. Garth and Hank are trying to solve the cases.



Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastion - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.