Supernatural Science Fiction posted August 23, 2021 Chapters:  ...77 78 -79- 80... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

The Biters

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. If you catch typos or mistakes, please point them out. Stay safe & enjoy!
As Lenny and the others neared the entrance to the facility, Jena raised her chin, nostrils flaring. The overwhelming scent of evil surrounded her. Then she cocked her wolfish head, listening to something the others couldn’t hear. “Dammit,” she said, her eyes steaming with rage. “Fiona’s in danger.”
 
Instantly, Manuel looked to Frank, his heart hammering, and nodded a silent understanding. Then, in unison, they whipped their guns from their holsters and kept pace with Lenny and Jena as they made their way inside.

The serious expressions on their faces alerted Drakon. And when he saw the two detectives reach for their weapons, he knew there was no time for questions. Quickly, he motioned toward the others and took off after Manuel and Frank. It wasn’t long before Jace, Jem, Nicolas, Roman, and Tim caught up with Drakon.

The minute they strode through the opening, they came upon the bodies of two security guards. They lay dead in pools of their own blood.

Lenny stood staring in utter disbelief. Then his eyes filled with anger.

“What the—” Jace spouted as he stepped in behind Drakon, taking in the gruesome scene. Going by the amount of blood coating the floor and the bodies, it appeared something very sharp had went to work on their throats.     

On instinct, the detectives raised their weapons, readying themselves as they cautiously surveyed the room.

Moments later, after finding the area vacant, sounds of scuffling, seemingly coming from the next room alerted their attention. Then, a faint muffled cry made the hairs on Lenny’s neck stand on end.

“Fiona,” he whispered, slowly inching toward a set of double doors. Earlier, Lenny had locked Dr. Henry Michaels behind those doors with two guards posted outside. Unfortunately, it had been the same two guards they’d just found dead.

Jena also heard the cries and moved alongside Lenny. She looked at him through narrowed eyes and gestured at the door. “Dr. Michaels has Fiona in there, doesn’t he?”

He nodded, briefly closing his eyes, trying to erase the thought of Henry hurting his own mother. But at this point, he’d come to realize Henry was completely mad.     

Suddenly, the doors burst open as Jena kicked with all her strength. The first thing they saw was Fiona, her eyes wide with terror. She was locked in the arms of her own son who held a knife to her throat.

Henry’s feral eyes shot forward, his gaze impaling Jena. In a split second, he recognized the wolfish creature who stood in the broken doorway. He instantly snarled his upper lip as flashbacks of her shooting him came to mind.

“Let her go,” said Jena, growling.

Manuel aimed his Glock, finger on the trigger. “Put the weapon down, Dr. Michaels!” 

Frank stood alongside his partner, his weapon drawn, still not believing his eyes. He couldn’t tell if the guy was even cognizant by the crazed look on his face, but then saw a flicker of recognition as he opened his mouth to speak.

“She must pay for her betrayal,” said Henry, glancing between the two detectives, his lips curled back in a malicious sneer.  
 
“Please, Henry." Fiona pleaded around her sobs. “Stop this madness.”  

“Shut up, Mother.”

“Listen to me, Henry,” said Lenny, taking a step closer, his hypnotizing gaze blazing like fire.

“Stop right there,” Henry warned, placing the edge of the blade up against the main artery of Fiona’s neck. “No tricks, or I swear...” He paused and glared at Lenny. “I’ll slit her throat from one end to the other. And you know as well as I do, my dear old friend,” he said through gritted teeth. “She doesn’t possess the power to heal in her weakened state.”

Frank slowly lowered his weapon, and said, “It’s all right, Dr. Michaels. Just take it easy.” His voice was calm, but inside he was a bundle of nerves, fearing the mad physician was on the verge of snapping. “What do you say we talk this through?” He took a step closer. “There’s no reason why anyone needs to get hurt.” 

“Get back!” Henry raised his voice. “I’m warning you!”

Fiona gasped as Henry dug the blade into her skin just enough to draw a few droplets of blood.

“Okay, okay,” said Frank, taking a cautious step back. “Just take a breather, Dr. Michaels.” He slowly raised a hand. “Please, calm down.”

“I’m done listening to you.” Jena stalked closer. “Let Fiona go or—”

“Or what?” Henry cut her off. “You’ll kill me?” He laughed, his eyes moving from Jena to Lenny. The deranged look in his eyes made the hairs on Lenny’s neck prickle. “If I die,” Henry continued, an eyebrow cocked, “you’ll never get that antidote.”  

Lenny stared at him in fury, realizing the physician was toying with him and in the pit of his gut, he knew there wasn’t much time left. And without the antidote, his kind, and Fiona for that matter, were doomed.

“I’d listen to Miss McCain,” Manuel spoke out, keeping his gun trained on the physician. “Let your mother go. If you kill her, I’ll make damn sure you never see the light of day. Look around. The odds are stacked against you, Dr. Michaels. Face it… you’re outnumbered.”

“Outnumbered?” Henry let out a cackle. “What makes you think I’m outnumbered?” he said in an exasperated tone. “I think you’ve underestimated me, Detective.” He looked to Lenny, his eyes glittering with insanity. “Surely, you didn’t think I wouldn’t be prepared for your little group of visitors, did you?”

“You’ve gone mad, Henry.” Lenny’s voice held a blend of anger and impatience. “There’s no one here to defend you. The rest of your guards have fled, the ones you haven’t already killed anyway.” 
 
“Is that so?” said Henry, his face shifting into a mask of amusement. “Well, about that…” his eyes trailed away, appearing to look past them. “Ladies,” he called.  

Out of nowhere, Jena caught a scent. It was the distinct pungent odor of evil and death. As it grew stronger, it evaded her senses enticingly. Then came a voice. A voice calling from within, rising her wolf hair as she listened closely. Evil creatures. Destroy them all! 

Distant giggling suddenly filtered from behind.

As everyone turned to look, several dark figures emerged from the shadows. The moment they moved closer, gliding across the floor like haunting phantoms, their pale, but youthful faces finally came into view.

Jena peeled back her wolfish lips and uttered a long low menacing growl, keeping her eyes trained on the vampirish creatures.

“What the hell?” Jace’s booming voice instantly halted the strange group of girls.

“They’re… Biters,” Lenny hesitantly said.

They all wore sleeveless dresses made of red chiffon, possessing a style between vintage and a gothic-chic fashion that accentuated their pale-white skin. Their bloodred eyes flared with hunger as they roamed over the occupants before them. There was at least a dozen of them, ranging between the ages of sixteen to eighteen, all similar with coal-black hair that hung past their shoulders in a tangled mess. As they peeled back their red-coated lips, strings of saliva dripped from their sharp-pointed teeth.

“What have you done, Henry?” Lenny’s voice shook with outrage.  

Henry started to laugh. “There is nothing more dangerous than a group of Biters that hasn’t fed in days.”

The thirsty teens, hissing like cobras, slowly stalked closer and closer.

Jena was in a rage. She stood her ground, claws fully extended, ready to spring.

“Lovely, aren’t they?” said Henry, grinning like a Cheshire cat. He focused his eyes on Lenny. “You didn’t think they were all extinct, did you?”

Lenny’s eyes, along with the others, looked befuddled. And worried. “How?” asked Lenny.

“I’m a scientist, remember?” Henry replied. “Where there is a need, there is a way. I think it’s rather genius. What do you think?”

“I think you’ve lost your damn mind,” said Lenny.

Henry smiled and called out, “Dinnertime, ladies.”
 
The physician’s words were like ringing a bell to an all-you-can-eat buffet as the vampirish girls rushed onward; fangs bared, hissing and growling. 

To be continued. . .




Artwork: Google/FaceBook

NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

Jena McCain - She is an inspiring artist with the ability to speak with the dead. Jena was attacked and bitten by an age-old creature and cursed with a lust for human blood. Now that she is to become the creature and hunt humans, instead of killing innocent people, she will only hunt evil.

Nicolas Ratcliff - He is immortal with the power of invisibility and supernatural speed. He works for the San Francisco Police Department as a detective. He�????�???�??�?�¢??s bonded with Jena McCain.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon. His bonded mate is Tessa Fairchild. He's an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and the council head of the California Covenant.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species and bonded to Cassie Chamberlain.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Dr. Henry Michaels - He is the head physician at Adam and Eve Pharmaceuticals hired by the government to perform unethical research on his own patients to create a new species.

Fiona - She is a hybrid vampire and Henry's mother.

Lenny (a.k.a. Leonard Saxton III)- He is a hybrid vampire who is desperate for a cure from a deadly virus that has infected him and his species.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.