Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 22, 2021 Chapters:  ...28 29 -30- 31... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Trouble strikes again

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 30

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.

As the sun cleared the top of the hills, Liz gazed out over the vineyard. Harvest time, called the crushing season, was fast approaching. In a few more weeks, workers would fill the fields, day and night. Touches of autumn color kissed the leaves of the vineyards and trees.  

“You’re up quite early this morning, Liz. Everything okay?” Lost in her thoughts, Darryl’s voice startled her.

“Oh, sorry, I guess I was daydreaming. I remember walking the vineyards with Jack. He’d be explaining why we had different grapes in different parts of the field. He was so proud of how much he had learned about the process.” Liz shook her head and sighed. “I guess I wasn’t a perfect student. I always thought he’d be here.”

“Jack was open to learning and improving the business.” Darryl chuckled and tapped the light pole beside him. “I thought he’d lost his mind when he had all these powerful stadium lights installed. I’d never heard of harvesting grapes at night.”

“You’re right, Darryl. I remember him telling me harvesting grapes at night produced a better wine. Something about the sugar levels.”

Liz plucked a bunch of white grapes from the vine. “They smell so good.” She popped one into her mouth and laughed. “Taste good too.”

“Yes, we’ll start harvesting this field first and then repeat the harvest in a few weeks. We crush the first grapes for the sparkling wines, and the second harvest will be for the white wines.”

“What about the red wines?”

“We harvest red grapes much later in the fall. The grapes need to remain on the vines longer. Jack has an experimental crop up in the hills. According to my great mentor, growing behind a hill or up in the fog-line will produce a dramatically unique flavor and scent. I can't wait to see."

“Good morning.” Liz and Darryl's heads snapped toward the voice. Mason Caldwell, with a folded towel in hand, approached them. “I know it’s early, but I had business out this way, and I thought I’d return your towel.” Mason surveyed the vineyard. “I hope it’s okay. I saw you and walked over. I didn’t see your guard dogs anywhere.”

Liz took the towel from Mason. “It’s kind of you to return it so soon. It wasn’t necessary.”

“I had business in this direction, anyway.”

“Can I offer you a cup of coffee? I am afraid it’s far too early for breakfast of any kind.”

“No need to go in the house, Liz. I have some brewing in my office.” Darryl’s eyes darted from Mason to Liz and toward the house. “Wouldn’t want to wake everyone.”

“Nonsense, Darryl. Mr. Caldwell has been so kind to return the towel; the least I can do is offer him a cup of coffee.”

Mason tipped his Stetson and smiled, “It’s Mason. And I would love to share a morning cup with you if it’s not too much bother.”

Darryl’s stomach churned as he watched them walk toward the house.

I don’t care what that man says, but I know this isn’t just an early morning neighborly call. He’s up to something.

************

He pulled his cell phone from his pocket and punched in a number. As the phone rang, he mentally apologized to Hank for disturbing him and Emmy.

“Hello.”

“Hank, it’s Darryl. Liz just invited Caldwell into the house for coffee.”

“Damn that woman.” Hank tossed back the duvet and pulled himself to a sitting position. “I’m on it.” 

“What’s happening, Hank?” Emmy yawned and rolled over to face her husband. “It’s too early.”

“Go back to sleep, Emmy.” He leaned back and gave her a quick peck on the lips. “Liz has Mason Caldwell in the house.”

Grabbing a pair of jeans and a shirt from the closet, he dressed and slipped on his shoes.

“I doubt he’d try anything right under your nose, Hank.”

“If I’ve learned anything, Mason Caldwell doesn’t drop in for morning coffee unless he’s up to something.”

***************

Darryl stood outside the barn, staring at the house. His gut told him something was wrong, but he didn’t know what. As he mulled over the possibilities, he turned toward the barn and work. The faint smell of wood-burning drifted in the air. At first, he ignored the smell but it seemed to get stronger.

Darryl stopped and inhaled. “Something’s burning!”

He spun around, surveying the land. He couldn’t see any smoke, but the pungent odor was stronger. His mind was racing as he ran toward the winery door. His forceful shove slammed the door against the wall.

For one second, Darryl stood paralyzed in fear. Red and amber flames climbed the back wall, like a fire-breathing dragon puffing at the ceiling and wine barrels. The open atrium door added oxygen to the fire. It registered in his mind, but he didn't have time to think about how it got unlocked.

With one hand, he sounded the fire alarm, sending a screeching beep-beep-beep across the ranch. With the other hand, he pulled the fire hose, another of Jack’s recommendations, from its box, turned the water spigot, and raced toward the flames.

A woman’s voice screamed from a bedroom. “The barn’s on fire.”

Hank raced down the hallway, through the kitchen, without acknowledging Liz or Mason, and into the courtyard. He could see Miguel, Tango and Poppa were ahead of him. A group of workers from the vineyard raced across the field toward the barn.

Once inside, the men grabbed CO2 extinguishers, fire blankets, and they connected two other hoses to the fire hydrants. Jack’s fire preparation and the quick reaction of the men soon had the fire under control. The charred wall and barrels nauseated the men.

Hank patted Darryl's shoulder. "It could have been worse. We were lucky."

"Lucky?" Darryl snapped. "Someone opened the atrium door, Hank. This wasn't an accident."


 

**************

Liz was frantic as she ran outside into the courtyard. Mason lingered for a moment, curious about the woman screaming, but Liz’s emotional breakdown required his attention. He hurried across the kitchen and wrapped his arm around her trembling shoulders.

“This place must be cursed.” Liz spat the bitter words. “I don’t think I can take much more.”

“I understand, Liz. So much has happened. Maybe the winery is too much for you.” Mason's sympathetic voice calmed her. “It was Jack’s dream, but it’s a big one for a fragile woman like yourself.”

Wrapped in a fluffy pink robe, Emmy overheard Mason’s remarks as she entered the courtyard.

“Oh, Liz, is the fire under control? I was admiring the beautiful morning when I saw the flames. I didn’t mean to scream so loud.”

Liz looked confused because Emmy and Hank’s bedroom faced the opposite direction. “But—”

With a mug of coffee in hand, Allie, dressed in turquoise silk pajamas, joined the group. “Yes, you’d make an awesome alarm clock, Emmy. Your voice was quite shrill.” She sat her coffee on the table and moved to hug her best friend, slipping her away from Mason. “It appears they have it under control, honey. Just a matter of some clean-up now. Don’t you worry about it.”

Emmy moved to the other side of Liz, blocking Mason from being able to be any closer.

“Maybe I should get out of everyone’s way. I have an appointment to attend.” Mason set his coffee on the table. “I’m sorry for the unfortunate events. Especially since harvest time is approaching.”

“I doubt it did that much damage.” Allie glared at Mason. “Jack prepared the winery in case of fires.”

“I hope you are right.” Mason directed his following comments to Liz. “Remember, if you decide it’s too much, I would certainly be interested in negotiating a fair deal with you.”  

“Thank you, Mason.” Liz slumped against Allie’s shoulder. “I’ll think about it.”

“Good day, ladies.” Mason headed for his car, grinning from ear to ear.

***************

Cynthia saw Mason walking down the driveway, and she rushed out to the road to greet him. “What’s happening? I could smell burning wood.”

“It’s unfortunate, but it seems they had a fire in the barn.” Mason flashed a grin at Cynthia. “Care to join me for breakfast?”

“Nothing, I’d like better.” Cynthia crossed the road and opened the car door. “I’ve got a few things to share with you.”

“Hmm—I always like it when you have a plan.” They climbed into his car as their laughter reached Michael’s ears.

He stood on the veranda and watched his aunt leave with Mason. “Interesting, Auntie. Very interesting.”








Summary... Cassidy is framed for murder. Allie goes undercover to protect Cassidy, but they are both stabbed. Cassidy's life is threatened again in the hospital, and she is pronounced dead (but actually in protective custody). Mason Caldwell runs many illegal businesses, including drugs and human trafficking. Jon, a priest and Cassidy's brother, has sold his soul. Mary, a caregiver, discovers her child she gave up for adoption thirty years ago. Cynthia and Michael are searching for gold on Liz's property. The mysterious woman (Faith) is dying from cancer and lives in a secret cottage with her daughter, Annie, Sebastion, and Mary. Darryl runs the winery, and Miguel is in charge of the vineyards. Garth and Hank are trying to solve the cases.




Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastion - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.