Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 21, 2021 Chapters:  ...27 28 -29- 30... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Hank shows Emmy the beauty of Napa Valley

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 29

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.

The sleek Cabriolet cruised the highway and back roads with ease. With the top-down, Emmy oohed and aahed as she savored the surrounding sites. She loved living by the beach in Alabama, but this was so different. The lush green rolling hills, the panoramic view of vineyards, the Napa River, and the wide-open spaces were breathtaking.

Hank slowed the car as he rounded a curve. He turned onto a gravel road. “Give me a second to open the gates, Emmy. You are about to enter paradise.”

“This whole countryside is beyond what I imagined, Hank. No wonder Jack moved here.”

Hank gave himself an extra push and stepped out of the Mercedes. “I know, Emmy. This old man needs to lose a few pounds.”

Hank laughed and headed for the gate. He slipped the bolt from its locked position, swung the metal bars open, and returned to the car. As he settled himself behind the steering wheel, he leaned over and kissed Emmy. “Every time I look at you, I remind myself what a lucky guy I am.”

“I love you too, but I am starving. Can we eat first?” Emmy laughed and punched his arm with her balled fist. “The diet starts tomorrow.”

Hank drove the short distance through the wooded area. As the Mercedes cleared the tree line, Emmy squealed with delight.

“Oh, Hank, this is awesome.” Huge puffs of fluffy clouds drifted above their heads while the sun painted the valley with its golden rays. Several colorful hot air balloons floated in the distance. The sound of a steam engine’s whistle echoed between the hills as it carried tourists through the scenic valley, stopping now and then so people could tour the vineyards and taste the wine.

“I’ll grab a blanket from the trunk if you will bring our lunch, please.”

After enjoying their leisurely lunch, Hank and Emmy stood near the cliff’s edge, looking out over the valley and Sweet Haven. Emmy sat on a small boulder, and Hank chose a larger one nearby.

“The large cluster of buildings on the far left is Sweet Haven. Besides the McKinley home, there’s the winery barn and several equipment buildings. Darryl is building an atrium. It was to be Jack’s surprise for Liz. He planned on opening the winery for tours.”

“Oh, that would be lovely. It could bring in extra income as well. I still can’t believe Jack is dead. How’s Liz doing?”

“It’s difficult to tell. Liz doesn’t open up too much to me. But Allie and Cassidy are at the ranch now, and of course, you’ll be there to help her.”

“Has anyone told her yet about Faith?”

“There hasn’t been the right time yet. I wanted to see Mary and talk with her first. She does not know that Liz is her other daughter. It’s going to be a shock to everyone.”

“What a shame that Faith is so ill. Someone needs to tell Liz before she loses the chance to meet her sister. Do you have any idea how much time she has left?”

“No, I didn’t get to meet her the day I was at the cottage. She wasn’t feeling well and was napping.”

“Don’t wait too long, Hank. I know a lot is going on with the murders and whatever Garth is working on, but you want Mary and the two girls to have some time together.”

“There’s Annie, too. That’s Faith’s daughter. Darryl says Cynthia is asking questions about the child. Jack was afraid their lives were in danger, so he kept their existence a secret. I’m afraid it might unravel.”

“All the more reason to tell Liz.”

Hank squinted into the sun and then pointed toward the furthest hills to the north. "Their cottage is on the other side of the lake, set way back in a valley among the mountains. There’s an entrance to the land, but it hasn’t been used in years, so the drive is overgrown with tall grasses. Dr. Copeland uses Sweet Haven’s gravel road to get to his patient once a week."

A gentle breeze ruffled Emmy’s hair, and she took a deep breath. “This is so stunning, Hank. I can imagine a rustic cabin nestled in the trees and drinking our morning coffee on the deck, listening to the babble of the stream.”

“What? You. Emmy Armato, contemplating a move from Gulf Shores and all the high society girls. Never!”

“I’m just saying it sounds heavenly. We’re not getting any younger, Hank. Neither of us enjoys the fast lane anymore.”

“My dear wife, you never cease to amaze me.” Hank stood and pulled her into his arms. They shared a long lingering kiss, and then he hugged her tight. Hank sighed. “I’d love to stay here all day, but I think we should get back to the ranch. It’s a busy day for Darryl, and Garth had business in town.”

“I’m eager to meet everyone too.” Emmy gathered up the blanket and the leftover lunch containers. “We’ve talked about everyone so much that I feel like I already know them. Now I’d like to put faces to the names.”

“Okay, pretty lady, let’s get a move on then.” Hank took everything from Emmy’s hands. “I’ll toss these in the trunk.”

A few dark clouds were moving in as they climbed into the Mercedes. “I feel a few raindrops. Better put the top up to be on the safe side. The clouds turn into sudden downpours with no notice.”

Only a few minutes later, Hank’s prediction came true. What started as pitter-patter on the car’s roof turned into heavy buckets. The sudden drop in temperature caused the windows to fog. Hank pulled off the road and parked the car under the branches of an enormous tree.

“Think it will be safer if we wait the storm out. These afternoon rains rarely last long.”

Hank tuned the radio to Sirius XM 70, the love channel. The voices of the Righteous Brothers oozed from the Bose speakers. “Time can do so much. Are you still mine? I need your love. I need your love. God speed your love to me—”

Emmy reached across the console and took Hank’s hand in hers as the two of them harmonized together. At the end of the song, with her eyes glistening, she smiled and said, “I’m so glad I’m here with you.”

Hank leaned across and kissed her soft lips. “Me, too.”

************

The rainwater ran like a small stream down the driveway into the street. The sudden cloudburst caught everyone by surprise. Cynthia ran for home, and Liz hurried to the veranda. Tango and Poppa had water streaming down their faces. A bolt of lightning crackled across the dark clouds, followed by a loud rumbling of thunder.

Mason Caldwell jogged through the gate toward the house. His clothes were clinging to his body from the downpour. Without hesitation, Tango leaped from the veranda onto the walkway, blocking his approach.

“This is private property. The sign says no trespassing.”

“I apologize, but I have a flat tire, and I’m not getting any reception on my cell phone. I just wanted to call for a tow.” Mason looked from Tango to Liz, who was still standing on the veranda.

“I’m Mason Caldwell, ma’am. I was hoping to use your phone.”

Liz looked at Tango and Mason as the rain poured off their bodies. “Tango, come out of the rain. Mr. Caldwell, you can come on the veranda as well.”

“My orders—” Tango sputtered under Liz’s stare.

“Tango, I own this property, and I suggest everyone get out of the rain. Standing on the veranda will harm no one. I’m sure everyone will understand.”

 "Yes, ma’am. If you say so.”

Tango glared at Mason but allowed him to pass. Poppa moved to block the screen door. Having heard voices, Allie came to the door and saw the drenched men. “I’ll get some towels.” She retreated inside, and Poppa resumed his position.  

“Nice place. Lots of work, though.” Mason surveyed as much of the surroundings as Tango would allow him to see. “Quite the spread.”

Allie returned with a stack of bath towels and handed one to each of the men. Mason’s dark eyes stared at her before saying, “Thank you.” He ruffled his hair with the towel and then wiped his face and arms. “I appreciate your kindness, Mrs. McKinley. I want to extend my condolences for your loss.”

“Thank you, Mr. Caldwell.”

“Liz, were you cooking something? I thought I smelled something burning. Maybe you should check on it.” Allie opened the door.

The delivery truck rumbled down the driveway and stopped in front of the house. Miguel rolled down the truck window. “Just letting you know I’m heading out to San Diego, ma’am. Got another shipment going out.” He glanced toward Mason and then back to the porch. “Hope this rain lets up soon.”

“Miguel, if you’re going through town, would you mind if I hitched a ride? I’ve got a flat tire,” Mason inquired. "I'm sure your mother would like to say a quick hello to her son."

“Sure, it’s no problem. Hop in.”

Mason draped the towel over his shoulders. “Thank you, Mrs. McKinley. I’ll borrow your towel if you don’t mind. I will get it back to you. Maybe you can show me more of your winery when it’s not raining.” Mason walked to the step and then turned back to Liz. “I’m always interested in buying property, especially one’s with thriving businesses attached. Let me know if you’re interested in selling.”

Before Liz could respond, Allie snapped, “She’s not!” She stepped closer to Mason and smiled. “You shouldn’t keep Miguel waiting. He’s got a long trip in front of him.”

“Yes, you’re right.” He slipped the towel over his head and ran toward the truck.

***********

Climbing into the passenger seat, Mason winked.  “Thanks for the lift, Miguel.”

“No problem, boss.” He rolled up his window, put the truck in gear, and rumbled out of the driveway. “Glad I could help.”

"What's with the bodyguards?"

"I heard Mrs. McKinley was afraid now that Jack's gone." Miguel smiled at Mason.

"Maybe, we might have to scare her a little more."  Both men laughed as the windshield wipers slapped the rain.








Summary... Cassidy is framed for murder. Allie goes undercover to protect Cassidy, but they are both stabbed. Cassidy's life is threatened again in the hospital, and she is pronounced dead (but actually in protective custody). Mason Caldwell runs many illegal businesses, including drugs and human trafficking. Jon, a priest and Cassidy's brother, has sold his soul. Mary, a caregiver, discovers her child she gave up for adoption thirty years ago. Cynthia and Michael are searching for gold on Liz's property. The mysterious woman (Faith) is dying from cancer and lives in a secret cottage with her daughter, Annie, Sebastion, and Mary. Darryl runs the winery, and Miguel is in charge of the vineyards. Garth and Hank are trying to solve the cases.



Recognized





Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastion - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.