Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 20, 2021 Chapters:  ...26 27 -28- 29... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Emmy and Hank unite while Cynthia snoops

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 28

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.

Hank steered the Mercedes through the downtown area of Hayden and pointed out different places that might interest Emmy. “Matty’s is a trendy boutique. I’ve heard Liz mention a time or two. And Kate’s café serves a steaming cup of coffee.” As they drove past the church, Hank observed a Sweet Haven truck exiting the parking lot. “Now that’s strange.”

“The delivery truck leaving the church?” Emmy questioned. “What’s so strange about that?”

“Probably nothing, but the truck belongs to the winery. It’s Tuesday, and Miguel should deliver barrels to the barn, and he has a long trip to San Diego afterward with a shipment of wine.”

Emmy laughed. “Just can’t shut off that detective brain of yours, now, can you? You’re always suspecting someone of something.”

“I suppose you are right. There could be many legitimate reasons for Miguel to stop at the church.” Hank pulled over to the curb. “Are you hungry? We could grab lunches-to-go and have a picnic on the way to the ranch.”

“That sounds lovely. I would enjoy a little more time with you before we get back into work mode. Not that you ever leave it.” Emmy reached across the console and squeezed his hand.

Hank leaned over and kissed his wife’s lips. “Have I told you how much I love you?”

“Not in the last five minutes. I never get tired of hearing it though.” Emmy returned the kiss. “Now go get us some lunch. I’m starving.”

Hank peeled himself from the car’s bucket seat. “Yes, ma’am. I’ll be right back.” He hurried inside Fresh To Go and ordered a giant pastrami sandwich for himself and a chicken salad croissant for Emmy. While waiting for the sandwiches, he chose a small fruit and cheese tray from the cooler and added bottled water and chips to the order.

He paid the clerk, handed Emmy the food through her window, and settled back into the driver’s seat. “I know the perfect spot for our picnic. You ready?”

“It’s your chariot. Whisk me away.” She squeezed Hank’s hand and smiled. “I’ll follow you anywhere, my love.”

************

While Allie kept Cassidy company, Liz enjoyed the quiet time by reading in the rose garden. Thousands of roses, some budding, others in full bloom, filled the sanctuary with their beauty and fragrant aroma. Her thoughts refused to remain focused on the book she’d chosen to read. A mystery novel by James Patterson failed to hold her attention today. She’d read the first paragraph three times. Closing the book, she set it aside.

Her thoughts drifted to better times when she’d sat in the garden with Jack. He often buried his nose in a book on wine and vineyards, occasionally stopping to draw her into his arms and kiss her affectionately. He understood her misgivings about moving to Napa Valley, leaving her busy lifestyle behind. She’d supported his dream, and he wanted her to realize she was an essential part of that vision.

“Oh, my darling, Jack, I know how much you loved Sweet Haven and the aspirations you had for its success. But you’re gone now, and regardless of my desire to fulfill those goals, I’m not sure I can without you at my side.” Sadness dulled the sparkle in her eyes as they misted over with tears. “So many are interested in the vineyard. Maybe they would do it more justice than I could accomplish. Darryl would be heartbroken, of course. The two of you made quite a bond. With a good word from us, well, me, the new owner might offer Darryl a position. I’ve leaned on you so much, and now I’m floundering without your direction. I need you, Jack.” The tears spilled over the rims of her eyes and trailed down her cheeks.

Liz sniffed and wiped away her tears. Trouble was brewing on the front lawn, and she recognized Cynthia’s voice.

***********

“Don’t start with me again, Bruiser.” Cynthia snarled. “You’d think you’d learn your lesson by now. Slow learner, I guess.”

“No, ma’am. I have my orders. No one, not you, your nephew, or anyone, may enter through those gates.”

“That’s utter nonsense. I’ve been coming through those gates for as long as I can remember.” Cynthia peered around Poppa’s massive shoulders, hoping for a glimpse of Liz inside. She decided on another approach. “I have freshly baked chocolate chip cookies.” She waved one of the small trays under Poppa’s nose. “I’ll give you a tray and then give the other tray to Liz.”

“Though the cookies are tempting, I just can’t let you do that.”

“Damn you, you’re getting my dander up.” Failing to sidestep him, she yelled as loud as she could. “Liz. Liz, could you call off the dogs, please? I baked a fresh batch of cookies for you, and this maniac won’t let me give them to you.”

“I’m sorry. Mrs. McKinley wasn’t expecting company.” Poppa tried to remain calm, though he wanted to squeeze her skinny neck.

“How many times do I have to tell you I am not company? She needs me since Jack died. What’s some bruiser like you going to do for her?”

Liz stepped through the garden gate, so she was visible to Poppa and Cynthia. “It’s okay, Poppa. She can join me in the garden.”

Cynthia tossed a “told you so” smirk in Poppa’s direction and marched off to join Liz.

A loud rumble of laughter erupted from Tango as he relaxed in the lounge chair.

“You could have helped, you know. That woman is crazy!” Poppa reclaimed his lounge chair beside Tango.

“Not a chance. That was the best show in town. I think she was ready to take you on in a rematch.”

“Shut up. Next time the woman is all yours.”

***********************************

“I brought you some freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. Jack used to love my cookies.” Cynthia placed the tray on a side table before she noticed Liz’s red-rimmed eyes. “Oh, sweetie, how inconsiderate of me to mention Jack. I am so sorry.”

Liz managed a lop-sided smile. “It’s okay, Cyn.”

“Why don’t I pop into the kitchen and get us two glasses of iced tea. Would you like that?” Cynthia turned toward the house.

“No!” Liz’s sharp response caught Cynthia off guard. She stopped and stared at her neighbor, a bit in shock. Liz recovered first, adding, “I’ll get the beverages. You’re the visitor. It’s my place to wait on you.”

“Nonsense! I can do it. It’s no bother at all.”

“Cynthia, I thought I heard voices out here.” Allie exited the house carrying a tray with three glasses of iced tea. “I smelled those cookies, but the guys refused to share them with me.” She set the tray down and snatched a cookie. “Yummy! These are the best. Maybe you could show me your recipe sometime.” Allie licked the chocolate from her lips.

“It’s a secret family recipe.” Cynthia handed Liz a glass of tea and took one for herself, settling herself next to Liz. “I didn’t think you were the baking kind, Allie.”

“One should always try to broaden their horizons.” Allie took a bite out of another cookie. “And these are so delicious.”

“Well, I’ve delivered the cookies, so I suppose I should get back home and see what Michael is doing.” She stood to leave, kissing the top of Liz’s head. “Take care of yourself, Liz. I’m sure Allie will whip up a meal or two for you.” She chuckled, “Isn’t that right, Allie?”

Cynthia moved to the garden entrance and stopped. “Oh, I almost forgot. Do you know anything about a young girl and a dog running around by the trails? I mentioned it to Darryl, but he wasn’t aware of it.”

Allie muffled a cough as she choked on the cookie. She grabbed her glass of tea and swallowed. “A young girl? I’ve not seen anyone. Maybe she’s the daughter of one of Miguel’s workers.”

Cynthia knows about the cottage. This can’t be good.

“Yeah, that’s what Darryl said too.” Cynthia waved and left the garden.

“Our neighborhood snoop.”

“Allie, be nice.” Liz took a bite out of a cookie. “That was a great save on your part. She was determined to go into the house.”

“Like I said, she’s a bloodhound on the trail.”








Summary... Cassidy is framed for murder. Allie goes undercover to protect Cassidy, but they are both stabbed. Cassidy's life is threatened again in the hospital, and she is pronounced dead (but actually in protective custody). Mason Caldwell runs many illegal businesses, including drugs and human trafficking. Jon, a priest and Cassidy's brother, has sold his soul. Mary, a caregiver, discovers her child she gave up for adoption thirty years ago. Cynthia and Michael are searching for gold on Liz's property. The mysterious woman (Faith) is dying from cancer and lives in a secret cottage with her daughter, Annie, Sebastion, and Mary. Darryl runs the winery, and Miguel is in charge of the vineyards. Garth and Hank are trying to solve the cases.




Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastion - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.