Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 19, 2021 Chapters:  ...25 26 -27- 28... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Putting the Pieces Together

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 27

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.

“That’s quite a burden, Darryl has been carrying around.” Garth swirled the caramel liquid around in the highball glass while Hank poured the bourbon into two glasses. “Any idea where we begin?”

Hank raised the glass to his lips and inhaled the bourbon’s aroma. “Jack always had a taste for the fine stuff.” He smiled, tipped his glass toward Garth’s, and toasted his best friend. “Here’s to you, Jack.”

“He sure stumbled into a beehive when he bought this property.” Garth sipped the bourbon and studied the frown on Hank’s face. “Any idea what made him suspect the relationship between Faith and Liz? Seeing the birth certificate and adoption papers wouldn’t have been enough to make a leap like that, I don’t think.”

“No, but maybe Faith or the Cranstons' lawyers told him something we don’t know.” Hank scowled. “Liz needs to know, but I’d sure like some more information before we tell her.”

“Yeah, it’s going to rock her world again. Learning her twin sister is dying of cancer is going to be a bitter pill to swallow.” Garth swallowed hard. “Every day, Katherine slipped a little further away, and I knew there was nothing I could do but watch. I don’t wish that on anyone, especially Liz, after losing Jack only weeks ago.”

“I’m wondering about Caldwell. Why the special interest in owning Sweet Haven? He doesn’t strike me as someone interested in working the land. Especially harvesting grapes and making wine. He goes more for the finished product, I think.”

“I wonder if he wanted the land bad enough to commit murder. If so, not only is Cassidy’s life in jeopardy but so are Liz and Faith. Or are we off track, and could there be someone else involved?” Both men sipped the bourbon and sat in quiet contemplation.

Darryl wiped the sweat from his brow as he hurried into the atrium. “Glad to see you started without me.” He chuckled and raised the drink to his mouth, swallowing and enjoying the burn as it traveled down his throat. “Wow, Jack sure knew how to pick’em.”

The three men raised their glasses and repeated, “To Jack.”

“Sorry, I skipped out on you, but some of us have a schedule to follow. It’s Tuesday. Miguel will bring another shipment of barrels. I thought I better notify Tango before the truck arrived. The outgoing shipment is waiting in the cooler, so everything’s set to go.”

Darryl walked over to a stainless-steel cooler, opened it, and surveyed its contents. “Got some cheese and salami.” He picked up the tray and closed the door. “And there’s a box of crackers sitting over here. It’s not a feast, but I hope it will do.”

He placed his bounty on the table, and all three men devoured the appetizers.

Hank brushed the crumbs from his mouth with his fingers, swallowed the last of his bourbon, and stared at Darryl. “Okay, son, what other bombs are you going to drop?”

“Remember the old map in Jack’s papers?”

“Yeah, you said you’d never seen it before.” Hank poured another glass of bourbon and raised his eyebrow and the bourbon bottle, questioning if either man wanted anymore. Both shook their heads no. “The map didn’t look very significant to me.”

“That’s where you’re wrong. Jack uncovered an old mining site on the north end of the property, near the lake. It’s buried in the hillside beneath mounds of dirt, overgrown underbrush, and trees.”

“Jack found a gold mine? Is it worth anything?” Hank sounded surprised. “He never said anything to me.”

“To investigate further, he’d have had to bring in heavy equipment and a team of men. He told me if there was gold, it wasn’t going anywhere. Not after all these years, anyhow. He didn’t want to disrupt Faith’s remaining days. Can you imagine people’s reactions if they learned about the gold mine? The vineyard was all that mattered to Jack. He didn’t want the land trampled and mutilated by unlawful trespassers. His fears were about Faith and Annie’s safety and privacy. He worried about her illness and being women out there alone.”

“Speaks highly of his character. I don’t know if I could have ignored the gold.” Garth shook his head. “So as long as we don’t tell anyone, things should remain safe.”

“Unfortunately, I believe it might be too late. Cynthia made one of her daily visits this morning.” Darryl chuckled as he recalled the battle between Poppa and the woman.

“How’d that woman get past Tango and Poppa?” Garth growled. “What’s happening with my team? Can’t even manage a simple job of keeping an old woman at bay.” Garth slammed his glass against the table, splattering a few drops of bourbon.

“Slow down, Garth. Your men were on top of it. They didn’t expect a chicken fight from Cynthia. When that woman sets her mind to something, look out! I had to break the two apart, or Poppa might have done harm to our neighbor.”

“That woman’s a burr on my side,” Hank snapped. “Snooping around all the time.”

“She’s cagey, too. Tried to hide behind her work. Said she was drafting a research paper for the mayor about the gold rush days around 1850. She even told me she’d found a tattered map, a copy of the one Jack had.”

“Well, that’s not so bad. We keep Cynthia and her nephew off the land, so they don’t stumble over the mine shaft.” Garth smiled. “Sounds like Poppa wouldn’t mind catching her trying to trespass.”

“There’s more.” Darryl pursed his lips and continued, “She asked if I knew of any new people with kids living around here. She said Michael saw a little girl and a dog. I told her one of Miguel’s workers might have a kid. Not sure she bought it, though.”

“Any other ticking bombs you are aware of, Darryl?” Hank checked his watch. “Emmy’s plane is due in about an hour. I need to get to the airport.”

“I think I’ve told you everything. I’ve got to get ready for Miguel anyhow.” Darryl cleared the table. “Bet you are excited to see Emmy. Watch that heart of yours; don’t overwork it.” Darryl laughed and walked away.

***************

As the wheels of Emmy’s airplane touched the runway, she texted Hank. “I’m here. Can’t wait to see you.”

Hank had parked his car across the street. He’d raced through the underground tunnel, taking the escalator stairs two at a time. Now, he paced impatiently at the baggage center, waiting for his lovely wife. He strained his neck to see over the crowded walkway.

“Hank.” Her face glowed as she waved and called to Hank.

The sound of her honeyed voice was music to Hank’s ears. He spotted her maneuvering through the crowd, waving. Approaching 50, Emmy was at the point where some would say her age was encroaching on her incredible looks, but to Hank, she was stunning. She still wore the trendy styles and got away with them. Emmy wore her long blonde hair in a tight bun. She wore a tailored black pantsuit with a turquoise silk blouse, matching high heels, and a scarf around her neck.

Her beauty mesmerized Hank. She dropped her tweed carry-on bag and ran into his arms. Their unabashed kiss was long and amorous. They lingered in their embrace, neither wanting to let go, while other passengers skirted around them with their baggage.

“Oh, Emmy, I hadn’t realized how much I’d missed you.” He lifted her chin with his finger and stared into her sparkling eyes. “Girl, I am so glad you are here.”

Emmy laughed. “Bet you tell that to all the girls when I’m not around.”

“Not a chance. I haven’t ever seen one as beautiful as you.” He kissed her nose. “Come on, Mrs. Armato, before we have to check into one of the airport hotel suites.”

Laughing, Emmy pointed out her suitcase on the turnstile. “You mean the brown tweed one with the embroidered Emmy across the front. I would never have guessed.” He lifted the suitcase and groaned, “Did you pack our entire house in this thing?”

“Oh, you know me, honey, I can never decide what I want to wear.” Emmy's eyes sparkled and her grin was contagious.

“Nothing would be fine with me.” He patted her backside and grinned. “What? I can’t help I’m married to the sexiest woman in the world.”

“You have missed me! I’m not complaining, but we better get out of here before they arrest us for an indecent display of affection.”

Walking side by side, smiling and laughing, Hank and Emmy headed for the car.







Summary... Cassidy is framed for murder. Allie goes undercover to protect Cassidy, but they are both stabbed. Cassidy's life is threatened again in the hospital, and she is pronounced dead (but actually in protective custody). Mason Caldwell runs many illegal businesses, including drugs and human trafficking. Jon, a priest and Cassidy's brother, has sold his soul. Mary, a caregiver, discovers her child she gave up for adoption thirty years ago. Cynthia and Michael are searching for gold on Liz's property. The mysterious woman (Faith) is dying from cancer and lives in a secret cottage with her daughter, Annie, Sebastion, and Mary. Darryl runs the winery, and Miguel is in charge of the vineyards. Garth and Hank are trying to solve the cases.




Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastion - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.