Supernatural Science Fiction posted August 16, 2021 Chapters:  ...76 77 -78- 79... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

The Stranger is a Vampire

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. If you catch typos or mistakes, please point them out. Stay safe & enjoy!
Previously. . .

Tim cleared his throat. “Let’s see what your friend has to say. I’m curious to find out why he’s here and what he wants. And I’m hoping he’s not assisting Dr. Michaels.”

“Well…,” Nicolas’s gaze flickered to Lenny. “He’s waiting. Let’s go find out.”

“Wait a minute.” Jace stopped Nicolas by putting a hand over his shoulder. “Before we go talk to this guy, I want to know how you kill one of those bloodsuckers.”

“There are only three things that can kill a vampire. Sunlight, starvation, and beheading.”

“What happened to the wooden stake to the heart?” asked Jace. “And holy water, crosses, or silver?”

“That’s all just a myth,” Nicolas replied.

“So,” said Jace, jabbing a thumb in Lenny’s direction. “If your friend over there starts some shit, you’re saying since there’s no sunlight down here, we’ll have to lop off his head in order to kill the bastard?”

“Since he’s a hybrid, yes,” said Nicolas. “Beheading will destroy his kind.”

Jace was liking Nicolas more and more. He deviously smiled at him. “Good. To. Know.”    
 
Continued. . . 
 
As Nicolas and the others approached, a smile stretched across Lenny’s mouth and for a moment, he said nothing, just stared up at Jena’s wolfish creature with those piercing, bloodred eyes. He was fascinated and intrigued by her instinctive features. Although Jena was indeed captivating, she was also the most terrifying creature he’d ever laid eyes on. Then, before Nicolas could utter a single word, Lenny quickly averted his eyes and looked to Nicolas with an extended hand.

“Nicolas Ratcliff…” His voice was cultured, satiny, laced with a distinguished tone. “It’s very nice to see you again. How have you been all these years, my dear friend?”

Nicolas took hold of Lenny’s hand, noticing how frail and pallid his face appeared. Paler than he remembered. So pale, he could see the blue webbed veins beneath his skin.

“Fine, thank you.” He dipped his head. “And you?”

“Ah.” Lenny smiled again, flashing his ivory fangs. “I’ve seen better days, but please, let’s discuss the matter shortly. First, I’d very much like to meet your companions.”

Lenny released Nicolas’s hand and looked to the group crowding him. “Once again, let me introduce myself,” he said with a bow. “My name is Leonard Saxon III, but please, call me Lenny.”

Tim stepped forward before Nicolas had the chance to introduce everyone. “I don’t mean to come across as rude,” said Tim, “but I have a few questions to get out of the way before we start a formal introduction.”

Lenny nodded. “Of course.” He showed his palms, shrugging. “Mister…?”

“It’s Ross. Tim Ross.”

“Ah, yes.” His smile flashed brighter. “How may I be of service, Mr. Tim Ross?”

“Nicolas has explained a bit of your history and the friendship you two share,” Tim began, “and we are aware that you’re a vampire. Although, that’s not what concerns me.”

“Oh?” Lenny raised a brow. “How fascinating, considering you’re a Breedline. But please do tell, Mr. Ross. What are you concerned about?”

Tim cleared his throat. “I’m most interested in the reason why you are here? Are you affiliated with Adam and Eve Pharmaceuticals or Dr. Michaels?”

Lenny straightened, his brow arching further. “Yes, I’m aware of Dr. Henry Michaels. And you can rest assured. I am not affiliated with this dreadful establishment nor am I in cahoots with the insidious doctor and all his unethical research. He is simply helping me find an antidote.”

“An antidote?” asked Tim. “For what?”

“For my companions and I.” Lenny’s smile faded. “You see, Mr. Ross, I have been undead for more than two centuries. I’m sure Nicolas has explained the details.” He looked to Nicolas with a friendly smile and then back to Tim. “There are not many of my kind left. Our race is dying.”

“Dying?” Nicolas exclaimed, his face a mask of shock. “But… how can this be?”

“A virus,” said Lenny. “A vampire virus of sorts.” His tone was downcast. “And one we cannot heal from. I do not know where it originated from, but it’s slowly taking its toll, until I’m afraid, we haven’t much time.”

Nicolas’s heart sank. “Amelia and August…” He gasped. “Are they—”

“They’re still alive.” Lenny visibly swallowed. “But time is running out.”

“I’m so sorry, Lenny. Is there anything we can do?”

“Yes. That’s why I’m—” 

“I don’t mean to sound unsympathetic,” Tim cut in, “but I need to ask you a very important question, Lenny.”

Lenny’s bloodred gaze flickered to Tim. “Of course.”

“How did you find out about Dr. Michaels?”

“Through his mother, Miss Fiona.”

Jena’s blood turned thick. “Fiona?” she blurted. “Are you saying Dr. Michaels is Fiona’s son?”

“Yes,” said Lenny. “Miss Fiona is the one who brought me and my companions here.”

“But how can that be?” Jena tilted her wolfish head. “Fiona doesn’t look old enough—”

“Miss Fiona is a vampire,” Lenny abruptly said. “She lived as a housekeeper for my companions for years. In 1965, she was at her death bed after giving birth to Henry, so I turned her. Granted, our kind had promised your ancestors we’d never again turn another human, but I couldn’t bear the thought of the babe growing up without a mother. To make matters worse, Fiona had already a toddler to tend to. And the father, the rotten bastard, fled the moment he learned of her pregnancy. Anyway, after I turned her, she was very grateful for what I had done and vowed someday that she would find a way to repay me for saving her life. As time passed, her son Henry, grew up, and with my companions funding, went off to study medicine. Although he kept in contact with Fiona over the years, I believe he only did it for the money. Henry was a very selfish child, and I see things haven’t changed. Then, when the virus began and continued to worsen, Fiona contacted Henry. Since he was a physician, she hoped he could find a cure. That’s when he asked us to come to this place.”   
      
“Is Fiona… okay?” Jena’s guttural voice was reluctant.

“Miss Fiona is like me, not as ill as the others, but time is not on our side.” Then Lenny looked at Jena in question. “May I ask how you know her?”

“Fiona was the one who freed me.”

Everyone was speechless and Lenny continued to look puzzled.

“Freed you?” asked Lenny, who seemed torn between bewilderment and intrigue. “From where?”

“Here!” said Jena. “Dr. Michaels had me kidnapped.” Her words came out angry. “Apparently, he wanted me for some type of research. Most likely, the same thing that he’s done to his own children. But before he could get his paws on me, Fiona came to my rescue and set me free.”

Nicolas glanced at Lenny. His bloodred gaze appeared duller now. He looked dispirited like something weighed heavily on his mind.    

“That’s why we’re here,” Nicolas spoke out, grasping Lenny’s attention. “To put an end to the physician’s madness and to shut this place down. I’m not sure if you realize, but the things he’s done goes beyond unethical. Not only has he turned his own flesh and blood into monsters, he’s used his own patients, against their will, for ungodly experimentations. We’ve been forced to kill them in self-defense. And I know you, Lenny. You’re not the kind of person who would turn a blind eye to such atrocity.”

“Yes.” Lenny sighed, looking pain stricken. “I was recently made aware of the doctor’s detestable behavior. And I promise, he will be punished for his crimes, but—”

“I believe we’ll be in charge of that,” Manuel interjected, flashing his badge. “My partner and I are here to arrest Dr. Michaels.”

“I’m sorry,” said Lenny, “but I don’t believe we’ve had the pleasure.”

“I’m Detective Sanchez, and this is my partner,” he said, gesturing at Frank, “Detective Perkins. Dr. Henry Michaels is wanted by the FBI. We’ve got a warrant for his arrest.”

Lenny’s brows drew together. “I’m sorry, Detective Sanchez, but I cannot let that happen. If you arrest Dr. Michaels, my companions and I will surely parish. He is the only one who can produce the antidote.” He averted his eyes from the Detective and looked up at Jena. “This is why I’ve come to meet you, Miss McCain. My life, Fiona’s, and my loved ones, and what’s left of my race, rest solely in your hands.”  
    
“I don’t understand?” Jena shook her head. “What does this have to do with me?”

Lenny tried to figure out where to begin. “Your blood,” he said. “Or might I say the blood of the immortal creature you bestow. It has the power to cure the virus. And we need Dr. Michaels. He’s the only person who can test the antibodies in your blood to ensure its sustainability.”

“There has to be more to this,” Jena said in a firm tone, feeling a surge of resentment. She thought of all the questions the mad physician demanded to know about her creature. “I believe Dr. Michaels has alternative plans for me other than your cure.”

“I’m sorry, Miss McCain.” Lenny lowered his eyes, regretting his decision to ever put his trust in Dr. Michaels. There was no doubt the doctor was insane “After everything that’s come to light,” he continued, lifting his gaze, “I believe you may be right.” 

To be continued. . .




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference to terms and cast of characters used in this chapter, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends his life searching for their bonded mate. When two Breedline species experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. The bond is for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

Jena McCain - She is an inspiring artist with the ability to speak with the dead. Jena was attacked and bitten by an age-old creature and cursed with a lust for human blood. Now that she is to become the creature and hunt humans, instead of killing innocent people, she will only hunt evil.

Nicolas Ratcliff - He is immortal with the power of invisibility and supernatural speed. He works for the San Francisco Police Department as a detective. He's bonded with Jena McCain.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and the council head of the California Covenant.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon. His bonded mate is Tessa Fairchild. He's an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Dr. Henry Michaels - He is the head physician at Adam and Eve Pharmaceuticals, hired by the government to experiment on his own patients, mixing their DNA with animals to create a new species.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.