Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 15, 2021 Chapters:  ...22 23 -24- 25... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Michael and Cynthia are on the hunt!

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 24

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.

The rocking chair runners squeaked against the veranda floorboards. The old rooster strutted around the yard. His bright red, yellow, and orange feathers fluffed as he plumped up his breast and crowed. Michael unrolled the morning newspaper, glanced at the headlines, and tossed it aside. He opened one of the gold mining books and tried to read, but he was far too nervous to concentrate. 

 

He stood and paced the veranda, much the same as the rooster. Cynthia hadn’t been home since yesterday, and his imagination was running wild. When he’d arrived home, pumped with news about the gold and Annie,  he found a note posted on the refrigerator door.

 

Cynthia wrote, “Working late at the library and then I’ve plans to stay with a friend. Not to worry, I’ll be home in the morning. Love, Aunt Cyn.”

 

At eight a.m., Cynthia’s Land Rover turned into the drive. Michael sprang from the porch and raced to greet her.

 

“Where have you been? I’ve been worried sick about you.” Michael wrapped his arms around Cynthia as she stepped from the car.

 

“My gracious, Michael. Didn’t you get my note?” Cynthia closed the driver’s door and reached into the back seat for her overnight bag. “I told you I was staying with a friend.”

 

“I know, but you didn’t answer your phone. I was concerned.” Michael reached for her bag. “I’ll carry it for you.” Cynthia smiled and surrendered the small suitcase to her nephew.

 

“Is there coffee or tea? I could use a wake-up cup.” Cynthia climbed the steps and moved into the house. “It’s a gorgeous day.”

 

“You seem exceptionally cheerful this morning. You must have gotten an excellent night’s rest.”

 

“I had a perfect night indeed, dear.” Cynthia chuckled, “Not much sleep involved, though.” Michael’s eyes widened at his aunt’s remark but decided not to pursue that particular vein of conversation. He’d never considered she might have a male friend other than Darryl.

 

Cynthia poured herself a cup of coffee and then asked Michael, “Would you care to join me? I believe I have a few jelly scones left from yesterday.” Michael nodded and opened the cupboard to find saucers for their breakfast treat. Cynthia poured another cup of coffee and then carried them outside. “After we eat, and not a minute before, I’ll listen to your fabulous stories.”

 

After enjoying her jelly scone and coffee, Cynthia leaned back in the rocker with her eyes closed. “It’s a fabulous morning. I could sit here and listen to the birds sing all day.”

 

“Well, that’s just great!” Michael moaned. “Guess finding gold isn’t a big deal anymore.” He grabbed the saucers and his cup and marched into the house. 

“Michael, come back here.” Cynthia’s legs couldn’t move fast enough as she raced behind her nephew. “Michael! What are you talking about?”

 

Michael placed the dishes in the sink and turned to face his aunt. The smug look on his face said it all. “I wasn’t sure you’d be interested, but I might have found gold yesterday.”

 

“Interested? Are you out of your mind?” Cynthia was trembling as she grabbed her nephew’s shoulders. “Of course, I am interested. Are you sure it’s gold?”

 

Michael pulled the quartz rock from his pocket and handed it to Cynthia. “See the orangeish yellow? That’s gold.” Michael’s pride glowed from ear to ear. “It’s not much, but it’s something. I panned flakes too.”

 

“Oh, Michael, this is wonderful, but we have to keep it quiet till we can convince Liz to sell the land. No one can know about the gold.”

 

“Um… that’s the problem.”

 

“What’s the problem? You certainly didn’t tell anyone, did you?” Cynthia’s eyes widened. “Michael, tell me you didn’t say anything to anyone.”

 

“I didn’t, Aunt Cynthia. But…” Michael hadn’t realized how unfortunate it was that he’d had a visitor yesterday. 

 

“But what? Spit it out, Michael.” Cynthia’s temper was rising. “Who knows about the gold?”

 

“Yesterday, while I was panning, this little girl and her dog stumbled on my site. She saw the gold flakes and asked if I’d found a treasure.”

 

“What little girl? There’s no little girl at the winery.” Cynthia stared into blank space. “Unless someone is visiting Liz.”

 

“No, she said she lived in a cottage. She pointed to the north side of the ranch.” Cynthia’s expression was unsettling. Michael swallowed and added,  “She’s just a kid. She promised not to tell anyone. It’s just our secret.”

 

“Are you that naive? Of course, she’ll tell someone.” Cynthia stormed from the kitchen and out the front door with Michael racing behind her.

 

“Where are you going? We don’t even know who she is.” Michael wailed.

 

“If I know anything, I know that Darryl knows if a little girl is living on the ranch. And if she is, why’s it been such a secret? I am about to find out.” Cynthia marched across the road and up Liz’s driveway. 

 

**************

 

Two FBI agents cleared the veranda in seconds as Cynthia bustled toward the winery.

 

“Can I help you, ma’am?” Poppa yelled as he crossed the lawn in a few strides.

 

Focused on her current mission, Cynthia was tone-deaf to his yelling. She continued walking until Poppa reached her side and grabbed her arm. “Ma’am, can I help you?”

 

Cynthia yanked her arm away and growled, “I don’t know who you are, but get your hands off me.” His broad shoulders and bulky size forced her to step back as she reevaluated the situation.

 

“This is private property, ma’am. My instructions are to stop anyone from approaching.” Poppa stood eye to eye with the angry woman. “It’s a matter of safety precautions for Mrs. Hinkley.” He touched Cynthia’s elbow, attempting to reverse her direction. “Ma’am, if you’d only….”

 

Cynthia side-stepped Poppa, reclaiming her arm. “You ma’am me one more time, and you are going to regret it. I am Liz’s neighbor. We’re family. I come and go as I please. Do you understand?”

 

“No, I am sorry. My orders…” Poppa was shifting into controlling the subject mode. The other agent stood a few yards away, assessing but enjoying Poppa’s predicament. 

 

“You and your orders can go to hell.” Cynthia’s shrill voice screamed. “I am going to the winery to see Darryl.” She turned and started to jog away.

 

In three long strides, Poppa was squeezing Cynthia’s arm. “Afraid I can’t let you do that.” His actions set off a whirlwind of kicking, screaming, and cursing, but he refused to loosen his grip.

 

Darryl heard the commotion and rushed from inside the winery. It looked like a chicken fight, and the rooster might be losing. Though he couldn’t resist a smile, he rushed to Cynthia’s rescue.

 

“Poppa, it’s okay. I’ll handle it from here.”  He nodded at the agent, winked, and then escorted the damsel in distress away. Cynthia was hissing and sputtering. 

 

“Well, I’ve never… Can’t even make a neighborly visit anymore without being assaulted.” She pretended to check for bodily damage before asking,  “What’s going on, Darryl?” 

 

“Nothing really. Allie has been ill and needed a place to recuperate. Liz was uncomfortable being here alone, so she hired some men to guard the place.” Darryl shrugged his shoulders. “It’s no big deal, Cyn.”

 

“I’m not stupid, Darryl. That man was well trained.” She glared back at the house and the men retreating down the driveway.

 

“I can’t fault the man for being good at his job. Maybe in your case a little too good, but that’s what the man’s paid to do.” Darryl chuckled as he tried to ease the tension. 

 

“And I wasn’t born yesterday, young man. Now come along, get me some coffee because we have a few things to discuss.”

 

“Like what? I already told you about the men.” Darryl knew Cynthia was a bloodhound, and she was on the hunt. He needed to be careful.

 

“You forgot a few things, like cars arriving without headlights, a little girl and her dog, and a lot of comings and goings.”

 

Darryl’s mind whirled. The harmless old lady from across the street knew too much.






Summary... Cassidy is framed for murder. Allie goes undercover to protect Cassidy, but they are both stabbed. Cassidy's life is threatened again in the hospital, and she is pronounced dead (but actually in protective custody). Mason Caldwell runs many illegal businesses, including drugs and human trafficking. Jon, a priest and Cassidy's brother, has sold his soul. Mary, a caregiver, discovers her child she gave up for adoption thirty years ago. Cynthia and Michael are searching for gold on Liz's property. The mysterious woman (Faith) is dying from cancer and lives in a secret cottage with her daughter, Annie, Sebastion, and Mary. Darryl runs the winery, and Miguel is in charge of the vineyards. Garth and Hank are trying to solve the cases.




Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastion - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.