Family Non-Fiction posted August 15, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Country Living Perils......

Blessed Again!

by Begin Again


Blessed again!
 
Yesterday, for the first time, I regretted having moved to the country, ten miles from the city limits. Life is serene most of the time, but I discovered that it might be too disconnected when you need emergency assistance.
 
My “special needs” son, Johnny, was stung three times yesterday by bumblebees. He is deathly allergic to them.
 
A friend and I were resurfacing my blacktop driveway, and Johnny used a hand clipper to cut the overgrown hedge branches. Suddenly, he screamed he had been stung. I ran into the house for the epi-pen, only to discover the one I had left was a “training one.” It was empty.
 
I rummaged through cabinets and miraculously discovered an outdated one, given to me by one of the carpenters a few years ago. Something was better than nothing, which proved to be our saving grace.
 
I stabbed Johnny in the thigh. He was sweating, his eyes were red and glassy, the bites were swelling, and he was trembling. He said his chest hurt. It isn’t easy to get an accurate assessment from John because he doesn’t really know how to tell you. Instead, he’ll answer what he thinks you want to hear. In this case, that’s not what I needed from him.
 
My friend had a scanner on his cell phone. Our volunteer fire department has two ambulances, and both were toning out; they were on other calls. 911 transferred the call to West Suburban, another unit about twelve miles away.
 
Time was ticking, and we didn’t have any help yet. By the grace of God, the Byron Fire Department (in the neighboring county but only 7 miles from me) heard the scanner traffic and said they would respond. By the time they arrived, Johnny’s blood pressure was 276/198, and his pulse was 166. They loaded him into the ambulance and drove the ten miles to the hospital. His mother was beyond grateful.
 
The West Suburban EMTs arrived as they were loading Johnny. Their GPS had routed them the long way. The Sheriff Department arrived in time to say hello and goodbye.
 
Knowing Johnny was disabled, the Byron EMT stayed with him until I arrived. He had explained that Johnny might not be able to answer their questions, and I was on the way. I will be forever grateful for that extra moment of kindness extended to my son. (Who, by the way, thought the ambulance ride was a blast.)
 
Due to Covid restrictions, Johnny and I spent the entire day in a small room with our masks on – regardless of vaccinations. His heart was monitored, EKGs were run, meds were given with prednisone, blood tests were taken, and we waited. Finally, as night approached, his blood pressure was under 200, and they said I could take him home with medications.
Of course, the pharmacy was closed, so I will be making a trip this morning when they open. The hospital gave him enough until then. The day’s events hadn’t affected his appetite because his first words to me were can I eat. Of course, he could eat, and he did!
 
By the time I had him settled in for the night and contacted the necessary family with results, I was exhausted. The internet hasn’t been co-operating either, but that’s nothing new in rural areas. I type, it freezes, disconnects, and then I must type again. I wanted to log in to FanStory last night, but….
 
This morning, I turned on my computer and discovered 108 reviews, 29 messages, and 4 replies. I’m definitely not complaining, but I hope everyone will understand about late, short responses. I appreciate all your time and kindness, but I am overwhelmed.
 
John says he’s tired but feels okay. Oh yeah, and I still have a driveway to finish. LOL
 
I thank the Lord for blessing us yesterday and guiding the wonderful men from Byron to our home with assistance. I thank each of you for your kindness and understanding.
 
Here’s a basket of smiles, hugs, and love; please help yourself
.



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.