Supernatural Science Fiction posted August 9, 2021 Chapters:  ...75 76 -77- 78... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

The Stranger/Part Four

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. If you notice typos or mistakes, please point them out. Stay safe & enjoy!
Previously. . .
Manuel’s nerves were pins and needles, his heart pounding in his ears, but now that the bats were out of sight, he slowly started to unwind. As they headed toward an unknown destination, a dark figure suddenly appeared in the distance. Instinctively, Manuel put his hand on his holster.

The dark figure just stood there. It was hard to tell, but it looked to be a man. Drakon shined the flashlight toward his face, capturing a tall, lanky man with hair the color of ash. The long strands were pulled back, revealing pale skin and haunting features. Then, he slowly began walking toward them with his hands clasped behind his back.

No one moved, just stood there watching him… waiting.

Continued. . .
Jena sniffed the air, but there was nothing. No scent of evil.

Drakon finally called out, “Whoever you are, stop right there.” He kept the flashlight steady, trying to get a better look at his face. “I’m warning you. Don’t come any closer.”

The lone figure came to an abrupt halt. “Please…” He held up a hand, shielding his face from the blinding light. “I mean you no harm.”

“Who are you?” asked Drakon.

“My name is Leonard,” said the man, slightly bowing his head. The words rolled off his tongue like silk. “Leonard Saxon III. But please, call me Lenny.”

Lenny,” whispered Nicolas.

Drakon turned to Nicolas. “You know him?”

“Yes.” Nicolas nodded. “We go way back.”

Drakon raised a speculative brow. “Like how far back?” 

“A century or two,” Nicolas replied, sending the hairs on Drakon’s neck on full salute.

“Nicolas Ratcliff…” Lenny began, his voice etched with bewilderment. “Is that really you, my long-lost friend?”  

“Yes.” Nicolas stepped forward and raised his voice. “It is I, Nicolas.”

“Ah, splendid,” said Lenny. His satiny voice glittered with excitement. “It’s wonderful to see you again, my friend. Might I come a little closer? It’s been too long since we last spoke. And there’s something very important I’d like to ask one of your…” He briefly paused to look at Jena, "…companions.” 

“Please.” Nicolas held up a halting hand. “Wait there a moment. Let me speak with my friends.”

“Of course.” Lenny smiled. “Please, take your time.”

While Lenny waited for permission to approach, Nicolas looked toward the others. “I can assure you, he’s not a threat.” He kept his voice low. “Lenny and I go way back. Almost a few centuries back. You must understand, living forever isn’t always what it’s cracked up to be. After I was made immortal, I stopped aging and eventually had to say good-bye to family and friends before my unusual youth aroused suspicion. I met Lenny when I left New Orleans and moved to Manhattan. We immediately became good friends. He was very kind to me and understood my situation due to his own immortality.”   
  
Jace leaned in close. “If he’s immortal, what the hell is he?” 

“A vampire,” Nicolas simply said.

Jace instantly looked toward Lenny and then back at Nicolas, his jaw nearly hitting the floor. Finally, he managed to say, “Are you freakin’ kidding me?”

“I know what you’re thinking,” said Nicolas. “But if you give me a moment, I can explain. Lenny is not what you think. He’s a vampire, yes, but he doesn’t kill people. There are different types of vampires. Lenny’s kind are peaceful. He was created by a Daywalker.”

“Daywalker?” Jace blurted, shrugging his shoulders. “Are you saying vampires can actually walk in the daylight?”  

“Some of them.” Nicolas’s eyes roamed over the others and then back to Jace. “Daywalkers are the first vampires in existence. They were born into Vampirism, not turned. They are what you call True Bloods. Although there are other peaceful vampires like Lenny, but they are not True Bloods. They’re hybrids, created when a True Blood turns a human. And each group has their own special uniqueness about them. Nevertheless, they all have one thing in common.”

“Let me take a wild guess.” Jace smirked. “They all drink blood?”

“Yes,” Nicolas replied. “They need it to survive.”

“Well, what do you think he wants?” Jace persisted. “And did you see the way he looked at Jena?”

“I don’t know.” Nicolas averted his eyes from Jace and looked to Jena with a soft expression. “And yes, I noticed.”

“You mentioned something about each group having a special uniqueness,” said Jem, bringing Nicolas back to focus. “What exactly can they do?”

“Hybrids are a bit like Daywalkers,” Nicolas began to explain. “They’re both immortal and have superior strength and speed, heightened senses, and they can perceive deception, and they also have the gift of persuasion. Daywalkers are the only vampires that can survive daylight, possess the power of levitation, produce offspring, and the ability to shift into bats.” 

“Aha…” said Jace, raising his voice a little. “So those bats we came across were actually vampires.”

“It’s possible.” Nicolas arched a brow. “Or they could have just been regular bats.” 
  
“And what about the other kind?” asked Manuel, staring at Nicolas with avid curiosity. “I mean, the blood-thirsty killer kind.”

“Unfortunately, Detective, there are still a few of those left. They are known as Biters.”

“Huh?’ asked Jace. “What the hell are Biters?”

“It’s a term the True Bloods have always used,” said Nicolas. “They are brutal killers and true enemies to the Daywalkers and the hybrids. They evolved by mistake. A defect that was created by mixing the DNA of a Daywalker and a succubus. Rather nasty and downright malicious individuals if you ask me.”

Jace made a face like he’d just bit into a lemon. “How do you mean?”

“Biters are all females. They use their sexual physicality, seduction, and hypnotic abilities to lure in their victims.”

“What else can these Biters do?” asked Manuel.

“They are blood thirsty immortal beings with superior strength and speed. But there are things they can do that the others cannot. Biters are very clever when it comes to hypnotizing their victims. Since they are all female, they have a greater power of persuasion than Daywalkers or hybrids, and they can communicate with one another telepathically. It’s like they’re subconscious is linked together somehow. And their bloodlust for humans, especially males, is uncontrollable.” 

“If these Biters are all females,” said Frank, “then how do they multiply?”

“With venom,” Nicolas explained. “Only True Bloods can produce offspring. If a Biter decides to turn a human, and they only choose females, they bite their victim and secrete a contagious venom. Shortly after, the body will slip into a comatose state until the venom takes over. In less than twenty-four hours, they will be transformed, but not fully. The newly vampire must drink human blood to complete the transformation.”

“Why do they only turn females?” asked Jena.

“It’s just in their nature to seek females,” said Nicolas. “They view males as the weaker sex and only use them for food.” 

Manuel sighed, rubbing at his temples, thinking he’d stepped into a world that didn’t make sense. “I feel like I’m in the Bizarro World.”

Nicolas lightly chuckled. “I completely understand.”
  
“What if their victims don’t drink blood?” asked Frank. “Will they turn back human again?”

Nicolas shook his head. “They will die of starvation. But if their maker is killed before they ingest human blood, they will eventually, and painfully, go back to their human form. The same is true if a Daywalker or hybrid turns a human.”  
             
“Un-freaking-believable.” Jace slowly shook his head. “How is it we never heard of them?”

“We have,” Tim interjected. “At least our ancestors have. According to our archives, they went extinct many years ago.”

“Your ancestors were fooled into believing it was true,” said Nicolas. “Since the Breedline were true enemies with the vampires, their feud went on for many generations. I witnessed the last battle between your kind and the vampires in 1892. It was during the Civil War. The vampires, including True Bloods, were believed to be soulless. In the eyes of your ancestors, they were evil, an abomination. And correct me if I’m wrong, but what I’ve learned over the years, the Breedline were created for the sole purpose of protecting mankind. Am I right?”

When Tim and a few of the others nodded, Nicolas went on to say, “Well, that’s exactly what they did, just as you still do today. They protected humans. And back then, vampires were their biggest rivals. Although the war they fought was with the Biters. The Daywalkers and the hybrids remained peaceful, promising to only take sustenance from animals. So, your ancestors left them alone, but only if they promised to never turn a human again.”

“What about the Biters?” asked Tim. “If our ancestors thought they’d destroyed them all, how did they remain undetected all these years?”

“The ones who survived went secretly underground for years,” Nicolas continued. “They only came out to feed off the homeless, drifters, prostitutes, or whoever they thought wouldn’t be missed. And when it was believed that all vampires were nonexistent, the Breedline eventually stopped searching for them. It was like they erased them from history.” 

“So now they’re all out and in the open?” asked Jace.

“The Daywalkers and the hybrids keep to themselves,” said Nicolas. “They’re very discreet. The last thing they want is their identity known.”

“And what about the others?” asked Manuel. “I mean, the Biters. Are they out of hiding?”

Nicolas shrugged. “I do not know.” 
                
Tim cleared his throat. “Let’s see what your friend has to say. I’m curious to find out why he’s here and what he wants. And I’m hoping he’s not assisting Dr. Michaels.”

“Well…,” Nicolas’s gaze flickered to Lenny. “He’s waiting. Let’s go find out.”

“Wait a minute.” Jace stopped Nicolas by putting a hand over his shoulder. “Before we go talk to this guy, I want to know how you kill one of those bloodsuckers.”

“There are only three things that can kill a vampire. Sunlight, starvation, and beheading.”

“What happened to the wooden stake to the heart?” asked Jace. “And holy water, crosses, or silver?”

“That’s all just a myth,” Nicolas replied.

“So,” said Jace, jabbing a thumb in Lenny’s direction. “If your friend over there starts some shit, you’re saying since there’s no sunlight down here, we’ll have to lop off his head in order to kill the bastard?”

“Since he’s a hybrid, yes,” said Nicolas. “Beheading will destroy his kind.”

Jace was liking Nicolas more and more. He deviously smiled at him. “Good. To. Know.”  

To be continued. . .  
 
 
 




Artwork: Google/FaceBook

NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

Jena McCain - She is an inspiring artist with the ability to speak with the dead. Jena was attacked and bitten by an age-old creature and cursed with a lust for human blood. Now that she is to become the creature and hunt humans, instead of killing innocent people, she will only hunt evil.

Nicolas Ratcliff - He is immortal with the power of invisibility and supernatural speed. He works for the San Francisco Police Department as a detective. He's bonded with Jena McCain.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon. His bonded mate is Tessa Fairchild. He's an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and the council head of the California Covenant.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species and bonded to Cassie Chamberlain.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.