Letters and Diary Non-Fiction posted August 7, 2021 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Everyone remembers their first love...

A chapter in the book Memories of This World

Memories ch. 12: First Love

by estory

I watched Patricia walking slowly through my mother's backyard garden in her lace blouse and blue jeans. It was an early summer's evening and the daylight seemed to settle around us in that soft, tenderness of light that only the embers of an early summer's day can make. The rhododendron, the bluebells and the roses were all blooming. As it grew slowly darker Patricia moved closer to me and her delicate perfume was like the fragrance of the roses blooming white, pink and red in the garden. She seemed to be waiting for a sign from me; her body a challenge and a promise at the same time.

I felt that I should say something, do something. I walked up beside her, as she smelled first the pink rose, and then the red one.

"Which of the roses is your favorite?" I asked her.

"The red one," she said warmly, turning to face me. "Red is for romance."

"Do you want me to cut one for you?" I asked her.

She smiled shyly, and nodded.

I went into my father's shed and got his clippers and snipped off a perfect red rose for her, tightly wound with its velvet petals, on an elegant, long stem. I handed it to her with a flourish of my hand.

She put her arms around my shoulders and held her face up to me. With a beating heart that flushed my lips I put my arms around the curves of her waist and leaned in and kissed her. She stood still as I ran my hands over the curves of her hips, her back, and her shoulders.

All the years of waiting and searching had come to an end, for one moment at least, and the whole world we were in seemed contained in that garden of red and white roses. Even the stars overhead were standing still.




I wanted to capture something of the relationship between men and women in this little piece, along with this sense of focus that love brings, this sense that the world melts around you and nothing else matters but this one person in your arms. So I chose the images carefully, and tried to describe the moment carefully, using these flowers from my mother's garden and the bold outline of Patricia standing in it, the symbol of the one red rose on its long stem, the stars standing still overhead. All the challenge of the moment and the promise of the moment all in one instant. estory
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. estory All rights reserved.
estory has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.