Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 4, 2021 Chapters:  ...16 17 -18- 19... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Liz reveals her childhood secrets

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 18

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.









Garth stayed with his agents, so Liz returned home alone. She stopped to speak with Darryl, explaining her hasty retreat and then continued into the house to find Hank.

She could hear his voice in the study, so she headed that way.

“Emmy, girl, you are the best. I’ll get this information to Garth as soon as I can.” He grinned at Liz as Emmy offered a few loving words to her husband, and then he added, “Liz just returned from the hospital, so I’ll talk to you later. Love you, Emmy.”

“There was no need for you to end your call with Emmy. I am sure she misses you, though I can’t imagine why.” Liz couldn’t help but tease Hank. Having added a few extra pounds since his retirement, he reminded her of a loveable teddy bear. “Would you like me to bring some coffee before I fill you in?”

“That would be great. I brewed some before I called Emmy, so grab the pot and some mugs. No need to be fancy.”  

“Great! Be back in a few.” Hank’s style of coffee was almost an espresso with just enough water so the spoon didn’t stand at attention in the mug. Liz reminded herself to add extra packets of sugar as she headed to the kitchen.

Hank busied himself with the faxes Emmy had sent, especially the ones on Sofia Sanchez. It appeared Mason Caldwell spared no expense on his housekeeper. She lived in a renovated carriage house on Caldwell property. Her checking account showed monthly deposits of $10,000 and a recent $100,000 posted a few days after the trial. She had an open tab at one of the most elite retail stores around. Sofia was not living on a housekeeper’s income.

A low wolf whistle escaped Hank’s mouth. He’d figured Mason was taking care of the woman, but this was far more than what he’d ever expected.

“What are you whistling about, Hank?” Liz returned to the study with a tray of cookies, leftover meringue pie, the coffee pot, sugar, creamer, and two mugs. She placed the tray on the table and then opened the armoire. “I forgot the plates and silverware, but there’s extra hiding in one of these drawers.” She found what she wanted in the first drawer.

“Mmm mmm, are those homemade chocolate chip cookies?” Hank’s fingers were in motion before Liz could even answer. “No matter, they’re calling my name, regardless.”

Liz laughed. “Emmy is going to have a few words for both of us when she discovers how we’ve been eating.”

“A man can not live on love alone.” Hank popped one of the cookies into his mouth. “Oh man, these are good.” He grabbed another one from the tray and settled back in his chair with a steaming coffee mug in one hand and a cookie in the other. 

Liz joined him with her coffee. “I think this is the first time we’ve been alone since you got here. It’s peaceful, isn’t it?”

“Yes, it is. For being a bustling business with the vineyards and the winery, it appears you and Jack have it operating quite well.”

“That’s all on Jack. I didn’t get involved much at all. Darryl is taking care of the day-to-day operation right now.” Liz sighed and stared into her coffee mug for a few moments.

“Everything okay, Liz?” Apprehension played across her face.

“I’m worried about Allie and Cassidy, of course. Though Allie appeared to be much better than I expected.”

“Yes, Garth said she’s a fighter. She was lucky the shiv went into the abdominal wall but missed her intestinal organs. They stabbed Cassidy numerous times, but Garth says her prognosis is good too.”

“I felt much better after I saw both of them.” Liz fidgeted with her coffee cup and then placed it back on the table.

“Then what’s bothering you? Is there something I should know?”

“Remember the night we opened the safe, and I got upset?” She glanced at Jack's desk and the closed safe.

“Sure, but that’s understandable. We went through papers that Jack left, knowing he wouldn’t be here if we were reading them. That’s tough.” Hank waited for her, giving her time to gather her thoughts before she continued.

“I suppose that was some of it, but it went much deeper than that.” Liz tipped her head and stared at the ceiling.

“You don’t have to tell me, Liz. I understand if it’s something you’d rather not share. Was it because Jack didn’t tell you about the woman in the cottage?”

“That surprised me, but I can accept Jack thought it was for her safety and mine.” Liz picked up the coffee mug and swallowed her coffee, and then replaced it on the table. “It’s silly when I think about it now, but that night it smacked me a good one.”

Hank reached for another cookie, and Liz raised an eyebrow and laughed. “Don’t blame me when Emmy puts you on a diet.”  

“Wait a minute! You served them, and I’m being polite and eating them.” Hank laughed and bit off a big chunk of the cookie. "Can I help they are so good?"

Liz shooked her head and then continued, “Reverend Mother Margaret signed those documents. Faith was born on May 2, 1991, and adopted two days later by the Cranstons.” She paused and took another swallow of her coffee. “Faith and I have quite a lot in common. I was born on May 2, 1991, but unlike her, I lived at St. Francis Covenant until I was almost eight years old. I was a sickly child, quite frail and homely. I don’t remember much; lots of doctors and reciting prayers.

“My parents were past the acceptable adopting age, but I believe the Reverend Mother thought it would be my only chance. I couldn’t have asked for better parents. I never doubted how much they loved me. My parents preferred not to discuss my adoption, so we didn't. I thought we had a lifetime to talk. I was their daughter and that’s all that mattered.

“I had the best care their money could buy. My health improved. I studied at the best schools and was taught to be a lady. Katherine, my governess, was an older sister to me. She taught me everything from boys to makeup, and how one deals with losing your parents at seventeen. She also introduced me to Jack.”

“Sounds as if your life ended up pretty good. Being a young child in a convent doesn’t sound like fun, but you ended up with a wonderful family, and let’s not forget Jack.”

“I know. I was just emotional. St. Francis Covenant cared for two babies; one was adopted, and the other waited for almost eight years. I can’t help but wonder if life would have been different.”

“Liz, listen to yourself. Would you change your life? It sounds like your parents loved you deeply. And what about Jack? Would you change that?”

“No! Of course not! I was just emotional.” Tears glistened in Liz's eyes and she brushed them away.

“I need to take a trip out to that cottage and introduce myself to your neighbors. I am curious why the Sweet Haven went into foreclosure before you and Jack put an offer on it. Why wouldn’t Faith have fought to keep it?”

“I don’t know. No one mentioned any woman, at least not to me.”

“Would you like to visit them?” Hank wanted to make the first visit alone, but he felt he needed to offer.

“No, I don’t think I’m ready to cross that bridge yet. I need to prepare a room so Allie can recuperate here. Even Cassidy, when they let her leave the hospital. I’ll be busy.”

“That’s fine. There’s no rush for you to meet her, I guess.”

“I have several boxes that belonged to the Cranstons. I believe one had pictures and books. Maybe Faith would like to have them. If not, she can discard what she doesn’t wish to keep. Would you mind taking them with you?”

“Sure, I’d be happy to do it. Show me the boxes, and I’ll load them into the Jeep.”




Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.