Biographical Non-Fiction posted August 3, 2021 Chapters:  ...19 20 -21- 22... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Be Careful What You Ask For

A chapter in the book Ruminations from a Winding Career

Cheerleaders.1

by Rdfrdmom2




Background
Memories from a long career that took some unexpected turns.
When I agreed to become the varsity cheerleading sponsor at the end of my first year of teaching, I quickly became aware of two things: a) my time was never again going to be my own; and, b) this group was seriously in need of written rules which needed to be signed by the cheerleader, her parent, and myself. Who knew cheerleaders practiced two-three times a week plus cheered at one-three ball games a week from the end of August until the middle of March? Worse than that, what made the co-captains (seniors in high school) think they were in charge of making the rules?
 
The rules were fairly simple, at least from my perspective. Each girl had to agree to the following (in no particular order):
  1. Maintain a minimum 2.0 average;*
  2. Receive no disciplinary referrals;
  3. Maintain good attendance;
  4. Adhere to the school dress code;
  5. Be in school at least ½ day on days of games and/or practices;
  6. Attend all practices and games unless excused: illness, deaths in families, family emergencies; other extenuating circumstances. These should be cleared with the sponsor whenever practicable. Failure to do so may result in dismissal from the squad.
  7. Will participate in all fundraising activities;
  8. Will only wear the cheerleader uniform on approved occasions;
  9. Travel to and from all games with the team/squad unless a written request from the parent has been approved by the sponsor in advance (prior to leaving for the game);
  10. Be on time for departure from school for games. Buses will not be held for latecomers. Cheerleaders who miss the bus will not be allowed to cheer at the game if they arrive later.
 
The co-captains were not pleased with many of these rules – especially having to travel with the team/squad to games. Once they realized the rules were not going to change, they asked for a meeting with the principal to ask him to override them.
 
When they sat down to meet with him, Mr. Miles said, “Aren’t you the same girls who wanted Mrs. Holland to be your sponsor?”
 
“Well, yes, but…”
 
“No, buts. You got what you asked for. Now you’re going to have to deal with those rules which, by the way, I approved. Now, is there anything else I can do for you?”
 
“No, sir.”
 
“Have a good day. And don’t be late for practice!”
 
*I had the first 2.0 (C average) rule in our school district – long before the school district adopted it 12 years later. Before that, students only had to pass 4 out of 6 subjects.
 

 




I loved my cheerleaders. We had some really interesting times but we got off to a bit of a rocky start. I was their sponsor for 8 years so it worked out. A special thanks to VMarguarite for the use of "Goodbye to this School Year" to enhance this work. The bus is to simulate us waving good-bye to the first cheerleader to miss the team bus for a football game. Thanks for reading. Jan
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Rdfrdmom2 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Rdfrdmom2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.