Supernatural Science Fiction posted August 2, 2021 Chapters:  ...74 75 -76- 77... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Curse/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE CURSE

The Stranger/Part 3

by scongrove




Background
Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. If you catch typos of mistakes, please point them out. Stay safe & enjoy!
As Drakon placed his hand on the silver handle, he paused and looked over his shoulder, eyeballing the others. “Stay close and be on alert. We could still be walking into a trap.”

There was a clicking sound as Detective Manuel Sanchez racked the slide of his semi-automatic, then came a similar noise as his partner, Detective Frank Perkins, chambered a round in his weapon.  
     
The moment everyone nodded a silent understanding, Drakon opened the door and poised the flashlight ahead. Then he cautiously stepped inside the dark entrance with his free hand palming the Glock and his eyes on alert. A strange noise, like the sound of wings flapping, halted his movement. It was so abrupt, Jace slammed into the back of him with an “oof.”  

“Shit,” Jace grunted, feeling as though he’d face-planted a brick wall.

Drakon held up a hand. “Hang tight. I hear something up ahead.”

Jace sighed. “I don’t hear—”

“Shh…” Drakon cut him off. “Listen.”

Jace stood listening, his head slightly tilted, one eyebrow cocked, wondering what the hell Drakon had heard. He couldn’t make out a damn thing. And based on the narrowing of Tim’s eyes, he was probably pondering the same thing.

After a few minutes had passed and nothing made a peep, Jena slowly crept forward. “I don’t hear anything,” she said, trying to keep her guttural voice low.

Jace looked to Jena. “That’s what I said.”

“What exactly did you hear?” asked Tim.

“I’m not sure.” Drakon shook his head. “But it sounded like a bird or something. I could have sworn I heard wings flapping.”

“Maybe it was just your mind playing tricks on you,” Jace commented. “This place does give me the creeps.” He felt a shiver work its way up his spine. “It reminds me of Dracula’s dungeon.”

“Or it was a bat,” Frank pointed out.

“A bat?” Manuel frantically looked up.

Jace lightly chuckled. “You’re not afraid of bats are you, Detective?”

Manuel shot Jace a dirty look. “Oh shut-up, Chamberlain.”

Jace laughed again. A little louder this time.

Drakon finally shrugged it off, figuring Jace was right, and it was just his imagination. “Come on.” He motioned to the others. “Let’s keep moving. And you,” he said to Jace, “not so close this time. Kapeesh?”

“Yeah, yeah.” Jace rolled his eyes. “Whatever.”

As the group made their way down the dark, underground maze beneath Adam and Eve Pharmaceuticals, they kept their eyes peeled, and their ears on high alert for the slightest noise, preparing themselves for anything. 

They’d only traveled a short distance when this time, they all heard a sound.
Flap, flap, flap.

Drakon halted and the others stopped behind him and listened.

The strange noise came again—a flapping sound, raising the hairs on the back of Manuel’s neck.

“It’s coming from over there, I think,” whispered Manuel, pointing toward a dark corner on the concreted wall. Although, it was impossible to tell for sure considering how dark it was.

Then the noise stopped.  

“Well hell,” Drakon said, releasing an aggravated sigh. “Let’s just keep moving. Whatever is making that noise doesn’t seem to be a threat. If it was, it would have already made a move.”

They continued further, readying themselves for something to spring out, when Drakon stopped again. “I see something.” He aimed the flashlight up high. “Over there.”

The others looked to where Drakon shined the light, and in the distance, perched on the ceiling, were hundreds, if not thousands, of tiny glowing eyes. Bat’s eyes. As they blinked, it was like a string of twinkling Christmas lights all bunched together in a cluster.   

Manuel didn’t move, his eyes stunned. And terrified.

“Holy shit,” Jace muttered. “Now that’s a lot of freakin’ bats.”

Jem peered around Jace’s back. “Where’d they all come from?”

“Hell if I know.” Drakon shook his head. “But I’m guessing this is their nesting area.”

“Nesting area?” asked Manuel. His low voice held a blend of distaste and worry. “What in the hell is that supposed to mean?”

“It means where they roost and sleep during the day,” Frank chimed in. “This place is kinda like a cave where predators can’t get to them. They’re nocturnal, so this place provides a perfect dark shelter. They only hunt during the night.”

Manuel's brows pinched together. "And what exactly do they hunt?"
 
“Don’t worry, partner.” Frank smiled, clapping a hand over Manuel’s shoulder. “They only forage on bugs.”

Manuel blew out a sigh of relief. “You mean, they’re not bloodsuckers?”

Frank chuckled and shook his head.

Jace bared his teeth and flashed them at Manuel. “I vant to suck your blood,” he said, mimicking a Bela Lugosi voice. “Bleh, bleh, bleh.”

Without saying a word, Jem frowned at his twin brother.

“Laugh it up, Chamberlain,” Manuel said in an irritated voice. “I hope one of those flying rats swoop down and bites you square on the ass.”

“Now, now.” Nicolas stepped between Jace and Manuel. “Play nice, guys.”

“Ah, come on, Detective,” said Roman as he gathered close. “Don’t get so uptight. You know Jace is just joking around.” 

“I’m just messing with you, man,” said Jace, offering Manuel a fist pump.

After a few moments of silence, Jace inched his knuckles closer. “Come on, Detective. Don’t leave me hanging.”
 
“All right, then.” Manuel bumped knuckles with him. “Just give me a break, would ya? I have a phobia when it comes to heights, and creepy and crawly things. And I don’t know what’s worse…” He visibly shivered. “Rats or bats?” 

“Okay.” Jace dipped his head. “Point taken.”

“There’s one good thing about those beady-eyed creatures,” said Drakon.

“And what’s that?” asked Manuel.

“They had to get in from somewhere,” Drakon explained. “And that means there’s an opening somewhere in the direction we’re heading. They couldn’t of came from where we entered. Unless bats can open doors.”

“Good point,” said Tim. “Let’s continue on, and hopefully, it’s not far from here.”

“I sure hope those bats don’t get all stirred up,” Jace said, pointedly looking at Manuel with a goofy grin. “Just saying.”

Manuel narrowed his eyes and grumbled something under his breath.

As soon as the group started forward, the bats started to stir. Then, all at once, their wings furiously began to flap in unison. The second the colony took flight, squeaking in protest, it was like a swarm of angry birds.

Drakon instantly ducked. “Everyone, get down!”

Most of the others followed Drakon’s warning and ducked for cover. Jena on the other hand, didn’t seem to be bothered by the winged creatures. She stood there and watched in fascination as they flapped their tiny wings and circled her. Then, in a matter of seconds, they swooped back up and flew away, seemingly heading in the direction they were going. It wasn’t long before the winged creatures disappeared into the darkness.

“All right,” said Drakon. “They’re gone. Let’s get a move on.” He pointed the flashlight ahead. “This has to lead somewhere.”

Manuel’s nerves were pins and needles, his heart pounding in his ears, but now that the bats were out of sight, he slowly started to unwind. As they headed toward an unknown destination, a dark figure suddenly appeared in the distance. Instinctively, Manuel put his hand on his holster.

The dark figure just stood there. It was hard to tell, but it looked to be a man. Drakon shined the flashlight toward his face, capturing a tall, lanky man with hair the color of ash. The long strands were pulled back, revealing pale skin and haunting features. Then, he slowly began walking toward them with his hands clasped behind his back.

No one moved, just stood there watching him… waiting.

To be continued. . .




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters in this chapter, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into wolf form if they are born an identical twin. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. The Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans. Although they live among humans, their species is secret. In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illness or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only way to kill a Breedline.
All male Breedlines change into their first wolf at the age of eighteen. Female Breedlines do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of their Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs its laws and oversees the species population.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends his life searching for their bonded mate. When two Breedline species experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. The bond is for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

Jena McCain - She is an inspiring artist with the ability to speak with the dead. Jena was attacked and bitten by an age-old creature and cursed with a lust for human blood. Now that she is to become the creature and hunt humans, instead of killing innocent people, she will only hunt evil.

Nicolas Ratcliff - He is immortal with the power of invisibility and supernatural speed. He works for the San Francisco Police Department as a detective. He's bonded with Jena McCain.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species who later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast, inherited by the Chiang-Shih demon. His bonded mate is Tessa Fairchild. He's an IT engineer and the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's identical twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon, which gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electrical energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and the council head of the California Covenant.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species and bonded to Cassie Chamberlain.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - He is a homicide detective at the San Francisco Police Department who late discovers he carries the Breedline genetics. His partner is Detective Frank Perkins. His sister is Lailah.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.