General Non-Fiction posted August 1, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Horrors! Gold medalist devolves to bronze

Just Short of Perfection

by Elizabeth Emerald


News Flash: US Olympian gymnast Suni Lee, gold medalist in Thursday's overall four-part event, front-runner for today's individual competition on the uneven bars, MADE A MISTAKE.

Could have fooled me; her performance seemed flawless.


As it happened, Suni ended up with the bronze: third best gymnast in the WORLD. Meantime, when after flubbing her routine she knew she'd "lost," Suni fought back tears.

Suni had cried openly three days prior when she realized she'd won the gold; she was understandably euphoric. Today's tears were shed on account of profound disappointment in her flawed performance. It was especially painful to witness; the mandatory mask Suni donned as soon as she came off the floor served to emphasize her eyes.

Given the tremendous pressure these women endure, from both within and without, it's a wonder Suni didn't follow Simone to the sidelines.


She will be competing in the balance beam finals Tuesday.

* * * * * *

Ironically, Suni perked up when she learned she'd earned the bronze; after her screw-up she hadn't expected to place. 








 



Recognized


Gymnast by VMarguarite on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!


Simone Biles resigned from the US team competition after she messed up in the first component of the event.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.